Re: Victoria Members

Postby Ima Prepper2 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:04 am

Hi all, I'm in the Royal Oak area.
0 x
[i]If you don't like your course, change the sail not the wind.[/i]

gummybears

Postby gummybears » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:22 am

Nice to see y'all! I'm in esq. doin the jet trail this weekend. Going to try out my coke can alcohol stove!
What are you guys up to?
0 x

quietman

Postby quietman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:10 am

I don't think we do unless we are there visiting and it gets saucy.
I got caught with family emergencies in Alberta while the ferries were on strike twice. So once they were back, off I went.
There are lots of you but many are planning on there own. Have a meeting and I wish you the best.
0 x
Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Wed May 25, 2016 1:45 am

Add me to the Victoria list. If the SHTF here, I hope to hunker down and not join the mass exodus!

I'm interested in a comment above about the need for community. It brought the thought into my head... if the SHTF suddenly, and communications go down, how do you guys plan to communicate with others?
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 am

What about the Baofeng UVR-5?
0 x
One is none, two is one.

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Mon May 30, 2016 4:53 am

I've been looking into ham and CB radio. But I know nothing about them and they, especially ham, don't look easy to pick up. It's hard to even know what kind of equipment to buy.
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 am

Jonesy, would you recommend the Baofeng UVR-5 as a beginner's ham radio?
0 x

Mesachie

Postby Mesachie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi Folks,

So, rather than a Victoria-specific topic maybe we can cover southern Vancouver Island. I commute daily from just south of Duncan into Victoria and realised that there are a couple of more likely SHTF-type events which could occur like volcanic activity, or the Cascadia fault rips open w/accompanying tsunami, solar flare, wild fire or even hurricane-force winds knocking trees down all over the Malahat. All these types of events would probably cause me to abandon my car in the lot and walk home (40Km).

I have started packing a GHB (Get Home Bag) in my car. The contents of which take into account any one of those likely events and having to walk all the way home which, depending on the type of damage and the time of day, could involve an overnight camp.

Are there others in this situation who have planned for this eventuality? We could compare items.

Thanks!
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm

It was an interesting experience for me, with the recent 'stormageddon' warnings we've had here on the west coast these past few days. It was a good test for me to see what I've done well with and what I still need, should we lose power for any prolonged period of time. I felt good having a good supply of food and water in. But I realised that I would have no way to warm up my food; not a big deal, but something to consider. I also realised that I needed to keep electronics fully charged and that having a power bank/portable battery of some kind would be a good idea. So, these ideas helped me prioritise my latest prepping purchases. In the end, the storm was a whole bunch of nothing, but I learned from it.
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”