• Advertisement

Longevity of a group

Dakota
Canada

Longevity of a group

Postby Dakota » Mon May 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey all, still here, working the farm, experimenting with various different group projects (smoke house, rebuilding a cabin, extending the garden size to accommodate more group members) and meeting more people as we go along that are a great fit or addition with the group. I'm always keeping an eye open for new folk to add: skill, knowledge, personality to the group. It's not an easy task finding 'good fit' folk as there are many personality types. And really, 'good fit' in times of plenty are a completely different animal than...in times of crisis. We've been lucky thus far, as the group has a wonderful mix of wonderful people. Some, that started as strangers that are now, years later, close friends.

We look at prepping as a type of insurance...if IT happens, we want to already have a bug out place/places, skills, food, and a group to do IT with in place. You can't have everything, but cover what you can...and enjoy doing it.

Our issue recently, we are seeing a loss in interest (longevity) after about a year or two. One or two members that joined the group don't see anything happening "immediately" in the world. They feel homesteading (I really hate the term prepping) may be a waste of their time/money. When they say time...it's because we have monthly group meetings and various separate projects on going at any given time. So for example, not everyone is interested in building a smoke house so maybe three group members will work on the construction of the smoke house while others garden, learn animal husbandry, hunting, defense, or medicinal medicine. But everyone shares the burden of the costs of building-which are typically small.
It's interesting that it's mostly people we were friends with prior to prepping and NOT the people we have meet on this site. The folk that came from meeting on this site are still very interested (in fact-THEY may feel it's going too slow at times...LOL) I find that extremely interesting! Well..you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

Any suggestions or experiences you've had? ? It's not an easy black and white issue either as...you invite people to your group, home and important information the group share (defense/food amounts/location) to have them leave the group. That leaves the remaining group vulnerable! We've discussed this with the folk who will likely will drop away from the group? We know if things change in the world, naturally they would come running back to their 'friends'! BUT we've expressed CLEARLY that this doesn't work for the group remaining!

Let me know what you guys think!
0 x

canadaboy

Re: Longevity of a group

Postby canadaboy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:58 pm

This is a consent challenge. Especially for groups with no other connection except prepping. This is why some people take operational security to extremes.

I don't know of a solution.

All I can say is keep trying to make connections! so will work out and others wont.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks for input! Ya, were of the same thinking.
0 x

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:31 am

We do quarterly meetings to have conversation and break bread. No other responsibilities assigned at that time, just a social outing. Could be a range day or bowling. Something that reminds us all that we need to enjoy each others company and that we can develop friendships which will last through stressful situations.

Awesome productivity that you are describing!

cheers!
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks dangphool! It's a work in progress! We do enjoy the fun outings with group members-less serious and more bond building! That's extremely important -I think!! We started with quarterly meetings and the group decided to do monthly to give more option of attending as many meetings as one could -around various schedules (shift work is a bitch)!
Summer gets watered down with family holidays, weddings and such- so if we get a solid show up its usually a nice meeting with a BBQ and a star gazing Bon fire usually ends the night.
0 x

ScottyRE
Canada

Postby ScottyRE » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:01 am

Dakota... if your land is in the near vicinity of south Calgary... I would like to speak with you further and see if myself and my daughter could fit into your group. I say near vicinity because if indeed something goes south and we need to bug out to "Home base" which would be your location... time and distance is a factor in survival of course. PM me and we can speak.

As for what Dangphool mentioned... quarterly get togethers... we are long over due here in Calgary. I will make a post about a meetup I figure. Watch for that on the board.
0 x
No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each day thankful because someone somewhere else right now is fighting for theirs

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Hey ScottyRE I've sent you a PM.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:33 am

Realy depending on person and way you run it. Can't be your way or highway. Like a few groups i seen. Has to be more a mag set up.
0 x

Return to “Alberta”