• Advertisement

Apartment Prepping

prom

Re: Apartment Prepping

Postby prom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 am

They say we are 9 meals away from anarchy. Planning to bug in for 1 year in an apartment in a large city might not be the best decision. There are many emergency scenarios and for some bugging out might be the better option. Fort Mcmurray fires and High River floods come first to mind as an example.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Prom, your observations are probably correct. I however think that a prepared person in an apartment beats not doing anything at all. This may be the beginning of a preparing journey for the OP. I don't believe that unless you live on a 20 acre plus property 500 miles north of nowhere, that any prepping is futile.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:41 pm

CanCricket wrote:I don't have a balcony, unfortunately; there's no outdoor space for me. I have a fairly wide window ledge, so a small amount of rain catchment would be possible, but not a not. There is a rooftop area which offers the possibility for gardening and water catchment, however, being a common space, it's not a secure area just for me.

And I think I grossly overestimated how much I would be able to store here. I think a 3 month supply in-apartment is going to be the limit, unless I get very creative with my storage options!

3 months is a start. The worse thing that could happen right now would be for you for you to get discouraged and give up! Remember your storage locker option.

Mentioning the garden possibility, have you considered starting now? Asking the landlord/management if you could have a garden. Make it a project with your neighbors.
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

helicopilot wrote:Prom, your observations are probably correct. I however think that a prepared person in an apartment beats not doing anything at all. This may be the beginning of a preparing journey for the OP. I don't believe that unless you live on a 20 acre plus property 500 miles north of nowhere, that any prepping is futile.

Yes, you're correct. Sorry that my post sounded like prepping in an apartment is not a good idea. I didn't mean that. You have to work with what you have and start somewhere. I just think that prepping to live in an apartment through a long emergency or prepping only for bugging in in an apartment without considering bugging out plans for some emergencies is not a good idea.
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:25 pm

btw, this has been discussed before on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5393
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:05 pm

Being new to prepping in an apartment , or being more established with land and storage, what you store remaining viable to eat is an issue . I keep a little extra of everything we eat and just started adding a bit of this and a bit of that for antipasto type meals rather than keep great quantities of ingredients . I suppose I have three months stored if we rationed which is not as much as I could have accumulated but I cannot afford to waste money on food sitting and going off . Also that stored food may not be as healthy as foraged weeds. I once tried to eat the storage food and about day three I was feeling queasy . Maybe look and take a well rounded approach as you build up your prepping. Hiding things in plain sight is an excellant idea which may take some handiwork to modify things to accomodate more efficient storage of even a little extra here and there ? Room under table tops etc . With the approach of capitolizing on sales and stocking a bit extra to save money and have a bit more convenience as well as a hedge if you hit a bump in the road is a healthy start . If things went ape shit and you had to live only on your supplies , you can bet things would dangerous and damn hard to have stuff others would not come after if it were that severe a crisis so any stockpile of a full years supplies is questionable in my mind in place in your apartment and others mention having some networking to keep some stuff in another location and having a place to go where you contribute, is sound . A bit of this and that stored securely in your vehicle and storage locker is not that bad an idea . Everyone preps for different things , in different ways so if you are new to it, take a deep breath and start small and practical and think it through what exactly will help you through situations you foresee.
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:33 am

Don't worry, none of your comments have put me off at all. I welcome all the advice you've given me so far, as it's made me think of things that I hadn't considered. I'm going to concentrate on building up my short-term solution (3 months storage) right now. Then in the future, I will look into more long-term prospects like gardening and surviving without a stockpile, along with bugout plans and making contact with like-minded people. A move to a different location may also be in the plans. I appreciate all of the ideas you've given me.
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”