• Advertisement

Beyond the usual gear.

Tarnthewoodsman
Canada

Beyond the usual gear.

Postby Tarnthewoodsman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:49 am

What do you include or would like to include in your preparations that you think most others would not have thought of? Why?
It could a piece of gear, a skill that you practice, a food item...
I am just trying to get some discussion going.
0 x

Tarnthewoodsman
Canada

Re: Beyond the usual gear.

Postby Tarnthewoodsman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

I'll go first.
I save the heads from old garden tools. Gardening with wooden tools is possible but if you have ever tried making and using a wooden shovel then you know it's not easy and they don't last very long. I believe any scenario which disrupts international trade would have tools at a premium. Garden tools with broken handles are often free at garage sales. The handles are not that hard to make and the heads don't take up too much room.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 am

I don't know how unusual this is, but I keep extra pairs of glasses and chapstick, as I am useless without either :) Also, as a vegetarian and someone prone to pernicious anemia, I stockpile extra B12 as well as foods high in that (cooked & dehydrated eggs). Through my volunteering at the animal shelter, I've learned various pet first aid skills, and accumulated various leftover supplies & ointments.

Also, I keep my small electronics (ham Baofeng, solar charger, solar lamp) double-wrapped in a fire safe as some EMP protection. This is more home emergency prep than end-of-the-world prep, but I put down water alarms in certain spots, 1 on each floor, so I will know immediately if there is a flood or sewer backup, or if the neighbor's hot water tank above me has let go.

I don't have great yard for gardening, and this year all my veggie gardening failed (nothing germinated), so I made a point of mapping every food-producing tree & shrub in my area for any future foraging purposes (it helps that some local orgs do most of this for fruit picking volunteering). I also mapped all the local water sources and how fr they are from my house.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Ktjane

Postby Ktjane » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Some great tips thanks. I have a garden going right now, damn Im not a gardener. I see gardens flourishing everywhere and mine is pathetic. UUUGG!! Guess I'll have to learn. In the meantime I purchased a survival book, "How to stay alive in the woods" Bradford Angier. And although I have never been a big gun lover, I have acquired my license. Getting over my fear of guns was more than 1/2 the battle. We have begun to scale down getting rid of STUFF that at one time we thought we needed. It's all a process and I too hope we are ready when the time comes.
0 x
ktjane

Tarnthewoodsman
Canada

Postby Tarnthewoodsman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 am

Here is another one. Old screens (preferably metal) and wire mesh, they are something that most people come across from time to time and they can be rolled or folded to take up very little room. They work very well for dehydrating food.
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:31 am

I have a few small metal racks/shelves from an old stove and old fridge, potential grill or rack to hang things from. I also have a plethora of Vicks inhalers as I suffer from chronic sinusitis.
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:16 am

This is probably more in the hoarding/OCD category but I collect the little shampoos/conditioners and soaps when I stay in hotels. As I'm on the road for 1 week out of every month, that adds up over the year.

Result is that we don't have to buy soap etc if we don't want to.

I toss them into Ziploc baggies as complete packages for future use, bartering, or for donations to the local drop-in center.

I'm guessing that if shtf, people will still want bullets and beans first for barter, but eventually people will realize the importance of "old world" soaps and shampoos as the supply lines break down in a true shtf. If it never happens, I'm no worse off and the drop-in center continues to benefit in the meantime as I only keep so much on hand and rotate stock.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:34 am

Dangphool wrote:This is probably more in the hoarding/OCD category but I collect the little shampoos/conditioners and soaps when I stay in hotels. As I'm on the road for 1 week out of every month, that adds up over the year.

Result is that we don't have to buy soap etc if we don't want to.

I toss them into Ziploc baggies as complete packages for future use, bartering, or for donations to the local drop-in center.

I'm guessing that if shtf, people will still want bullets and beans first for barter, but eventually people will realize the importance of "old world" soaps and shampoos as the supply lines break down in a true shtf. If it never happens, I'm no worse off and the drop-in center continues to benefit in the meantime as I only keep so much on hand and rotate stock.

So I'm not the only one with that same OCD thing for hotel products??? :shock:
1 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:22 am

There's at least three of us:)

When the wife gets upset at the pile of soap, I usually thin it down by donating to a women's shelter or something. Earns extra brownie points with her for free as well:)
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:25 am

Good Idea!
As I sit in a Holiday Inn for 5 nights once again lol
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”