• Advertisement

stochastic list of "grab and go" items

rorschach
Canada

stochastic list of "grab and go" items

Postby rorschach » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 am

Hello All,

I've been inactive for awhile. I check in from time to time, but the board seems a bit "quiet" at times. We're still looking to meet potential group augmentees in the Edmonton area, especially those who have advanced agricultural skills (even solid gardening skills are a plus).

Anyway, although the "bug in" scenario is much preferred, I was thinking about bugging out and what stuff should be grabbed from home. Then I realized that it would depend on the amount of time available. I also realized that I need to be on the same page as my wife in case she is the only one home when the balloon goes up and we have to meet at a third location or something. Therefore, I have put together the following tentative list. Your comments and input would be much appreciated...

1 minute:

•shoes
•jacket
•phone
•wallet
•keys
•purse / murse (includes EDC)

This would be for something like a fire. Time would be the main limiter. In this scenario, presumably civil infrastructure would still exist, meaning that insurance would be in effect and contents could be (at least partially) replaced.

10 minutes:

•Above, PLUS
•laptop computers (important data re: financial / accounting, etc)
•documents / ID from safe
•cash stores
•clothing for 72 hours
•"grab and go" food (i.e. MREs or Mainstay type rations)
•case of water
•basic security loadout x 2 adults

This would be for something like: the bad guys are coming for you, or some relatively fast moving event is approaching (e.g. a wall of water, toxic chemical release). Time would be the main limiter.

1 hour:

•Above, PLUS
•pictures / items of sentimental value
•delegate kids to gather as much food as possible
•basic camping gear
•tools
•more security-related items

This would be for a more slow-moving but still predictable event (perhaps something happening in Edmonton that might be spreading westward). Time and/or vehicle space would be the main limiters. Efforts would be made to place 1/3 of each category of items in my smaller vehicle and 2/3 in my cargo hauler.

1 day:

•Above, PLUS
•ALL food and water
•Emergency heating supplies
•All possible camping gear
•More tools
•All possible security related gear
•Secondary transport options (e.g. bikes and hitch rack, utility wagon, utility sled)

This could be for a bug-in scenario that is slowly going south, but not quite desperate yet ... conversion to a bug-out to BOL or some other location if available. Multiple trips by vehicle may be possible. My utility trailer may be an option if roads are good and banditry is not anticipated.

That's all I can think of as a first approach.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

:D
4 x
- Rorschach -

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: stochastic list of "grab and go" items

Postby helicopilot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:29 am

Very interesting post Rorschach. Well planned list IMHO since you rationalized why you take your time based on the time available, itself rationalized by possible events.

As for the laptop ("important data re: financial / accounting, etc"), do you regularly back up your important data to a cloud or onto a hard drive/CD/DVD that you leave at a different location? I try to take pictures of my property regularly for insurance purposes, and store a DVD of those pictures at work. So if the house burns down, that leaves me something for the insurance, in case of contest.

When I used to leave in a tornado/hurricane prone region, I used to have a duffle bag loaded with a couple changes of clothes for each family members. Frankly, those were old clothes that though still fitted, were otherwise headed for the donation bin. So there was no cost associated with that, but that made for a convenient grab-and-go bag. That was kept beside our 72 hr box (a plastic tote). For tornado warnings, we would put on footwear, grab our wallets/purse/keys/phones, the duffle and the box and sat in the laundry room until the warning was over.

Thanks for the post again.
0 x

rorschach
Canada

Re: stochastic list of "grab and go" items

Postby rorschach » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:23 am

Helicopilot,

Thanks for your reply.

I am working on the "data packet" option. Plan is to have everything on encrypted USB sticks. Cloud would be more convenient, but the whole Snowden thing has me thinking twice about that approach.

I am reconfiguring my basement to have a basic tornado shelter, but need my wife to get rid of some of our clutter so I have more space to move things around... ;)
0 x
- Rorschach -

Return to “Alberta”