• Advertisement

AAA Solar Chargers

bajapablo

AAA Solar Chargers

Postby bajapablo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Solar Chargers for AAA and AA batteries? Amazon has several available, but most of the comments discussed poor quality materials and manufacturing. There were even a few that were very inexpensive, some were less than $10 US. Or should I stick with windup lights?
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: AAA Solar Chargers

Postby helicopilot » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 am

I own one, it's the enclosed kind with the solar panel on the lid. You can adjust the lid so as to aim toward the sun. It charges batteries.... it's not as great as my plug in ones, but it works as advertised. Would it last years of abuse? I don't know. Having bought another "smart" charger, my solar one is now in my metal container of "just in case" gear.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Re: AAA Solar Chargers

Postby Denob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I have one that I picked up from Crappy Tire a few years ago...it charges, but has limitations.
1 - can take days to charge 4 cells
2 - requires constant repositioning to capture enough sun for it to work
3 - no way to tell if the cells are fully charged, patialy charged, or overcharged and damaged

Instead, I prefer a deep cycle battery, 10 watt solar panel, with a charge controller.
I can hook up a smart charger to this for charging smaller cells like AA, AAA, and my 18650s.
I just ordered this one from Ebay...I'll let everyone know how it works once I get a chance to play with it a bit.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272182487555?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
0 x

Return to “British Columbia”