• Advertisement

my thoughts on many different things

Ktjane

Re: my thoughts on many different things

Postby Ktjane » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 pm

We don't watch main stream news anymore its always the same repetitive stuff, said exactly the same way over and over again. I don't share a lot of stuff with co-workers or even family as Im tired of being called a negative person. Seems that many people are really hoping that our govt will save us from the destruction THEY have created. The time has passed, we need to control our own lives, protect what matters to us freedom, security.... a place to call home. I really enjoy reading the posts it helps me to keep focused and know im not the only crazy out there...lol ktjane
0 x
ktjane

averna

Postby averna » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:51 am

This is a really great thread, so informative and it makes me feel like part of a community. Like G mentions, I worry about people being too extreme but mostly people here just seemed concerned and precautious. I'm going to comment on some of the different posts.

So far I have assembled family go-bags, set up lots of water, bought some food and started talking about emergency preparedness to friends. I don't feel close to ready for any eventuality but I am going to keep working. I've been thinking about starting a canning club. Lots of learn-to-can classes but I want to get a group together and put up some food!

Prepping with kids is good but I found too much disaster talk scary to mine, so I think it's best to approach things in the most positive way possible. Yes, prep a bag for just in case, yes, physically run through meeting places, disaster drills, practice using survival tools - no, don't detail disaster scenarios.

Alternate energy sources - I watched a talk given by the "earthship" home designer who said nowadays when they want to build, they find places where the zoning restrictions are minimal, rather than try to fight city hall. Here's an interesting thread about that.
http://www.permies.com/t/16846/homestea ... ax-housing
Solar is on my list of things to start doing. I've heard buying is cheaper than assembling. Your posted prices confirm that.

There was a study that found that foil hats are more likely to boost receptivity to radio frequencies than repel them ;)

G, I agree that lower mainland is no place to tent or build a shelter. Better to bug in. My goal is to get involved with an outlying community of like minded folk and share labour and costs for a place to go.

So smart to think of walking routes out - I have an idea of making a portable survival book printed with ideas I find online. Now I will include maps. I was struggling with waterproofing and it seems there is paper made of plastic so that might work.

I'm going to post this now because otherwise it will get too long.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Well folks, been busy with life lately, hope y'all are paying attention to what is going on in the world lately? I hear Taylor Swift is arguing with whats her name?...lol meanwhile back in reality there are real world problems. Hope everyone is taking the time to meet with each other and reach out and meet new folks in the community. Remember that meeting new people and expanding the circle of like minded friends will go along way should the day ever come when we all need to have a support network.
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Outside the "prepper "genre I have met literally hundreds of women in the lower mainland who are networking with regard to everything homesteading ex. gardening . canning advice, critters ... underlying almost every organic gardener, homesteader, permaculturist beats the heart of a prepper :) Predominantly women but not entirely . And they are a cooperative force to be reconned with, you have to be invited and vetted with a member vouching for your integrity so I have found every interaction a very positive one .
0 x

Grumpy Bear

Postby Grumpy Bear » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 am

Sounds good Syn, people will either be proactive or be slaves to who ever will feed them when the Shit hits the fan.
All ways remember that mamma bear is not as big as poppa bear but she's ten times more defensive and vicious defending her own.
0 x
Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 pm

But women also have to finesse situations, we can't rely on our brawn, so I think we are also more cooperative together for the mutual good. Not only will these ladies go to bat for theirfamilies but they will also work HARD to ensure prosperity . Maybe not every woman , but that is why they only invite whom they see to be on the same page.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Syn,

I hear ya, the underground permaculture-garden homesteading ladies in my neck of the woods are outstanding! we share in so many ways.. I am so glad to hear that its happening in so many other places as well.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Odin Gray
Canada

Postby Odin Gray » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:02 am

gmurphy wrote:guess i'll will dust this ol' boy off. ..

... I read alot of posts about people worried about OPSEC..." maybe I'll just sit in the corner and watch" if we all just sit in the corner and watch then we could be potentially passing up valuable knowledge and information...

This site has a ton of info, i get a new tidbit everytime i come here, but I admit that i shake my head everytime i see a thread about meeting up and then read that no one showed up..it's dishearting...

Snips from gmurphy post from June 2015

I have been "busy for awhile" and I haven't been on this site for a while.

As I was the only one who has mentioned OPSEC and "maybe I'll just sit in the corner (of Tim Hortons) and watch" in an earlier thread, I do feel called out by gmurphy on this one.

Perhaps if the "lets go for coffee" crowd would actually contribute first-hand information (as opposed to Internet searches and other arm-chair epiphanies) , one could form an opinion of ones character without the need of a face-to-face with a stranger in an overcrowded coffee shop. The amount of posts trying to make coffee dates exceeds the number of posts describing FIRST HAND experience with prepper related activities.

While I do not deny the importance of establishing a community of like-minded individuals, I prefer to use other means than spending time and money over bad coffee. Prepping, like Fight Club, has one rule: never talk about it with people until a VERY high level of trust is established.

While I am flattered that my response to aaronbourge a long time ago has reached legendary status of " a lot of posts about people worried about OPSEC and 'maybe I'll just sit in the corner and watch'", I will practice my art of prepping in a private fashion which includes gleaning information from forums such as this. I will contribute when I have something to say.
0 x

gmurphy

Postby gmurphy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi oden-grey, the point I was trying to make is that those that "sit in the corner and watch" do just that...those folks don't get out of their bubble and meet new folks. If you go back and wander this site, you will find my posts about my experiences getting out and meeting folks instead of "sitting in the corner and watching". I now have some very good friends, that came from this site, that I would not have meet if \i didnt make the effort and take a chance on "bad cup of coffee". Do as you will, it is a free country..or its suppose to be anyways.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:20 pm

I see it this in all ways.

I have planned coffee meets that have had a dozen plus.. it was to many people.. no one really felt comfortable.. the number was to big.. The ones that knew each other, made the ones that didn't feel a little out of the "loop" or so I was told afterwards

I have also had people ask for a meet, taken the day off my farm and driven the hour plus and that very morning been told I will have at least six or more show up and then sit there with only my husband as NO ones shows up and then after heard.. this and that about why not.. Thankfully, we had planned to go shopping afterwards or I would have been sitting there alone.

I have also have small coffee gatherings of two to four where way to personal questions get asked, and I have had small four to six meetings that where perfect.. great way to meet, great visiting, the right mix of sharing and touching on subjects.

Moving on the bigger gathering, I have hosted the yearly Ottawa and area summer gathering, my smallest was 14 people and my biggest just over 40.. the ideal appears to be in the mid-20's but I have also changed up the format.. and I will be adjusting again this year..

the first year or two, way to much time spent on introductions and why I am here.. That's what the Spring coffee meets are for, the big day, there is a morning coffee chat, a lunch chat and parking lot after chat but the day itself is about learning.. two sessions slots in the morning and two in the afternoon.

I have to admit that very few of the folks I meet at the gatherings make it into my circle for closeness but a few have and they are so worth it..

So for me.. Taking the risk to meet folks is worth it, taking my time to make sure I want to continue that relationship to what level.. general friend level.. personal friend level or in the inner circle level.. well the meet is to introduce yourself but it takes a lot of time to figure out the rest..
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “British Columbia”