L Wilson wrote:helicopilot wrote:Hi L Wilson and welcome to IPN. Reading your post leaves me with some questions that would help with the discussion moving forward.
1) are you looking at relocating permanently or you just want to have a place to fall back if required?
2) why do you have BC in mind?
3) what is your current work situation? Are you Retired, a tele-worker or will you be seeking a job where you go?
4) do you have special needs and wants such as being closed to medical services or you enjoy entertainment and culture?
1) Fallback, I still struggle to justify a higher degree of commitment at this point both to myself and my mother whom I partially rely on financially
2) BC basically for more moderate climate to work with, and possibly more overall fertility and (edible) greenery, though not completely sure on that
3) I'm actually on disability for a persistent anxiety type issue that interferes with consistent wage work, which could potentially hinder my contribution to a community to some extent but I'm optimistic I'd be able to be a useful hand, and even expect to make personal progress with such a robust lifestyle
4) I'm taking some medication but not something that makes a huge impact, and I don't consider close access to medical services necessary. Also willing to leave behind all electronic luxuries and entertainment, I'm sure I can occupy myself with day-to-day work, training in personal interests, and some mind-expanding literature. I've already lost much interest in electronic entertainment after becoming aware of the increasing threat of SHTF.
So overall I'm fairly flexible, I may be able to take a trip there to make some connections, return to Ottawa, then retreat as I see fit. I have a bit of money saved up, possible extra support from my mother, and could possibly apply for disability in BC or something. I could even consider moving there indefinitely, it might be compatible with my current situation anyway.
It seems then that you're open to a lot of possibilities. I was wondering if you were planning on maintaining your residence in the Ottawa area and simply have a retreat in BC, which I now understand isn't the case.
For the sake of discussion, have you considered other parts of the county? While I agree that BC's climate is conducive to agriculture, I see there are other issues, namely being prone to seismic activities, dense population along the delta etc. When you depart to the more remote places, then you loose the fair climate advantage.