• Advertisement

Re-establishing bug out zones

Beaverbuzz
Canada

Bug-out zones to share

Postby Beaverbuzz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 am

Hey it's! New here. I'm definitely more of a survivalist than a prepper, and I've been making some small camps with basic tools and supplies like axes, wood, and fire starters aroun Bragg Creek/ K-Country. I'm looking and stepping up and building some actual structures or more equipped encampments.

I think it would be interesting to get others to lend a hand an expand the location number and the overall amenities at each location. They aren't much, but it's good to have so go-to spots where you know your way around, and just what has to be done if push comes to shove. I anyone is interested and would like to meet-up, just let me know. My rules are simple; clean up all garbage and waste, and leave more wood than you found and all the tools in good condition.
0 x

Dangphool
Canada

Re: Re-establishing bug out zones

Postby Dangphool » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 am

Good discussion all around.
Trust definitely takes a long time.
Not only "security" but also someone to hoe fields and pull weeds ;)
0 x

mloberg
Canada

Postby mloberg » Wed May 10, 2017 1:41 pm

On the exits from Calgary, one thing I did that I thought was useful was to review all the possible "overland" ways to get from my neighbourhood to a point outside the city where I could access the usual grid of roads between farmland sections to GOOD. After plotting a few courses I walked, jogged and biked them to check for obstacles and noted the tools needed to overcome the obstacles for a successful exit. I am fortunate that I have 2 ways out from my neighbourhood that do not require using roads much at all - no major roads and only a few minor roads that are rather unlikely to be gridlocked if SHTF.
I recommend people do that kind of planning and checking, and go around periodically to see if anything has changed (one of my exits puts me overland through a guy's yard into a golf course, so I need to know if he builds a fence or anything). It's also a good way to ensure you stay familiar with your surroundings, and get some fresh air at the same time.
0 x
Has it started yet???
-------------
Lawyer, General Counsel to the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, entrepreneur, family man... spending time on prepping, amateur radio, off-roading, shooting sports and chasing other interests.

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Sat May 13, 2017 4:05 am

Good to see you here mloberg.
I always enjoy your posts on ccfr but didn't realize that you were local.

welcome!
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:06 am

I agree whole heartedly with helicopilot. History has shown the whole concept of mercenaries does not end well. Highest paying wins. i still think finding a group with a place already set up in the country is the way to do it. If I was the city folk, I would want a place I could bug out to that had things going already. That I had already been a part of for a while sharing with the group, working on skills, building gardens together. An extended family that planned to get together if shit goes sideways?
I would want to know them very well-not just have numbers for numbers sake. In our group the individuals are expected to learn to do everything. We may have a strong training team for handling weapons but everyone is expected to be able to shoot well (thru training). Those same weapons trainers are expected to be working the garden or feeding livestock.

Yes, there are people that excel at this but not that-those we chose for our trainers of that specific skill. Maybe I'm not understanding the zone benefit for the land owner?! I would not just open my place for people to crash when shit gets real cause they promise to be my hired gun. My expectations of the people that will use my home as theirs is that they work along side me prior. The group better mesh Phychological as well - and you won't know that unless your building friendships first and choosing folk that fit that particular group on sooooo many levels.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 am

Agree with dakota you need to know who the person is. Not just invite them in with out knowing some of there background. Hired guns can turn on you any time and take what you work so hard at. Also agree with mioberg knowledge of your surroundings for getting out of dodge. But key point is to have a spot set up and running. If your to bug out to a spot and it's not set up. Could end up killing you depending on supplies and time of yr. Now by supplies i mean already there. Not what you bring in on your back. Also another point to make. Plan on worst case to get to bug out spot. Walking off road and threw bushes and possibly swamp areas. Now take your bug out bag and see how far you can travel. I personal lmfao at most. Do to fact that they don't understand that 50 lbs or more makes a big difference in rough terrain and threw snow. Plus possible lack of sleep if its a few days till a week to walk there. Any way thats my 2 bits of advice
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm

With military and police (tactical team/sniper) experience, I believe it reasonable for me to feel comfortable with tactical security regarding what may be required in a SHTF scenario. I don't however have much confidence in the tactical competence of many ex-military, or so-called mercenary types. So I would have to question the deliverable qualifications of anyone who purported to be hireable for such a purpose.

Having acted as a civilian and military survival instructor, I have some understanding of what is required to live in the bush with 20 feet of snare wire and a knife, but I don't have a clue of how I would be sustainable if the grocery stores closed, there wasn't any power and the area was flooded (for example). It was for this reason that I joined this group. I realise that I have a lot to learn.

Unfortunately, it's likely that people with my background will not have taken the necessary steps to prepare themselves in case of a disaster. The chance exists that they will feel that they don't have any choice but to take what they need. With proper planning, it will be almost impossible to prevent them from doing so.
0 x

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 am

If children are starving, I imagine many parents (including those trained as you suggest) would be capable of many acts that would surprise them in this current time of plenty.
This is why most people involved in emergency preparedness also include bullets with their beans and bandages.

And why many of us preach to friends and family about the necessity to be prepared. One less group of looters we have to worry about ;)
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 am

Love looters. Best target practice there is lol. Lots of targets all moving at different distances and speed .. bring it on. Will try for 100 out of 100.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 am

term0shad wrote:Love looters. Best target practice there is lol. Lots of targets all moving at different distances and speed .. bring it on. Will try for 100 out of 100.

Quite a lot of bravado. I don't mean to shake your confidence, but I've dealt with a number of armed perps who thought the same way. If the operation is done correctly, they find themselves in custody before they get a chance to squeeze off many rounds. In a SHTF situation that came to an armed confrontation, you could eliminate the majority from a distance without too much risk too yourself. Even a group of people wouldn't be a match for one well-trained (and patient) Sniper, let alone a team of disciplined aggressors.
0 x

Return to “Alberta”