• Advertisement

Water on Rural Property - Well or Cistern?

Goldie
Canada

Re: Water on Rural Property - Well or Cistern?

Postby Goldie » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:05 am

I would never consider a property with only a cistern for water. A well is a requirement .

What would a person do in a SHTF , there would be no water refills and your neighbours would be wanting to rob your water
stash. You would always be thinking of water water water. You would need to relocate in a long term SHTF
or permanent SHTF , end of world as we know it. Water is the #1 for survival.

3500 - 5000 gallon of water will cost a variety of prices depending on location. I get my pool topped up
at spring opening , and it can cost $ 150.00 for 5000 gallons. I always dread having to call twice later in the summer
to top up the pool again as it is so dry it evaporates so quickly .

Now a cistern , there are above ground and below ground. Above ground cisterns need to be made for
winter . Having a cistern for people on a well is a great idea as a backup for draughts during the summer.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 am

Just waiting on last reports on the well water. The 3700 gal cistern is under ground. When I get a chance, I'll try to find a decent 500 gal or so tank to keep in the garage as well. Should be an easy sell for Mrs HP. Was wondering about the cistern, but I guess if needs be, down spouts from the house could probably be redirected into the cistern, perhaps also rig a tarp as an enormous funnel to collect rainwater. Not ideal, but so is dealing with a well when the pump doesn't work.

I'll also work on back ups, like generator access to run the self band well pumps and the furnace motor. Then will look at solar to do that for me. Eventually, install a wood stove downstairs. Ta Da!

As for neighbors stealing my water, I guess they would also all be on wells and/or cisterns and I'd like to hope that on the country side, most people can get along. Work together. Give some grain to feed the chickens and make fresh bread, I'll get you some eggs in exchange sort of thing.
0 x

offgrid

Postby offgrid » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 pm

Bstew33 wrote:It is highly recommended to pump out your system once a year. Yes you don't have to buy it is highly recommended. I know since I've installed a lot of them and worked on them. For warranty and such you have to. When they pump it out they are to leave 12-18 inches of the slurry in the bottom of the tank. That helps for the bacterial action to take place without losing it all. I know of places that have gone years without pumping out and yes it can work but it also affects how effective the tank is. And for the 150$ it costs to pump it out why not just pump it once a year. It helps everything be more efficient if properly maintained.

Totally agreed, I pump mine out once a year (spring) if I leave it longer than that I start getting sewage particles going into the effluent chamber. That
may not be a huge problem for a pump out system, but for a gravity flow siphon system like mine, I don't want to saturate the field with sediment.
Thus reducing the efficiency of the field.
If you own a large enough piece of property to legally spread the sewage, you can pump it out and spread it yourself.
It's a shitty job though. :lol:
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Ours is a deep 300 ft water well! I wouldn't go without a well either!!!
Helicopilot what came of the water situation on your new property?!
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 am

Dakota wrote:Ours is a deep 300 ft water well! I wouldn't go without a well either!!!
Helicopilot what came of the water situation on your new property?!

We have the well but it is not used. Water quality is very mediocre, even after filtration. Lots of nitrates and other stuff. We couldn't get a G/Hr rate (I'm disappointed not to have that info) form the inspectors. Neighbours across the road say they can only draw a bathtub worth before the pump starts to pull sand from the well. The well on the property being ~ 30 years old, I'm not planning on investing on it's use. I might run a PEX line to an outdoor tap though.

So we truck in water, about every 5 weeks.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:10 am

Crappy! No chance to drill a new one? or is that down on the list of whenever $. I know our groups been talking bout our hand pump for several years and just this year it may be realized due to costs. Surprised the poor water of the well wasn't mentioned prior to sale...buggers!!! We have friends further in the mountains that have to get water brought in, they drilled 3 times with no luck and gave up as it is expensive.
Well....water catchment is beneficial. We bought several square 4X4 food quality plastic cubes (in Calgary) that we cleaned out and use to collect water off the garage, house and greenhouse (approx 500gal per cube). We've attached hoses to the attachment on the cubes and they work well just with gravity to water the garden, animals and other. Winter is the issue!
Sorry to hear-Good luck with it!!
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 am

I had expectations that the water was going to be mediocre at best, as it seems to be the case around Edmonton. We had the reports for the well water quality as well. The last owners expended probably $8,000 in filtration and pressure systems, new pumps, etc and though they never told us why, ended up putting in a 3700 Gal cisterns. I guess the issue of pressure and sustaining a family with water caused them to switch. Drilling another well would be quite expensive at this point, especially that I can't expect drinking water out of it. According to the "water man" I would also have to spend roughly $800 to get the well filtration system going again since everything sat unused for a few years.

I have 2 of those "cube" rain catchment systems getting water of the garage's roof and a smaller 50 Gal in the greenhouse that collects water from the greenhouse (it also serves as thermal mass in the the spring/fall). One of the cubes is just beside the garage where part of the garden and the greenhouse is. The other is in the middle of the garden and is fed by a long downspout linked to the garage. I will look for another 1-2 of those cubes I would try to keep in the heated garage as backup for the winter (filled with clean drinking water). The outside ones were drained before winter arrived.

With time, I want to find a suitable transfer pump I could use to get the water out of the cistern if I needed to. A kind member here proposed me an alternative option that would work really well and I can't wait to make the few small modifications that are needed (I just need to wait until the cistern is near empty!)
1 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:08 am

Should have all 3. Well. Cistern. Rain collection.
1 x

Return to “Alberta”