• Advertisement

Interior BC as (partly) off-grid retirement/BOL?

HopeImReady

Re: Interior BC as (partly) off-grid retirement/BOL?

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Good to know, Kootenay Kid. I have snow tires on my vehicle every winter, nothing against them - it's just that if I uproot myself & start all over again, it would be to move somewhere warmer.... so -5 definitely qualifies, compared to -40 with freezing rain & blizzards here in Ottawa :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Can't ever remember our "corner of the woods" getting freezing rain.....ever!
0 x

Odin Gray
Canada

Postby Odin Gray » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:47 pm

To add to the discussion:

the southern interior of BC is attractive for off-grid retirement/BOL for all of the reasons given.

However, the elephant in the room remains the proximity to Seattle/Tacoma military-industrial targets.

Winds and associated fallout WILL drift over much of BCs lower mainland (Vancouver area), the Okanagan, and Kootenays in AT LEAST two seasons out of the year.

I live in north central BC where the weather patterns do not (generally) blow in from the Puget Sound area. On the other hand, it is more difficult to grow crops here as the growing season is only about 100 days. Large greenhouses and raised beds work better up here.

I tried attaching a fall-out map (US, can't find a Canadian equivalent) but file will not attach. Sorry.

BC is the "Promised Land" for a BOL but location might depend on what you envision bugging out from.

cheers,
0 x

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:32 am

The island is upwind of everything.

Except Japan :)
0 x
One is none, two is one.

Odin Gray
Canada

Postby Odin Gray » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:39 pm

jonesy wrote:The island is upwind of everything.

Except Japan :)

My wife and I love Vancouver Island for holidays. We spent a few weeks there last summer exploring the central and northern logging roads and small towns. Proximity to the Pacific also contributes to food supply (unless the fish start glowing in the dark due to radioactive pollutants)

Seismically, it is pretty shaky ground with "the BIG ONE" allegedly over due.
0 x

HopeImReady

Postby HopeImReady » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:27 am

I'm currently in an earthquake zone in Eastern Ontario, a weaker one than West coast, historically we've only have 5s, but some experts say we're overdue for a 7+. So everything in my home is quake proofed to the extent possible, and I am one of the few that have earthquake home insurance...

Based on seismic hazard maps, interior BC is pretty low :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

jonesy

Postby jonesy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:40 am

Between the cascadia and a few others, it's a likely 'threat'. But we are 400' above sea level here. On solid bedrock. The 3 quakes I've had since living here, I had to be told they happened. Didn't feel a thing, and tsunamis up to the 350 foot level are a small concern:)

Go to "Nukemap3D by Alex wellerstein" if you want fallout predictions for anything. I can pm a link to all interested....
Anyone driving by nanaimo, drop a pm.
0 x
One is none, two is one.

saltandprepper
Canada

Postby saltandprepper » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:05 am

kootenay kid wrote:OK Here goes: These are from a current real estate flyer we received a few weeks ago.
Castlegar MLS#2412215 3 bedroom, barn, shop, modest guest house. 35 min to Nelson or 20 to Castlegar. $169,900.
Winlaw MLS#2414119 3 beds, 2 baths, 1.17 acres. Small orchard. $299,000
Beasley No MLS nelsonrealty.ca 29.56 acres. Bordered by Smallwood Creek. Level building site. $309,000
Slocan Park, just across the river from us. 200 feet of Slocan riverfront.5.93 level acres. Rancher with basement. Garage and outbuildings. Game fenced. $419,900S
Salmo MLS#2413481 108 Acres The ad says there are challenges with the property?????$99,ooo 250 505 2606
MLS#2414369 5acres near Appledale Golf Course, bordering the rails to trails and Slocan River $169,000
MLS#2413483 Lot A Upper Slocan Park Road 1.34 acres with drilled well. Country living on a no thru road $139,000
MLS#2416107 Nelson 1.34 acres Drilled well and certified Sewage system. $99,500

If I come across any more listings, I will post them. Hope that the above listings help...... They will probably really make you want to get out here quick!!!!!

KK

Although provocative, I shy away from the "Merkins" for off the grid life
0 x

Prepperben
Canada

Postby Prepperben » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 pm

I'm looking into creating a group in Creston area. The weather is good, you have food growing all over the place. If there is a nuclear conflict chances are they will try to preserve the area has a food source. The biggest treat I think will be Mericans!
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Keep us posted on the progress of forming a Creston group. We get to Creston several times a year, so maybe we could meet up for coffee?
1 x

Return to “British Columbia”