• Advertisement

Looking for advice about finding off-grid accomodations in BC

L Wilson
Canada

Looking for advice about finding off-grid accomodations in BC

Postby L Wilson » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I live in Ottawa, ON, and am currently feeling pretty urgent about acquiring a suitable location to work with before my options are swiftly lost to me. But I don't even really know what I'm looking for. I don't know what areas of BC are appropriate for this, and what living situations would the the most plausible and suitable. And the balance of transporting a large amount of non-perishable food to that location, versus acquiring it at that location through current infrastructure, versus being limited in both those regards and having to rely on self-sustenance earlier rather than later. Or which living situations are actually affordable, and accessible to me as some stranger from across the country. Whether a farming town would work, or if it would need to be a much smaller and more remote community, or handful of people.

Please give me some insights on the reality of these things, thanks.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Looking for advice about finding off-grid accomodations in BC

Postby helicopilot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi L Wilson and welcome to IPN. Reading your post leaves me with some questions that would help with the discussion moving forward.

1) are you looking at relocating permanently or you just want to have a place to fall back if required?
2) why do you have BC in mind?
3) what is your current work situation? Are you Retired, a tele-worker or will you be seeking a job where you go?
4) do you have special needs and wants such as being closed to medical services or you enjoy entertainment and culture?
0 x

henry

Postby henry » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:24 pm

After answering all this excellent questions I would recommend to visit somebody that lives off grid to see what is involved.
It is lot of work and lot of sacrifices .
Henry
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:28 pm

There are a number of off-grid areas in BC. From memory, Clayoquot Sound and Lasqueti Island are two. I think many of the islands off the BC coast are off-grid, but it depends on how far you want to be from 'civilisation'.
0 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:19 am

Look into http://www.wwoof.ca/home Maybe give you a sample of what you are looking for.
0 x

L Wilson
Canada

Postby L Wilson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:32 am

helicopilot wrote:Hi L Wilson and welcome to IPN. Reading your post leaves me with some questions that would help with the discussion moving forward.

1) are you looking at relocating permanently or you just want to have a place to fall back if required?
2) why do you have BC in mind?
3) what is your current work situation? Are you Retired, a tele-worker or will you be seeking a job where you go?
4) do you have special needs and wants such as being closed to medical services or you enjoy entertainment and culture?

1) Fallback, I still struggle to justify a higher degree of commitment at this point both to myself and my mother whom I partially rely on financially
2) BC basically for more moderate climate to work with, and possibly more overall fertility and (edible) greenery, though not completely sure on that
3) I'm actually on disability for a persistent anxiety type issue that interferes with consistent wage work, which could potentially hinder my contribution to a community to some extent but I'm optimistic I'd be able to be a useful hand, and even expect to make personal progress with such a robust lifestyle
4) I'm taking some medication but not something that makes a huge impact, and I don't consider close access to medical services necessary. Also willing to leave behind all electronic luxuries and entertainment, I'm sure I can occupy myself with day-to-day work, training in personal interests, and some mind-expanding literature. I've already lost much interest in electronic entertainment after becoming aware of the increasing threat of SHTF.

So overall I'm fairly flexible, I may be able to take a trip there to make some connections, return to Ottawa, then retreat as I see fit. I have a bit of money saved up, possible extra support from my mother, and could possibly apply for disability in BC or something. I could even consider moving there indefinitely, it might be compatible with my current situation anyway.
0 x

L Wilson
Canada

Postby L Wilson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:39 am

henry wrote:After answering all this excellent questions I would recommend to visit somebody that lives off grid to see what is involved.
It is lot of work and lot of sacrifices .
Henry

That's a good idea, maybe I can visit someone closer to where I live to try it out.

CanCricket wrote:There are a number of off-grid areas in BC. From memory, Clayoquot Sound and Lasqueti Island are two. I think many of the islands off the BC coast are off-grid, but it depends on how far you want to be from 'civilisation'.

Sounds fine to me, being far from other people is a plus if SHTF, especially islands.

scrounger wrote:Look into http://www.wwoof.ca/home Maybe give you a sample of what you are looking for.

That actually looks quite nice and clarifies my thinking, thanks.
0 x

L Wilson
Canada

Postby L Wilson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 am

CanCricket wrote:There are a number of off-grid areas in BC. From memory, Clayoquot Sound and Lasqueti Island are two. I think many of the islands off the BC coast are off-grid, but it depends on how far you want to be from 'civilisation'.

For some reason I actually moreso had interior BC in mind. I guess I thought there would be more to work with landwise, and more buffer from any starving hordes, but maybe the coastal islands would be good. I have some relatives there as well.
0 x

henry

Postby henry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:40 am

There is show on TV called 'ALONE" where person is put in remote area in bush to see who lasts the longest. One of the first to quit (after 2 days) was
wilderness survival instructor. I am telling you that to say that lot of people believe that living in the middle of nowhere / off grid is very romantic.
As a little kid I grew up with no hydro and I remembered only the romantic moments myself. Now I am using very little of hydro and being self sufficient I see it very differently. (still love every moment ).Took me many years of prepping be ready for that life style and it is still very hard 7 days work.
Henry
1 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:05 am

I agree with what henry wrote. I'm one of those people who think that it would be so wonderful if we could revert back to a time where everything is off the grid and we all live off the land, kumbaya. But realistically, if I was on the show Alone, I'd be tapping out after one night, because I like my electricity and creature comforts. I think the reality of living like that is much different than we would expect. I probably wouldn't survive long, no matter how idyllic my brain thinks it would be.
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”