• Advertisement

Looking for advice about finding off-grid accomodations in BC

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Looking for advice about finding off-grid accomodations in BC

Postby helicopilot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

L Wilson wrote:
helicopilot wrote:Hi L Wilson and welcome to IPN. Reading your post leaves me with some questions that would help with the discussion moving forward.

1) are you looking at relocating permanently or you just want to have a place to fall back if required?
2) why do you have BC in mind?
3) what is your current work situation? Are you Retired, a tele-worker or will you be seeking a job where you go?
4) do you have special needs and wants such as being closed to medical services or you enjoy entertainment and culture?

1) Fallback, I still struggle to justify a higher degree of commitment at this point both to myself and my mother whom I partially rely on financially
2) BC basically for more moderate climate to work with, and possibly more overall fertility and (edible) greenery, though not completely sure on that
3) I'm actually on disability for a persistent anxiety type issue that interferes with consistent wage work, which could potentially hinder my contribution to a community to some extent but I'm optimistic I'd be able to be a useful hand, and even expect to make personal progress with such a robust lifestyle
4) I'm taking some medication but not something that makes a huge impact, and I don't consider close access to medical services necessary. Also willing to leave behind all electronic luxuries and entertainment, I'm sure I can occupy myself with day-to-day work, training in personal interests, and some mind-expanding literature. I've already lost much interest in electronic entertainment after becoming aware of the increasing threat of SHTF.

So overall I'm fairly flexible, I may be able to take a trip there to make some connections, return to Ottawa, then retreat as I see fit. I have a bit of money saved up, possible extra support from my mother, and could possibly apply for disability in BC or something. I could even consider moving there indefinitely, it might be compatible with my current situation anyway.

It seems then that you're open to a lot of possibilities. I was wondering if you were planning on maintaining your residence in the Ottawa area and simply have a retreat in BC, which I now understand isn't the case.

For the sake of discussion, have you considered other parts of the county? While I agree that BC's climate is conducive to agriculture, I see there are other issues, namely being prone to seismic activities, dense population along the delta etc. When you depart to the more remote places, then you loose the fair climate advantage.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:42 pm

henry wrote:There is show on TV called 'ALONE" where person is put in remote area in bush to see who lasts the longest. One of the first to quit (after 2 days) was
wilderness survival instructor. I am telling you that to say that lot of people believe that living in the middle of nowhere / off grid is very romantic.
As a little kid I grew up with no hydro and I remembered only the romantic moments myself. Now I am using very little of hydro and being self sufficient I see it very differently. (still love every moment ).Took me many years of prepping be ready for that life style and it is still very hard 7 days work.
Henry

Henry, at the risk of jumping in the proverbial rabbit hole... I think the challenge with that show isn't to be off-grid, rather it is to have to social connection with anyone and be without any equipment. If anything, it flies in the face of the bug-out fantasy of departing to the wilderness with a backpack and thriving there.

For the right person, being off-grid and unplugged would be heaven on earth.
0 x

henry

Postby henry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Hey helicopilot .I agree with you THE RIGHT PERSON and if you read my post I said I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT (I live it). Off grid it also means being for long time alone (or with your partner) Your only entertainment is YOU and hard work.According to stats. 8 of 10 people fail trying it. I saw some with my own ayes .
Henry
0 x

henry

Postby henry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:57 pm

I think you had lot of advice so I like to show you the reason people do it. Go to google and watch this short video:

SIMPLE LIVING. Ones Man's Prospective on Life and Dream Fulfillment

The first video.
Henry
0 x

valleygal
Canada

Postby valleygal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 am

My question when someone says they want to live off- grid is -- What do you mean by that? No garbage pick-up, no electrical lines, no central heat, no phone lines (or even towers for cell), no Internet, no water line, etc. We live off-grid but have solar panels and generator so we have frig, freezer, washer. We go once a week about 2 miles to get our water. We have a wood stove with no propane back-up so we don't go far in the winter. We have cell service and WiFi. We have a septic tank but also a backup outhouse. Doctor is about a half hour away. Aside from using more gas than I would like in the winter due to shortage of sunlight (I do live in a valley) and getting water, while free, is a bit miserable in the winter, I am more than happy with my level of off-grid. We all have our idea of what we are looking for and what we are comfortable with. First start with making a list and that may determine where you look.
3 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree Valley Gal, what off-grid used to mean and what off-grid means to others now often just means off the power grid.. with their own source of solar..

The degree on which you want to consider "your" off grid needs to be worked out, and yes, Henry, its a lot of work.. far more then most understand..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “British Columbia”