• Advertisement

my thoughts on many different things

gmurphy

my thoughts on many different things

Postby gmurphy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:24 am

Hi all,
my brain is full of thoughts,ideas, opinions and just about everything in between on the topic of prepping. So here it goes, my plan is to share whats on my mind, i dont really know how to sort all the thoughts out in my head so i figure i'll use this space to do so. Sometimes it may sound completly random, and sometimes it may be off in left field. Some of you mighht like it, some might think im out of my mind, im ok with that.I realize that most will read and not post, thats totally ok, i just want to get some of this stuff out of my head.

I found a website called survivalcache.com, great site full of information. i was reading an article on this site titled "family Survival: lets not forget about the kids" And the article talks about if a families survival plans really include the children in the family. And it got me to thinking about my own plans with my own family. After reading the article there are things im planning on doing a little differently, things i will add, things i will compinsate for that i hadn't really thought about. In a word, perspective.

I just want to say that i believe there is a wealth of knowledge on these posts, in the short time i have been using this site i've gained insight into many topics that i simply hadn't really thought about. I have noticed that many of the topics are viewed alot but in some cases not many replys are made on the topic. If you are reading this now, i want you to know that 2 weeks ago i was just another person reading and not getting involved. But i had questions, i wanted to add a comment, so i stepped out of my comfort zone. And im glad i did. i'm going to go to the meeting in coquitlam this month, why?? i have questions?? i want to meet some of the like minded people that use this site. Anyways, lets keep the networking going, a little knowledge goes along way.

gmurphy

Oh and save your dryer lint......it makes good fire starter!!! ( there i go with a random thought)
0 x

JustABear

Re: my thoughts on many different things

Postby JustABear » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is posts like this that get us all thinking and seeing things from different perspectives. In the end knowledge will be your greatest resource.

Be well and good fortune.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:00 am

a friend of mine recently told me that prepping is a "waste of time, and money" well if this is true then why are so many people doing it? Are we crazy? i seriously doubt it! If there is no real threat from things like floods, wildfires, earthquakes etc, then why do most major cities have emergency prepardness information on thier websites?? why do these government bodies want us to be "prepared"? I thought everything was "just fine" i think that some people don't want to believe that it will "happen to them" or that because it hasn't happened yet,it "never will" If you look around your neibourhood, will those happy smiling people still be smiling when a major crisis happens? i think alot of people are in for a rude awakining.
0 x

wookie
Canada

Postby wookie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:23 am

I believe that 99% of the population would be in the position for a 'rude awakening'! It's weird that when you tell some people that they see what your doing is something negative and put it down. And what we do really makes sense to us. And the fact that most communities have an emergency plan, yet most people just ignore it and think nothing of being prepared. But it is good that the word is getting out there. There is a movement underway. Just hope more people get prepping sooner than later. It would be the best for all of us.

Would like to know what your doing to get you family prepped! I need to do the same.
0 x

a3xdaddy

Postby a3xdaddy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:09 am

Its funny you say that G about the "being crazy". I just started and was worried I was nutty like some of the folks on Doomsday preppers. However yesterday I rationalized and today I started prepping and putting money where my mouth was.

This is how I rationalize:

Every month people pay insurance to protect their house
Every month people pay insurance for when they die!

I am paying insurance so I don't die (prematurely). Thats all it is. We are only crazy if we are wrong! If we are then they were.

Besides we still get to eat the food as we go and replenish. No harm or money wasted.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:34 am

a quick post for today, i sure hope that when and if the time comes, all the time i have spent networking with others preppers pays off!!!!
0 x

chilcotin

Postby chilcotin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 am

Ah, there's the rub. No one is prepared who has not got a network. You have come a long way along the road gmurphy. Your friends whom you are networking with are not going to let you down.
0 x

JustABear

Postby JustABear » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:53 am

I agree completely with chilcotin. This is about building a community and developing a group of people who can and will support one another when the need arises. That said I believe we should be able to extend that hand well before the SHTF... to include our daily lives. The quickest and most effective way to build friendships is to demonstrate the willingness and ability to ask for, accept and give assistance with no expectation of compensation other than knowing that when YOU need a hand.. it will be returned to you.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:39 am

ok here i go again, container homes!!! yep im serious, i have been wandering around the internet and came across this concept. taking 40ft shipping containers and welding them togerther to make a house!!! Maybe some of you have heard about this concept, its new to me but i think it really cool. upon further review i found used shipping containers on craigslist for around $2000 a piece. As i looked a little futher on the net i found different sites that have floor plans and useful tips on building these types of structures. The floorplans for shipping containers is endless, obviously the money in your bank account would be a factor, but hey, a solid steel structure, that will last a hell of a long time. A couple cots and a wood stove, ok ther would be alot more involved then that but i think you can see where im going with this idea.
So there it is, out there for all of you, just another thought rolling around in my head.

www.residentialshippingcontainerprimer.com
0 x

chilcotin

Postby chilcotin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:57 pm

I've seen these also. And they can get pretty elaborate too with designer cabinets etc. But you don't have to start off fancy. just let the whole thing evolve. Over time yard sales, thrift stores etc. will provide you everything you need, window frames, flooring, decking for the outside. One just has to be patient and wait for the stuff to come along. It is amazing what people throw out. Initially it can be moved to a location and set up as a summer retreat, then converted to a permanent residence. The practicalities of this are endless.
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”