• Advertisement

Buggin as a group

farmer

Re: Buggin as a group

Postby farmer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Started watching it the other night. had to book mark it to come back later but from what I saw it looks like a lot of people I know. And like it or not it is based on a real what if scenario.
0 x
"You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad." - General James 'Maddog' Mattis USMC Ret.

cosmicprep

Postby cosmicprep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Just read all 8 pages of this thread and have so much to talk about I had to make notes! It is gonna take a few instalments. I'm late to this table so please bare with me.

Over all, two main themes stood out : Groups and Bugging Out. Starting with Groups, Screedcrete seems quite sincere in his ideas of the importance of a group, what it is and his desire and need of one. Lone wolves, if they survive, will end as hunted scavengers; no real place in whatever society exists after SHTF settles down.

So a group is good. One can 'rule-of-thumb' the size of a group by 'extended family' (up to 15-ish), 'clan' (several 'families') and 'tribe' (2 or more clans). Obvious, historic, basic terminology that all will understand. Problems expoentially multiply as numbers increase. Two or more people automatically means politics; how familiar is group dynamics?

Not in a group? Get in one now -its getting late. Even if its a contingency join (just don't bs the other members), at least you have an option. There also 'natural groups' all around you, your family, best friend crew, sport/game team, the in-law's family etc. etc. Like all relationships, you get out what you put in. A group becomes a team only if the group is active. There is no need to be 'heavy' with its members, let the cream rise, and the various personallities sort themselves out. SHTF will be a tough mistress and will eleminate the deadwood.

Time has run out on me, more to come.
0 x

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:00 am

Heya cosmicprep,

Well put.

Preppersaurus
0 x
You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 am

Has the SHTF already?

http://www.news1130.com/2013/08/08/upti ... y-gardens/

Preppersaurus
0 x
You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.

justdoit

Postby justdoit » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:19 am

aaronbouge wrote:I have been giving this post a little thought, and it is true that the way people in the interior prep vs lower mainland are very different styles of prepping. I think the people in the interior need to come to the realization that regardless of how well people down here will be recieved, it simply does not matter. Everyone, even NON-PREPPERS, look at the interior as being some sort of "refuge" from the rest of the world. It does not matter if this is truth or not, this is the way it is generally viewed as by the people down here. So no matter how you feel about it, if something disastorous enough occurs that people need to bug out, you WILL have a sudden huge wave of "refugees". I quote that term because not everyone will be the helpless in need of help typical refugee that we think of when the term is used. Therefore, you might want to consider changing the way you prep.

The way I see it, there will be two waves of people headed your way. The magnitude of the disaster will determine the size of the waves and perhaps more importantly, the space between the waves. The first wave will be people like me, and screedcrete, and other people who have the common sense to get the heck out when it is time. We are the people who ARN'T there to mooch, or take a "piece of the pie", or take advantage. We are not oppurtunist,the talkers, or tag alongs. We are the people who have put considerable time and effort into learning valuable skills that will help us and others to survive. We are the ones who have planned, and those plans usually involve family members or safe places to go that arn't on your already owned land. And we are the ones who usually have already figured out a way to feed ourselves without dipping into your preps.

The second wave of people will be the desprate. The hungry. The ones who waited around to see if the government would deliver food to their doors. The ones who believed mainstream media. The ones that didn't plan.

People of the North, you have two choices on how to prepare for these waves.

1. You can use the time you have NOW to make connections with the prepper groups down here. You can filter out the oppurtunists, the ego maniacs, the rambos, the tag alongs. You can connect with the people who have something to bring to the table. You can help them set up caches up there so that they have their own food when they arrive. You can welcome them with open arms because you have already gotten to know them and have a certain degree of trust. You can incoprate yourself into there plans to bug out and offer suggestions. Perhaps you know of trails in the area that wont be as used that would help them get to you easier. You can discuss your own plans of defense(from the 2nd wave) and jobs that they would have once arriving in your community, so everyone knows what their jobs are before they even arrive. Ie. doctory, carpenter, hunter, farmers, etc. You can completely include the first wave into your plans and include yourself into theres so that the ENTIRE group can co exsist and survive the second, larger and more dangerous wave.

Or

2. You can start buying ammo.

Thats it. Those are your two options. My point being that these waves of people will come no matter what you feel. And you know what, there are a LOT of armed people in the lower mainland too. And a lot more people. So the choice is yours. Welcome the first wave with open arms and have a chance to protect your food from the second.Or welcome nobody, and prepare for a bloodbath. I know this might sound harsh, but I believe it's true.Personally, I feel you can never have too many friends. And friends should be always welcomed. It is just a matter of who you pick and choose those friends to be.

I would bet if 80 percent of the folks in the lower main land had the chance they would go to Calgary or Edmonton. It seems every other person i meet in Edmonton has family in BC.. mostly on the Island and in the lower mainland.. From what i hear they have plans to have their familys stay here if something bad happens there. I would think most fleeing the lower main land will be looking for fuel to get to larger cities..I don't care who a person is.. If your slowing down in a car or truck and you hear gun fire the first thing people (most) think is flee the area. Its a 10 hour drive in decent weather. If a person had any food stored in the ride and spare fuel they could make alberta. If the side roads are closed off by locals how would most of the folks fleeing enter the small towns?? All food for thought.. trees across the road makes people move on.. I know of a area up here that the plans are to close off the roads from the main roads and post signs at these spots to make others reconsider entering the area. All i can say is i wish every one of you and your family well IF something happens..
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Preppersaurus wrote:Has the SHTF already?

Preppersaurus

I think it has in ways people don't even want to acknowledge. A local farmer in the lower mainland told me that bee hive theft, entire hives as well as just having the frames lifted, is on the rise because demand for pollination services and loss of colonies is impacting the food industry in ways the average person is not seeing right away. There is tons of metal theft going on . When I open my natural gas bill and see $50 worth of charges on a $20 commodity I see that as theft too . We see it is thousands of small ways impacting us slwly with growing intensity .
We barely see it in the insidious practices of what you are buying as food in the grocery store go largely unrecognized or unacknowledged. We seem happy to partake of the abundance and choose to disregard the toxins, oil dependency , environmental degradation, genetic atrocities of GMO plants and animals and the fact that what one eats affect your lifelong health but also affect your genetics you pass down.
Climate factors have hit home to corporations and governments that are positioning themselves, with global acquisitions of resources but seem to just be conversation of whether scientists are right to predict a hotter climate or an ice age if the thermohaline circulation of the ocean currents based on convection created by salt and fresh water differential at the pole stalls and changes amoungst most half awake people.
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/augu ... 80113.html
Believe me , seeds left in a container in your bug out bag are not being selectively saved yearly for their ability to thrive in such escalated climate change , that is what we should be doing though . I think there the 'S' has been hitting the fan for while now and the people here on this forums are the ones noticing and speculating on coming consequences whether they are economic collapse, social deterioration and conflict or environmental like extreme weather disasters.
Last edited by Syn on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Cosmicprep's comment about 'lone wolves' could be very correct and that I am basing on the opinion of people who have been in devastated warzones around the globe have commented on the survival strategies that they see functioning and what doesn't.
0 x

Rmdpreps
Canada

Postby Rmdpreps » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Preppersaurus wrote:Has the SHTF already?
Preppersaurus

Wow, I thought of this too, Colin Dring has a great article about "Food Crisis, Food Security", what happens when you do not have access to fresh produce. Access automatically stops for some reason. (too many reasons to list).
Theft from community gardens has been going on far too long, and it's only now that it is being acknowledged. Before it was a few bunches of carrots, now the farms are being stripped bare.

Cosmicprep - You are spot on about surviving in groups. "Strength in numbers"
An example that come to mind is a survivor's tale from the Bosnian War. - http://www.naturalnews.com/040249_Bosni ... z2SnkPYI8k
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 pm

my dad just had this happen, while was at work, some folks came in picked out acres of his saskatoons,
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmer

Postby farmer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm

There is definitely a food crisis there has been for years but no one has really been paying attention to it. We have started planning for it on our farm and we aren't the only ones. Justdoit said something about people fleeing to Alberta this could be an option but it could be a hard slog to get there. You will have to go through some major mountain passes that could be closed.

Have you all seen that movie on History After Armageddon? Watched it on youtube the other night some interesting stuff on there, they of course try and throw everything into the show but some good points. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8rYaPfFLgo
0 x
"You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad." - General James 'Maddog' Mattis USMC Ret.

Return to “British Columbia”