• Advertisement

my thoughts on many different things

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: my thoughts on many different things

Postby HopeImReady » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:37 am

[quote="Odin Gray"][Prepping, like Fight Club, has one rule: never talk about it with people until a VERY high level of trust is established./quote]

After much internal indecision in the past couple years, I've decided to start talking more about preparedness, to varying degrees, with friends who are at various levels of closeness/trust. I think of it like concentric rings...Of those in the "outer" ring, some know I shoot & own guns, some know I do "homestead-y" things like soap making, seed-saving, lots of cooking and food drying & preservation, and ham radio. My work colleagues know I do first aid (for work liability reasons, of course haha) and some know I shoot (but I many are military or ex-mil so not remarkable). My neighbors know I do lots of my own home repair, and that I know about extreme weather & natural disasters because I gave a community workshop a while back. Most of the people in these groups don't know each other. Maybe some think I am just uptight, waiting for the next big quake :lol: (not that I give a rat's behind). One acquaintance commented that I am very "self-reliant" :) I don't think I really am, but maybe compared to others she knows. Also, now that some of my friends are moving from urban areas out to rural acreages, I think they acknowledge that city services aren't always readily available or take much longer, so they need to make provisions for taking care of things themselves. Or female friends split from their partner and suddenly have to learn the things "he" used to do (the stuff I've been doing all along).

Only some of my family (none of whom live nearby) and my closest friends know the whole picture. They are on the same page as me, but I didn't "come out" as a prepper all at once - I broached certain topics gradually so it seemed like a natural progression. I am not totally hardcore, at this point. Part of my desire to talk about it because I don't want to hide a part of myself, but also I want to gauge their reception. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised at the positive reception, either that or it's treated as "normal" - guess that means I don't have spoiled & entitled friends :P
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

wkthiker
Canada

Postby wkthiker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 am

Farmgal, I would like to attend one of your meetings. How often do you set them up? I think a 6-10 person group would be a good size so everyone gets a chance to talk. Do you just meet for coffees, or has anyone suggested anything different?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Wkhiker

We have typically set up a spring coffee-lunch get together, its in keeping with the style you typically see on the board, its in a fairly central gathering spot in Ottawa, its very much a hi, my name is.. I tend to lean this way or that in my personal prepping style.

Then I do a bigger summer meet, it has changed over the years and continues to do so, where we used to do a more meet and greet style, we have moved it more and more to a full day of seminars.. The outline now typically is 9am till 4pm. We do a half hour to a hour of Meet-coffee, then we do two one hour or sometimes we do two half hour talks on different subjects, then we break for lunch for a hour.. then start back up for another two sessions and then we do draws and so forth and a bit of after meet parking lot visiting and so forth..

That has been done in a local forest at big community area with tables and cover etc.. but this coming year, (if all goes as planned) we are going to be moving the location and into a hall with power and such.. It is about 45 min outside of Ottawa, and we have had folks car pool before but most of the time you do need a vehicle to reach it.

If folks wanted to do a late fall meeting, it would be fine but to date, I am far to busy on the farm to do a fall-early winter meet.. Watch for a topic called Ottawa Meet and gatherings and tag yourself in them as they go up for 2017 and it will keep you up to date on everything that is planned and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or send me a pm :) Have a great day
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I guess what really bugs me is the fact that there are many people that use this site, and I would venture a guess that probably at 50% "lurk".. Now, folks are free to do as they please, we don't live in north Korea...but I'm gonna be blunt and throw this out there for everyone. Some of you will understand, some of you are gonna call me an insensitive assh*le...I'm fine with that.

Folks, there are those of us in society that "get it", those of us that can look around without the rose colored glasses and see the horrible sh*tty mess our society is in and realize that things most likely won't get better. Those same people ( the realist type) in my opinion, take a proactive approach to being prepared, willing to do what is needed to be as ready as one can be.
I won't lie, I am a very blunt person, to be frank..I just don't give a sh*t about emotions or feelings...I don't believe they have a place in prepping. Full stop. The lurking, hide in the corner type of folk make me shake my head. Here's why, there are a ton of resources just on this website alone. Each topic, comment etc was typed by someone who obviously has some insight into said topic. Now, why in the hell are some people content with just reading words on a screen? It boggles my mind folks!!

When I first found this website, I was amazed at how much info was on here! What got my attention even more was the fact that there were potentially all these people( some close to home, some not) to meet to talk with and get even more knowledge from....Well I'll be sum b*tch, I sure as hell didn't waste much time meeting folks, why? knowledge! This website has great info, we know that, but some of the best info I have learned has come from the people I went out and meet from this site, some of whom are now good friends and allies!

At some point folks, something sh*tty just may happen in society that forces us to rely on complete strangers. That's not a pleasant thought, but I hate to be blunt( actually no I don't) but the lurking crowd are gonna be sh*t outta luck and in big trouble when they need an ally but refused to do so because they were nervous about meeting people. Opsec is one thing...don't make it the only thing!!!
1 x

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:25 pm

You mean you can actually get someone to meet for a cup of coffee?
0 x
http://preppersaurus.blogspot.ca/

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:30 am

Well I am always up for a meet and greet.

Murphy, if you want more interaction, narrow it down from "somewhere, BC".

E.g. , Island, lower mainland, okanagan, etc.

I'm here, near nanaimo; if anyone wants to chat.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:27 am

Just to defend "the lurking crowd"... to say that's hiding in the corner is a bit judgy. I agree one cannot be an island, but be aware that someone may be quiet on the forums; that does not necessarily mean they are in face-to-face life. I am a borderline introvert-extrovert (dep on situation and the crowd I'm in). Generally, I don't comment unless I feel like I have something to add to the conversation. I enjoy learning from others, I am always willing to give my opinion, and I've come to most of the in-person local get-togethers (luckily I live close enough; not everyone does). I love the new "heart" feature here, as one way to interact, but as far as advice, I don't consider myself an expert compared to many here. And I'm just fine with that...bloom where you're planted.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:03 am

No need to defend the lurking crowd. They'll get out of this site what they put in. I've met a few good people thanks to this site!

Always looking to meet more!
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Turnip Volume
Canada

Postby Turnip Volume » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 am

Great posts! Enjoyed the reading. Hooking up with individuals is a very worthwhile thing IMO. Sometimes it can be difficult to say the least and really for many it could be agenda specific. For example I myself look seek to meet others but Im really only looking for people that are local in nature for many reasons. First off it can be made relatively easy for meet ups, and if bonds can be made it would make for a more consistent opportunity to meet again and share. Share ideas, share tools and or labour. Generally working together I suppose. I don't think meeting others ( which I have ) that are too far away can really become of much other than info sharing and general prepping banter ( which I do enjoy ) but realistically that can be done here or via email or such. Lending my personal time with others that don't really live in my immediate area can be time consuming and more importantly can sacrifice Opsec. For myself Im more than willing to work with others on an equal platform with work or project sharing with the right people. I would be able to open up more garden area if need be or trade items or group purchase too. Trying to find a solid individual to help further BOTH our endeavours would be my ultimate goal personally. If someone lives more than 100km away things get tough and time would get short through simple commuting and so forth. Having similar mindsets would help and I think we all have the ultimate goal of becoming more prepared overall. I think getting a tight group is difficult however I think its more than worthwhile to work at it and make it happen.

Iv got my post up here and hope to meet other awesome people.
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Good post, Turnip.

But like I pointed out earlier..... If you don't put a city/region in your profile, how can you reasonably expect the average lurker within 100 km to contact you, if they don't know how close they are to you?

E.g. Vancouver island, Richmond...

Hardly ruining opsec by giving up Generalities like that on your profile.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Return to “British Columbia”