• Advertisement

my thoughts on many different things

ICRCC

Re: my thoughts on many different things

Postby ICRCC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:19 am

Good to see you back in this thread. I always enjoy reading your posts.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:29 am

gmurphy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srMe9Jnkf_4

Not a fun topic to have to think about... but should SHTF ever happen, this is going to come up.

SHTF is not a fun topic. The video should be watched by everyone. Interesting approach and thought provoking. So what do we do in Northern Ontario where the bedrock is often barely a foot below?
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 am

ICRCC, thanks for the welcome back, that would be tough with bedrock a foot below your feet. To be honest, if i had to make that choice i would cremate during the night. Use the cover of darkness to hide the smoke plume. Yes there would be a rather large glow that would be visable for a few hundred meters( depending on how thick the bush is in northern ontario) but if digging just wasn't do-able.....you gotta do something right?? cant just make a pile at the end of the driveway and cover it with a tarp, right?? No quick fix for this one thats for sure....
0 x

aaronbouge
Canada

Postby aaronbouge » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

No, definately not a fun topic. But a very real topic. He mentioned some things in this vid that I never thought of. Thanks for posting.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I had already pondered this question. The bush is very thick in my neck of the woods and the population is sparse however black bears are not. Now while that may solve one problem it would create another once the bears got a taste for human flesh. Regardless of my actions that may become a reality anyway. The black bear would then become a dangerous predator to be dealt with.

To prevent disease any bodies must be dealt with and dealt with in a respectful manner. Cremation is the only option in my location.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm

these cost about $5, i own two of them. They can be found at canadian tire, home depot, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfv-nkvjxU

I'd rather have one and never need it, then have none and need one.....
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:21 pm

This is a truly great thread. I don't have anything to contribute at the moment, but wanted to get into it so I can find it easily. Only about halfway through reading them and there are so many useful things discussed! I will say that I feel the same way gmurphy, lots of thoughts rolling around. planning out different things and needing info and feedback. Great thread!
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:33 pm

gmurphy wrote:so here is another thought i have had recently about a possible bug-out route. Now this may or may not work, but what about walking the powerlines?? OK, so now you think im completly crazy, but wait a sec. lets look at this for a minute, those power lines go from vancouver to kamloops if im not mistaken( somebody please correct me if im wrong) and those powerlines are like a highway through the bush. so would it not be possible for a guy or group of people to get to these powerlines and start hiking. the hiking is not going to be fantastic im sure but i would think that it would be fairly clear. like any other powerlines around the province they are keep cleear of big trees etc. im no expert on this idea, but i think that this option just might work should there ever be a need. Now im not really sure were a person could get information on this kind of thing, id be willing to bet that if you went to bc hydro and started asking questions they might get a little defensive, but there must be somewhere on the net that one can look up this info.( maybe)

Now what about using the pipeline as a route out of town?? if im not mistaken doesn't the pipeline come out of the mountain in the hope area?? im thinking about those pipes that are red and white that go across the fraser river( please correct me if im wrong) what was the name of the pipeline company that maintained the pipeline... transmountain i think??? they have since been renamed. But would this be a good option?? i mean the pipeline hasthose markers in the ground every 100 meters or so( the orange ones that are about two feet tall) and every so often the pipeline comes out of the ground( a joint or something, like a maintence point)

Anyways, just some of my thoughts....

on the bc hydro website check out "transmission system" and then click on "provincal transmission system" these maps might be of some use.

OK, I will post in response to this before I get to work lolol. I too have been thinking of ways to GOOD when the SHTF. At the present time I do not have a vehicle and I am not sure that's the best way to get out anyway. I mean, it depends on the situation, how prepared someone is with extra fuel, how easily one can get out of the city on the roads, etc. I have though of a number of options. I have two daughters, one just turning 9 and the other 10 1/2, and we all have bikes, which might be useful, but again, going out on any of the main roads would require us to be out in the open, which might not be safe. I would rather attract as little attention to our departure as possible and a bike could easily be taken away, especially from children.

I have also thought of getting an inflatable raft, something that could perhaps be stored in a secret location, and bugging out by rafting down the river. However, we would need the time to inflate the raft, although auto-inflate rafts are probably pretty quick. We do live with a km or two of the river.

Our other option is to follow the hiking trail that runs for about 100 km or to the north and south of the city. I would wager to say that most people don't know the trail is there or how far it goes and I could easily take us out of the city on foot, concealed within the trees along the river, and through many areas with farmland, camp grounds, and provincial parks. We could go off the trail if need be and stay relatively safe.

I hadn't thought of the power lines and will try to find a map of those for my are in southern ON. That is a great idea, but I am quite certain that we are closer to the river than the power lines, so the hiking trail is likely our first choice, with the power lines being a backup.
0 x

aaronbouge
Canada

Postby aaronbouge » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Livingpower what city are you in? Also consider railway tracks. They are designed to never have more that a 3% steep grade. Easy walking, and usually lots of bush on either side that can be dodged into.
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Aaronbouge, I am in London. Railway tracks are another great idea. Plenty of those around, although, they do go right through the centre of town, which means total exposure until well out of the main part of the city. I think I would prefer the hiking trail, which also passes through the centre of town, but concealed along the river. I am counting on the fact that I would clue in to the severity of what is happening earlier than most people and by the time they figure it out, which they will be doing in their homes and/or on the main streets of the city, my family will be quietly slipping away along the trails and at least at the edge of town if not already out of it.
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”