• Advertisement

Solar rebates?!

peppercorn

Re: Solar rebates?!

Postby peppercorn » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 am

Yes, thought about staying hooked up, in fact before I told them where to go I had disconnected the house myself and just left the garage hooked up as I had 240 volt loads (equipment) there. I had changed everything inside the house so I didn't need 240 volts in the house, that lets me use a cheaper inverter, anyway found that I really didn't need the 240volts even in the garage, my 240 volt loads were intemitant, when I wanted to use the odd thing that took 240 I could just fire up a genny for that. So that was one more reason to say good bye to them.
The other reason I told them to pull it was as I became more confident and unhooked the garage, they of course kept sending me bills for being hooked up.
I called them up and told them I had unhooked them at the yard pole and wouldn't be using any power anymore, but I would be willing to pay 20.00 a month just to leave myself able to switch back in the future, after, multiple calls, with a superviser, and others on the line we couldn't come to a agreement, they wanted more and it wasn't worth more to me, so I had to just say terminate the service. So that was done.
I didn't consider grid backfeed at the time. I wouldn't now just because I have come to enjoy the independence. They would just insult me with what they would pay me anyway. Maybe if costs were so high like 10 15 years ago then any amount paid would help the system pay for itself but now...no.
Your going to love the container, that's the way I suggest people do it, you can have your whole system inside and just transmit your 120 (or 240 ) to the house, mines all in the house but I think I will change it in the future. You will learn so much more being unhooked!! View it like the first time you rode without training wheels!

PS: now days 240 volt split phase inverters are becoming more reasonable in price so there may not be the cost pressure to try to stay at 120 volts as I did, but I have found other reasons that still make this a attractive option., for me anyway.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 pm

As I move forward, I am definitely not interested in grid-tie. The price of photovoltaic panels & wind turbines are really quite sweet these days, it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to overproduce on sunny and/or windy days. My notion is to employ a dump into something that can consume the excess, but I can't decide what to dump it into (or, what series of things to dump into).

My first thought is to take the excess and sink it into water purification - have a large vessel of potable water with ultraviolet filters, just circulate water and bombard it with UV, whenever the battery bank is charged. I also want to move irrigation water to a high point, a good DC pump could work well there. A large, low-temperature freezer could probably absorb as much energy as I can throw at it. Compressing air in a large vessel is an option - the Amish use this kinda setup for their air-driven tools, IIRC. Heaters in the winter, coolers in the summer. Really, there are any number of ways to create an energy sink for your excess, allows you to avoid having to deal with another economic force that is set on trying to extract a monthly payment from you.

0 x

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 am

My husband and I have been attending some sessions put on by the Solar Energy Society of Ab. Basically there will be incentives to put solar installers to work. Incentives for on grid seem unattractive when you consider they want you to use their installers, if there is a power out you will also be out and you can only produce as much power as you use in a year. So you sell back when you produce extra and the times of year you need more than what you generate you buy back. You don't make any extra that would pay for the system any easier. So at my age it'd be nuts. And off grid gets no incentives as the government is only about urban districts using it (not areas with long transmission lines)They want to appear to be for green energy but really don't care except where it makes them look good.
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Zana wrote:They want to appear to be for green energy but really don't care except where it makes them look good.

This has bothered me for many of years, in Alberta. There is no incentive for the little guy to produce electricity and feed back to the grid. Whether we choose photovoltaic panels, wind turbines, microCHP, or just a big diesel generator playing the lucrative weeks of the year, the playing field utterly dissuades anyone without a couple million bucks to invest.

Were I to set up panels/microCHP in Alberta, I would find a way to first render my consumption to zero, then use the remainder to sink into something else. Heat the driveway in winter, air conditioning in summer, water heater - anything that puts my energy in my own pocket.

0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am

Here is a little story I came across. She is from Colorado living in a tiny house , using a off grid power system she put together her self.

http://fynyth.blogspot.ca/2016/12/fy-ny ... ystem.html
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 am

Solar panel installation rebates are about halfway down the page, on the right:
https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/

I suspect the intention here isn't to simply cut the cost of solar panels for conusmers, but to get solar panel hooked up to the grid.
0 x

Return to “Alberta”