• Advertisement

Advice on location

ArcticFamily
Canada

Advice on location

Postby ArcticFamily » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:46 am

Hello,
I'm new to this group and looking for some advice on potential locations to settle in Alberta. Our number one priority is rural and away from populated areas, but near a village or small town. We prefer the least amount of outside interference in our lives, be it government or anything else. We will purchase land, be 100% self sufficient in regards to power/water/waste and will homestead/prep. Does anyone live in the "Special Areas"? These areas are appealing to us. I look forward to any feedback.
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Re: Advice on location

Postby term0shad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:56 am

Location not a issue in alberta. Question is how many acres. Type of land. Aka all trees or open. House on it or not and so on.
0 x

Blacksheep
Canada

Postby Blacksheep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 am

Special areas ?
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:31 am

Special Areas are in the eastern part of the province.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 am

I agree with thermo, location doesn't really matter, county wise. I am of course saying that from a older more experienced perspective than I once had, what I am saying is there are ways around everything legislated, Even ways around insurance requirements for mortgage purposes to do the things you want....true funny story.. the inspector for my county has been out to my place, his only concern was that I help offer advice to his kids in how I am doing things. He bought them a acreage and he wants them set up like I am!

another true story, A friend of mine, 30 minutes from Edmonton built a "Horse barn" on his property...I don't know the square footage ( 3000 maybe 4000) but you could put my house and garage inside it, its two stories, cement heated floor, 4 maybe 5, 14-16 wide roll up doors, insulated to r40. he built it for his antique car collection, never been a horse inside it.Didnt need engineered blue prints cause it was considered a "agricultural" building. Only thing the inspector said was...that's the nicest horse barn I ever seen, and as agricultural it didn't raise his taxes.

The only thing I am not a fan of is, and these things are now popping up everywhere, is these 1 to 2.5 acre rural subdivisions, where a developer bulldozes a hundred acres flat and divides it up, and registers restrictive covenants against the title of each property, limiting what can be built, and how constructed, and maintained. If you drive into the country around Edmonton or Calgary you will see these places, acres of well manicured lawn mono culture, with trophy houses, where you can see everything, and if you dare park a older car on the property a neighbor will complain. I would avoid these places.

very good affordable deals right now in rural Alberta. lots of rural properties 3 to 5 acres with older homes.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:00 am

Lol therm0 .. peppercorn made me chuckle
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:46 am

term0shad wrote:Lol therm0 .. peppercorn made me chuckle

must have been my dyslexia, oldtimers, or short attention span kicking in.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

ArcticFamily
Canada

Postby ArcticFamily » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Peppercorn, what you speak of is what we are afraid to end up near, these rural subdivisions. Our land needs to be treed, with a distance from the road, and neighbours. We are social and helpful neighbours, but need a degree of seclusion. A house isn't necessary, we are handy and can erect our own small house and then erect out buildings when expansion is necessary. 3-5 acres would be perfect for us. We are want an area where we could secure our property and hunkering down is a viable option through most situations. We are a family of 4 and will be expanding. Also, we are solvent, so being close proximity to a city for job prospects won't matter. I seem to be rambling, but we want to find our community, you know? We want to live around other people who share our mind, our view of self reliance. I wish there was a village of people like us to live separately from but next to.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:27 am

There certainly are lots of places. What will matter is how far you want to be from services. Lots of smaller towns have their own healthcare centers and sufficient resources that trips to the big cities are essentially not required.

You can also live within 30 mins of a major center and still be in a very quiet and secluded acreage.

Remember that being isolated has lots of advantages, but there are also potential issues, especially with access to healthcare. For a while, we had to drive 2+ hours monthly when our child needed to go see a pediatrician for a fairly minor ailment that required follow up.
0 x

ArcticFamily
Canada

Postby ArcticFamily » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 pm

A small village with basic health services would be fine for us. Right now we live in an isolated community that has a dentist, a midwife, nurses and a doctor at the hospital. Anything requiring specialization requires a 2 1\2 hour flight. I hear you that trips to the city at 2 hours each way can be tedious! It seems like every price of property I'm looking at is cleared and neighbours you can see. And our price range is roughly 50 grand for land. I'm feeling highly discouraged. Maybe I cant find what I want in my price range in Alberta :(
0 x

Return to “Alberta”