• Advertisement

Water on Rural Property - Well or Cistern?

Bstew33

Re: Water on Rural Property - Well or Cistern?

Postby Bstew33 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 pm

I know in one subdivision by Beaumont they only allow cisterns because of the water level there. They don't want a lot of wells draining the water table. Or something to that effect. I personally have an artisan well and love it.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks for the info Zana.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 am

I just bought a load, April rains have not come and I was running low. Tanks didn't get filled full with rain water before winter as we only had about 9 inches of rain fall last year. I could have tried to get by but I like long hot showers.
That says 225 dollars. The receipt says "one load of water" they carry roughly 3000 gallons. That price is typical, you can order less but its cheaper to order a full tanker. I only have to do this once every 3 or 4 years or so, so its not a big deal.
Where ever you move to call the nearest town, or county office and ask for the location for the fill stations near you, then you can haul for yourself (much cheaper). Likely 3.75 to 4.25 dollars a cubic meter (225 gallons) if you haul.
It used to be that the fill stations took change but so many have been hit by meth heads that most places have switched over to using cards that you swipe. You may need to set up a account at the town or county office to prepay for a card.

DSC01579.JPG
DSC01579.JPG (55.39 KiB) Viewed 378 times

You, a wife, couple kids.....a WAG would be 2500 3000 gallons a month, that's a lot to haul 200 ....400 gallons at a time (small trailer and tank) Rain water could cut that down by quite a bit.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 am

Sorry-should have mentioned that others in my area have much shallower wells. We were told that the water down deeper would be nicer to drink. Not sure if that's the case,but the water table is high. I'm in the county of Lac Ste.Anne. We are north and west of Parkland and have fewer rules in some areas than Parkland. You can apparently look up all the well info on a well registry site.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:02 pm

peppercorn wrote:I just bought a load, April rains have not come and I was running low. Tanks didn't get filled full with rain water before winter as we only had about 9 inches of rain fall last year. I could have tried to get by but I like long hot showers.
That says 225 dollars. The receipt says "one load of water" they carry roughly 3000 gallons. That price is typical, you can order less but its cheaper to order a full tanker. I only have to do this once every 3 or 4 years or so, so its not a big deal.
Where ever you move to call the nearest town, or county office and ask for the location for the fill stations near you, then you can haul for yourself (much cheaper). Likely 3.75 to 4.25 dollars a cubic meter (225 gallons) if you haul.
It used to be that the fill stations took change but so many have been hit by meth heads that most places have switched over to using cards that you swipe. You may need to set up a account at the town or county office to prepay for a card.

DSC01579.JPG

You, a wife, couple kids.....a WAG would be 2500 3000 gallons a month, that's a lot to haul 200 ....400 gallons at a time (small trailer and tank) Rain water could cut that down by quite a bit.

Yikes, that could mean upward of $2000/yr in water alone... Ideally yes, there'd also be an independent rain water system for toilets and laundry (and showers?) so as to spread the water usage further.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri May 20, 2016 11:55 pm

So, in case anybody wonders....

Put in an offer on a house that has BOTH a well AND a cistern! As expected, the quality of the well water is mediocre, but we should have a full report early next week. At least, the well can provide "utility-grade" water... And nothing that a pre-filter and Berkey can't clean.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for the update
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon May 23, 2016 12:15 am

farmgal wrote:Thanks for the update

Oh and farmgal, you'll be so proud as this property is so prepper-friendly!! On top of the 2 water sources, it has an oversize septic system, a large insulated chicken coop with 3 different runs (to fertilize the garden area), an enormous organic garden, an orchard (apples, plums, cherries, raspberries, saskatoons and goji...) a bunker, oh wait, no bunker!?!? Oh well, maybe it's not needed after all.

Joking aside, I may have to pick your brain from time to time, this is more garden than I'm used to!!
Last edited by helicopilot on Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue May 24, 2016 10:58 am

lol anytime, welcome to do so here but shoot me a pm if you want to get info on where I talk the most plant -garden -stuff and that's just awesome!
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon May 30, 2016 5:15 pm

Well...hope the place goes thru for you, exciting stuff! Sounds like a nice piece of property!
Having it set up that much is a wonderful thing, a lot of work to start land that way.
Good luck with it
0 x

Return to “Alberta”