• Advertisement

One Less Escape Route Out of the Lower Main Land

Preppersaurus
Canada

One Less Escape Route Out of the Lower Main Land

Postby Preppersaurus » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Earthquakes in Chile. Tsunami warnings. Record wildfires. Winds that knocked out power for almost a week, in some areas. And now, if that didn't give some people an anxiety attack, there is now one less way out of the Lower Main Land.

http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/328072571.html

Welcome to NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS MONTH.

Is it just me, or does a certain 'calm' come over Preppers when they are ready, and disasters show themselves?

Preppersaurus
0 x
http://preppersaurus.blogspot.ca/

jonesy

Re: One Less Escape Route Out of the Lower Main Land

Postby jonesy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 am

Or you could say there is one wide open way across. No one else will go there. Might wanna lower the air pressure in the tires and get a good run at it, but heck might be worth a try if in dire straits:)
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Screedcrete

Postby Screedcrete » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 am

The Lower Mainland is littered with bridges both small and large. No surprise here due to the geography of the region. Its actually one of the main topics we share as it will be a burden for sure. We have an option for this dilemma although some can pull it off, while others cannot. Again, power in numbers here. :roll:
0 x
Whatever tomorrow brings,… I will be there! ;)

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:44 am

We all seem to take them for granted until one in disrepair closes a main evacuation route. Imagine a huge earthquake taking out two or more. Could be a blessing if you are on the right side of the road block. Less people in a mass exodus heading out of town toward you. They didn't waste any time getting that bridge back to a passable state.
0 x

Grumpy Bear

Postby Grumpy Bear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:53 am

Bridges will become choke points in major disasters. The government can and will use them to limit the migration of people and equipment when the big disasters happen. Massive movement of displaced populations will in them selves be a problem as governments try to supply disaster relief.
We all know that relief will be the most effective in the most populated areas. So if you haven't made your bug out plan, with resupply of food, water and equipment stashed along your route to your bug out location including a contingency plans for water crossings if the bridges are closed to you. You might just be screwed. Better plan for your bug out would be to have a location that doesn't necessitate the crossing of a bridge or other obstacle. Get a few close friends to meet up with you at an off the beaten pass close to home. You know the area, you know instinctively how to get there, you know what to expect. Hey get your friends to have a practice event there once or twice a year to be ready for when the SHTF, I'd do it in Winter and Summer just so you know what to expect.
0 x
Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"

Syn

Postby Syn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:25 am

Key here seems to me to be the fact that a few key choke point accesses eliminated , and the majority of the problem is confined to the denser urban population centres during a prolonged crisis .
0 x

Preppersaurus
Canada

Postby Preppersaurus » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 am

Can't go ten km in BC without crossing some sort of bridge.
0 x

Wideawake

Postby Wideawake » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:28 am

Screedcrete wrote:The Lower Mainland is littered with bridges both small and large. No surprise here due to the geography of the region. Its actually one of the main topics we share as it will be a burden for sure. We have an option for this dilemma although some can pull it off, while others cannot. Again, power in numbers here. :roll:

You do know what happens to bridges in a 9.0 Quake right?
0 x

Grumpy Bear

Postby Grumpy Bear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:44 am

As a member of the local Ammature radio club I am also registered with Emergency Management BC for communications, this gives me a special vehicle licence (my call sign VA7VDE), a vehicle window decal pass and a photo ID pass to get through emergency road blocks, hense this means I get home to my family and my preppings, with the option of movement away from the damage zone. Just another reason to get your Ham licence and a radio.
0 x
Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"

HopeImReady

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:11 am

I am a ham (although not very active) and a member of my local radio Club...but we don't have any special passes. Is that an arrangement the club made with the local authorities just in your area? Sounds like a good idea.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “British Columbia”