• Advertisement

Wood Gas for power??

leadready

Wood Gas for power??

Postby leadready » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 am

Anyone else investigating a wood gas as a fuel for generators or vehicles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
0 x

krazy_kat

Re: Wood Gas for power??

Postby krazy_kat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 am

There was a tv show on the other day that featured a 56 chev comverted with wood gasifier, I think it was called "ultimate prepper" and it was either on the discovery channel or national geographic. it was pretty good, featuring several different prepper's stories. I've also heard of another guy who's working on putting one together for a farm tractor. I've been thinking of trying to put one together but have to get my hands on a pre-electric fuel ignition pick-up first.
0 x

leadready

Postby leadready » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:05 am

I have been a mechanic for 26 years and I remember and old German guy I work for telling me about it back in 1986. It
is much easier than one would think to get it set up to run. I think burning would and producing power would be a huge
benefit and stress reliever in times of trouble or natural disaster.

You can use a fuel injected vehicle by just shutting off the fuel pump..
0 x

Muskeg

Postby Muskeg » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:32 pm

I haven't had time to construct one yet but I have two different plans. When my brother-in-law was out of work, I gave him one if the plans so he could start making and selling some on the side. After me badgering him for a few months he finally made it clear that was not the kind of help he wanted.

I spoke to a guy at Cummings regarding a good generator which would run on woodgas. They couldn't really help on that but woodgas did void the warranty.I don't suppose and knows of any long term problems with running a generator on woodgas?
0 x

yyzmec

Postby yyzmec » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:40 am

you may want to checkout engineer775 you tube channel
0 x

lafstars

Postby lafstars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 am

Many years ago (late 70s -early 80s?) there was a very good article with full instructions in the MOTHER EARTH NEWS magazine; try to track that one down.
...~*~...
0 x

analog man

Postby analog man » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:40 am

xxxx
Last edited by analog man on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

lafstars

Postby lafstars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm

a bit off topic, but for anyone interested, check out the GEET or SPAD
http://www.panaceauniversity.org/Hydroxy%20Boosters.pdf
some good utube vids are out there too.
...~*~...
0 x

canuckprepper

Postby canuckprepper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 pm

My son and I are currently building a gasifier to power our Gasoline powered generator. We are using the FEMA design which is available free on the web.
I will post the results when it's done

Hookup is pretty simple, create an additional carburetor out of schedule 4 pvc with a simple ball valve and hook it up to the air intake on the air filter of the engine. Adjust the air/fuel mixture with the ball valve until the engine runs smoothly. Of course, you need to shut off the supply of gasoline from the fuel tank to the carb on the engine.
0 x

Muskeg

Postby Muskeg » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 pm

canuckprepper wrote:My son and I are currently building a gasifier to power our Gasoline powered generator. We are using the FEMA design which is available free on the web.
I will post the results when it's done

Hookup is pretty simple, create an additional carburetor out of schedule 4 pvc with a simple ball valve and hook it up to the air intake on the air filter of the engine. Adjust the air/fuel mixture with the ball valve until the engine runs smoothly. Of course, you need to shut off the supply of gasoline from the fuel tank to the carb on the engine.

That would be great to hear about. What size generator are you planning to use?
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”