• Advertisement

Farming info

NorthernVVolf

Farming info

Postby NorthernVVolf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Greetings from North Western Ontario

Part of our plan is to shield ourselves from unemployment and get all of us off the job. As for myself, "Job" is an ugly, four letter word. :) I love work, just not for the greater benefit of someone else.

A co-op group of farmers here are looking for a source of feeder pigs for this spring. Just wondering if there are any farmers here on the forum or any leads on where to buy. We are new farmers, some of us are still living in the city but believe our future begins in good, healthy dirt.

We also look for certain equipment occasionally. Presently, we are also looking for a pto or electric grain grinder and an old style potato planter that is ground driven.

Please respond here, or PM is fine too.
0 x
One day, the lowly farmer will be King

runswithscissors

Re: Farming info

Postby runswithscissors » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 pm

First place I'd look for a source of any livestock is the local feed store. They keep a listing of people that would have for sale or would sell. That's where I found my pigs last year.
0 x
Runs With Scissors

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:56 pm

If you have access to facebook, put in a for a farming group in your local area, or a local buy and sell, almost all towns and farming area's now have them, its a good way to keep your finger on the local coming and goings as well as to be able to put up info or buys wanted.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Kijiji, eastern ontario agrinews or your areas version, farmer's forum and the local auction barn are all places to find them. Supply is tight in the spring.
Last edited by OddDuck on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:22 pm

poultryswapontario.net .....under the livestock section there are usually some piglets listed. Premier poultry in the US sells a great electric grain grinder for small farm use. Very well designed and durable. Set you back a bit though.

For PTO driven, check your local general auction house. Do a google search for auctions in your neck of the woods. Many have spring and fall "on consignment farm epuipment" auctions where you buy as is, but can get some fantastic deals. I have seen grinders and rollers as well as seed cleaners on occasion.

I came across a potatoe digger at an auction late last fall but the amish got it. It was home made out of a plow share and you could put one together yourself or have a welder do it if you have a drawing of what you want. Doesn't look like much other then a plow share attached to a pulling frame to hook the horse/tractor up to. Lots of plow shares at the farm auctions and it is cheap and easy to get a single even.
0 x

NorthernVVolf

Postby NorthernVVolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Thank-you all for your replies. I've added a few more bookmarks to keep an eye on, for sure.

The Thunder Bay area is not a very hard core farming community in the sense that most of the 'feed' stores sell more for deer, wild birds and horse enthusiasts. I did ask Boles to start carrying more chicken stuff and they have. A farmer friend had to order his 100# feeder and 30G waterer from MB a few years ago. There is a solid community of farmers but they all shop out of province and some as far the S.E. States for equipment, stock, etc.

I've been warned that the local pig supply is very inbred and do not grow well. Anything like tractors, tractor parts, haying equipment, etc is at least double. So much so, I can drive 8 hours to MB, take a room and buy what I need through kijiji, cheaper than North Western Ontario. Farming auctions would be the same as far as price. Businesses here really believe they have a 'closed' market. Smirks wiped clean off some faces when I showed them a picture of a Menard's truck up from the states to deliver a house package.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shop local but local here doesn't cut it.
0 x
One day, the lowly farmer will be King

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 am

As to the piglets, some breeds are inbred, but most are pretty decent; mine included. A lot of the slow growing isn't due to inbreeding, but due to the breed itself. Heritage pigs grow slower than the pink factory pigs. Meat is completely different too. Its all in what you want to eat. Its the same as with factory cornish X broilers and heritage breed chickens. Cx are fast to grow out at less than 2 months and heritage chickens take 6 months. Huge difference in taste. Same argument as grassfed vs grainfed beef. Its all personal taste and what you deem worth the cost to get.

In the spring you can expect to pay $75-$125 for a weaner pig here in Ontario. They will sell fast at those prices.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 am

I found something for you

CANDY HILL FARMS Thunder Bay's Largest Hog Producer http://www.candyhillfarms.net/
We have a farm located at 87 Aspen rd. in beautiful Thunder bay, Ont.
We raise quality hogs for the BBQ and slaughter. You can also purchase starter/grower pigs that are locally grown and raised. We are open all year round for bussiness. We also grow good quality forage crops for the horse and beef owner.
You can phone us at (807)-473-9579
0 x

runswithscissors

Postby runswithscissors » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 am

I look around in the suggested places last year (2013) for weaner pigs. Kijiji and some other sources had weaner pigs listed for around $100 a pig. I then looked around and found the feed store I use now. It's a small place.
Look around. If there's producers in your area, they must be getting feed from somewhere. Then I'd ask them if they know anything.

Also, get in touch with the local 4-H. If they have a swine club they'll know of someone selling some. If not, they'll probably know someone selling weaners anyway.

I almost gave up last year when I seen weaners listed for $100. With a little bit of looking around and some asking, I ended up finding 4 for $45 a pig. I wouldn't pay $100 a piglet, unless I was buying into breeding stock - but you'll pay more for breeders. Being as you say your new to the farm, I'd not worry about breeding yet. Those feeders will be plenty of work at first.

Just my experience this last year finding and raising my own. Don't forget that once you do raise them, if your selling it to others it has to be inspected meat. Butcher fees and cutting fees are more then the feeding in my experience. For instance, it cost me about $550 to feed 4 pigs on non-med ration and then it cost me around $1200 to have all 4 killed, cut and wrapped by a provincial abbattoir (from memory anyway). Sure, one can kill their own pigs and butcher them up. I'd recommend that myself. But as I don't live on the farm I raise on there's transportation issues with the gov't if your moving uninspected meat (any meat). Plus, I was selling halves so I had to jump through the hoops this time.
0 x
Runs With Scissors

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

The first case of the pig virus that kills piglets has shown up in Canada and it is here in Ontario. If this virus spreads, the cost of a live piglet is going to rise.
0 x

Return to “Manitoba”