• Advertisement

first aid kit

oldmanprepper
Canada

first aid kit

Postby oldmanprepper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:04 pm

when setting up a first aid kit,I understand you must keep it small,lite,and with only basics.I was a level 3 ofa for 14 years.I carry duct tape clean wipealls,plastic,and antibiotic crème when out sledding.What about antibiotics to deal with an infected cut or an infection of some type if you cant get to medical help(shtf).I have unused T3s,and some unused pennisilin,but is it possible to buy something like that online?I cant believe I'm the only one thinking about a situation like this.
0 x

Preppersaurus
Canada

Re: first aid kit

Postby Preppersaurus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 am

Fish Supply places in the US sell the exact same antibiotics used by humans. Can be ordered on line. There are many and you had better know the proper use for them, because all antibiotics are not created equal.
0 x
http://preppersaurus.blogspot.ca/

oldmanprepper
Canada

Postby oldmanprepper » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:50 am

Thankyou
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:15 am

Oldmanprepper, you're not the only one thinking about med kits. As reported here and by Denob in a different post, you can consider getting fish antibiotics online (they are the same as humans' meds). I would suggest you look around the medical section of this website. I've included a reference sheet to say which antibiotics works for what conditions, as well as the usual treatment plan (how many pills/day and duration). Also, I would like to suggest the following posts:

1) Sutures!
2) TGIF - How to build your own Med kit
3) antibiotics

The search engine included should bring hose topics up.

A sympathetic doctor may also help you get a basic set of antibiotics depending on how good a relationship you have with him/her.
0 x

oldmanprepper
Canada

Postby oldmanprepper » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:26 am

Thanks,thats gonna be next weekends job,getting a first aid kit put together.
0 x

oldmanprepper
Canada

Postby oldmanprepper » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:54 am

I also just ordered two hard copies of,"where there are no doctors"and"dentists".Was also researching dental kits but will wait to get the book and read it first.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:31 am

They're good books. I've only looked through the dentistry one, but if it's as good as the doctor one, they're good resources to have!
0 x

oldmanprepper
Canada

Postby oldmanprepper » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:00 am

Well.I have my first aid kit finished,(I cant believe how much it cost)lol.It weighs 60 pnds so I guess it is a retreat first aid kit.Just got some things in the mail today to finish it,dental filling material.Im gonna have to buy a separate bag for dental supplies as my Husky tool bag isn't going to be big enough.It was an informative couple weeks of research.I also bought a third book,"The Survival Medicine Handbook"which is really good.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:07 am

oldmanprepper wrote:Well.I have my first aid kit finished,(I cant believe how much it cost)lol.It weighs 60 pnds so I guess it is a retreat first aid kit.Just got some things in the mail today to finish it,dental filling material.Im gonna have to buy a separate bag for dental supplies as my Husky tool bag isn't going to be big enough.It was an informative couple weeks of research.I also bought a third book,"The Survival Medicine Handbook"which is really good.

That sounds like an impressive kit, 60 pounds! I hope for you that you have some means of dividing the supplies so as to keep them organized and easily accessible. Considering the likely financial investment you've made, may I ask why you decided on a large kit instead of a couple smaller ones? Seems like if you end up needing this bag at a roadside accident, you risk loosing a lot if the bag was to roll down the ditch into the swampy mess at the bottom (or in the rain, snow...)
0 x

theiss

Postby theiss » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:15 am

I have been away a while from this post - so very sorry for resurrecting a - possibly - old thread.

But for antibiotics, pretty sure you can get them from vets.
My dog had a UTI, and was prescribed amoxicillin - no different in content than in human's antibiotic.
just need to worry about content. I think my dog was only getting 150mg while humans would start at about 500mg (do your research, I'm only going by memory here).
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”