• Advertisement

Q for those who camp with a RV or 5th wheel

peppercorn

Q for those who camp with a RV or 5th wheel

Postby peppercorn » Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 am

I was looking around on line and was blown away by the price of RV camping sites now days, I was seeing pricing for these little lots/ stalls that you pull your rv into, often a stones throw from another rv with maybe a picnic table between you. Pricing was all over the place from 24 dollars a day to 65 a day. The places looked like hell to me, I couldn't imagine spending my money or time to go there on a weekend....but people do, and they seem to book up in advance....
And they offer monthly rates often totaling 600-900 a month if you stay on a month by month basis...and people do pay this..

So as someone who always looks for ways to make a little money preferably without labour required, that I found is the best way, I got thinking I have multiple good spots that blow away those camp sites for privacy (complete), and nature, plus lots of room, not a little stall.
I was thinking maybe next year advertising on some alberta camping sites to see is there is anyone interested in a having a private camping spot (separate private entrance) that they can set up and use for say 6 months, come out on the weekends, enjoy nature, garden, relax, they can head back to the city knowing there RV is secure and waiting for them the next weekend. Does anyone think there would be a demand for this? I was thinking of charging a very reasonable amount of say 240 a month through the 6 camping months, and if they wanted to leave the rv there over the winter, then 85 dollars a month storage for the other 6 months. Thoughts? a good idea or bad? a reasonable amount charged or to much/little?
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Adagio
Canada

Re: Q for those who camp with a RV or 5th wheel

Postby Adagio » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 am

Im sure you there would be a demand for a more secluded camp site. The only problem I could see is that folks expect water, electric and septic hook ups for RVs.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Thu May 26, 2016 2:41 am

Sorry. One more problem might be with your insurance rates. They could increase a fair bit.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu May 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Although like Adagio said, a lot of people want the full hookup, especially if they will be parked for a long time. A lot of those campsites that are listed with those prices have the hookups. Are you fairly close to where a dump station is with a water source? That would make it more appealing with no hookups. You might even have to have an outhouse or two.

Our favorite campground is in a Provincial Park with no hookups, there is a water source and is $21.00/night. There is outhouses.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Thu May 26, 2016 6:34 pm

We bought our camper used last year for a great deal. In addition to it being a mobile backup home, we do enjoy weekend camping in it.
As others have mentioned, we do expect full hookups, being 30 amp electric, water, and sewer.
I happen to agree about the spacing though...some campsites can be quite cramped.
We also look for other things to do though, like fishing. Even if we don't catch anything, I like teaching my kids how to bait a hook and cast...just a handy skill to have.
Also, we never go for less than 3 nights...it just isn't worth moving that thing and setting it up for anything shorter than that.
We were at one place last year where the "seasonal" trailer across the road was really intrusive...setting up their lawn chairs pointed directly at us and watching us the whole afternoon...quite disconcerting.
Yes, privacy IS an issue when you require a 3 service site, but sometimes if you can get away without a sewer hookup (dumping station on the campground) it can be a little better.
I guess given the price of land these people pay, they need to pack people in quite close to get their money back.
Now, if I could find a place that had water (even not potable) and at least a sewer for grey water, I could deal with it...especially if it was private. One advantage to a private site like that is the possibility of running a generator to at least charge up the battery, something you just can't do at the sardine sites!
I think what would interest me more would be a private site like that for hunting and fishing trips. You can charge a lot more for that than just a camping spot.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri May 27, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks, you all gave some things to think about....I would set up a few panels for power, 500-1000 watts or so. Water I could provide by having a tank at the site that I fill weekly or as needed, and I have pumps that run right off the panels, So pressurised water. A out house is no problem,can build that in a weekend. Grey water can be dumped on site, and I think about 18km away there is a place for dumping sewage.
I think it could be made to work for the right person. I don't have a lake or river or mountain view as a attraction, but complete privacy, security, a duck pond, mature trees,lots of wildlife....I think finding the right person would be key...I will have to roll this around in my noggin for a while
0 x

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Sun May 29, 2016 9:29 am

I'm not sure where you are located, but in my county there are all sorts of permits required I believe. I'm glad of it as one family who are right on the lake did such a thing but it looks like they pumped of their sewage tank into the lake. The people monitoring such things are getting sticky about where outhouses can be located. The ones in Edmonton's river valley are composting ones with hoppers to despense shavings.
I'm afraid the insurance stuff might be sticky, but nessesary. Remember that local teens will find them handy in the winter to "party in".
I think given your expenses you could go higher.
There are many places that are selling sites. I've seen everything from $44,000 for one that has natural sites on a lake (swamp) to ones where you buy a lot on a man-made canal off the lake where your house has to look like everyone else's.
I suggest you look at other places (on kijiji) to get a range of prices and the amenities they are offering.
Considering the dry forests I would also suggest that you make the fire pit areas yourself and use a metal ring with lots of gravel around. And have them agree to follow fire bans-some folks don't believe that the rules apply to them-sigh.
0 x

Bstew33

Postby Bstew33 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:35 am

Good idea. But for your power 500-1000 watts won't do much with a few campers hooked up to it. You would need a large battery bank and even then I think would have a hard time keeping up with demand. First thing would be check with your local county or administration about it. See what it would cost for permits for yourself and see if it would be worth it. Your water idea would work good. Depending on size of tank wouldn't take a lot of keep water for them. If you do it and it turns out to do well might be worth putting in a septic tank there and run an outlet to each site wouldn't take much piping to do that and then they could dump and you just get it pumped out when it's full.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 am

zana, your points are valid..out house not a problem. insurance...I am self insured so no insurance problems. regarding local teens as you say...not a problem, in 23-25 years only one person has ever even been seen south of my place, and seen just once. They will absolutely be made to follow fire bans or burning restrictions, I run a tight ship.

bstew33..we will have to agree to disagree as 500 watts per site in panels is a good amount for a rv...at 1000 watts in panels I can run my whole house just fine, that's fridge,freezer, all the lights I want, ceiling fan, laptop,sometimes 2, running 24/7, regular dishwasher,pressure pump for water, clothes washer (though I have a preferred low energy washer model), alarm clocks, microwave..just pretty much all I want, and I have done so...I have more power now only because the price of panels dropped so much, so I would have been crazy not to add more. though there are others around me still running on smaller 900 1000 watts in panels and going without nothing (though charging a lot more in Nov dec, and january.
I would not supply batteries, they can bring all they want and use them, plus they are free to use their generator as needed..

0 x

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:17 am

We pay those premium prices to camp because we can't afford the price of land in Alberta lol... at least not any close enough to the city where we both work.

It would be nice to find a secluded spot of which you speak, especially if there is crown land for hunting nearby.

Power isn't a must as most people have either a generator and/or solar but you can only carry so much fresh water in with you and store so much black... so, that is the main challenge to solve.
It sounds like your halfway to a solution though.

cheers
0 x

Return to “Alberta”