• Advertisement

whats in your gardens this year?

peppercorn

Re: whats in your gardens this year?

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:53 am

and just to be different I am trying to raise peas in raised beds so I don't have to stake them, I am going to see if they will fall over the sides of the container and grow hanging down, then I don't even have to set my beer down to bend over to pick the peas.

DSC01653.JPG
DSC01653.JPG (93.87 KiB) Viewed 1222 times

I will add a little foam(pipe insulation) to the edges of the container so they don't break hanging over the edge....

This is a raised bed for potatoes, 3.5 feet by 7 feet, 3 rows of 6, so 18 potato plants in it, they are just breaking the surface. The planting is denser than recommended. I can add boards to the perimeter to bring up the depth as needed. I am still building this, it will have a roof, and sides likely of clear polycarbonate, then this too can be propane heated to extend the growing season.
DSC01668.JPG
DSC01668.JPG (108.49 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:43 am

HopeImReady wrote:I'm planting the following:
cabbage
edamame
peas
rhubarb
flowers to promote good insects/pollination: sunflowers, cosmos, marigold,zinnias
dill
basil
cilantro
chives
3 types of squash
3 types of onion
garlic
lettuce
mustard greens

So, out of all these (all from seed), everything came up & is growing well in my allotment plot so far, except the chives, basil, cabbage and spinach (which I forgot in original list). The cilantro & dill is a little sparse considering how many seeds I planted, but that's ok since I also have an herb garden in my backyard. Also, the garlic didn't come up, but they were bulbils, so I think the first year you just get planting bulbs, and the 2nd year real bulbs.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:38 am

I just finished (almost) the roof for my raised potato garden, and I used polycarbonate, over a cedar frame
DSC01683.JPG
DSC01683.JPG (79.14 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

This stuff is just great, wait until mid summer when it goes on sale. From memory it was 20 years for sure, maybe 25 years guaranteed to not yellow. My first green house was built in 2010, so only 6 years old, but looks perfect, and even if does yellow a bit 30 years out I only expect it to be slight, and at 30 years out I wont likely be here to care.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 pm

Cool greenhouse, Peppercorn :) !!

Just harvested my first veggies today from my first-ever allotment garden - lettuce, onions, mustard greens and chives/chive flowers :)

I've had some conversations with my allotment neighbors. Nice people, mostly retired folks so they come at different times than me (during the day vs me after work).
It's funny, though, how they are quick to make comments how others are doing, about how mine took a while to come up, and yet almost all of these neighbors have all day, everyday, to garden and also bought bedding plants from the garden centre for everything. I planted everything from seed, work the garden around 4 or 5 days a week and make my own fertilizer. I think my garden is doing well, given my investment. I figure that in a real SHTF situation, there will be no garden centre and no commercial fertilizers....
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

HopeImReady -we have a community type garden with our group. Each family trying different techniques and veggies. It is interesting to see the differences...who's come up first, who's thrive throughout the growing season...that sort of thing.
Experimenting is definetly beneficial NOW. I have found the last couple growing years that who's up first is not the winning number anyway and I would agree that using started plants from the garden center greenhouse is not a preppers experiment! Hope you produce a nice bounty!!!! We had the benefit of the greenhouse we build last year and were able to enjoy greens throughout the Alberta winter(which was a pretty warm one-so perhaps not the best experiment).
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 pm

Potato raised garden is coming along now, I used glass (old sliding patio door) for the sides and south end, north end has doors that open that I just glued a couple old broken mirrors on. the side glass leans out for the summer time ventilation to keep it cooler, and tips in (locks in place) for spring and fall to keep the heat in.
of course this raised garden at 18 potato plants is not enough so I have started building another, larger one, 9 feet by 3.5, should hold roughly 27 potato plants
DSC01723.JPG
DSC01723.JPG (75.29 KiB) Viewed 614 times

I don't know what happened to my middle row, I think I was interrupted when planting and forgot .

DSC01726.JPG
DSC01726.JPG (72.09 KiB) Viewed 614 times

The whole thing is painted white, So I will refer to it as the "white house" from now on in my posts just so the alogorithms kick my posts of my potatoes up for human review at the NSA....they need something to do anyway.
Last edited by peppercorn on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:25 pm

I screwed up my seeds, what I thought I saved last year from short bush cherry tomatoes, turns out not to be so...I must start labeling everything so I don't mix things up. Quite the growth from the previous pic, I will soon be over run with tomatoes. (june 25, just spotted my first tomato, marble size)

DSC01720.JPG
DSC01720.JPG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Some things are ready to eat...
DSC01722.JPG
DSC01722.JPG (58.27 KiB) Viewed 613 times
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 am

So this building raised garden/green house things is fun and I do like seeing what I can whip up but the time it takes is no good.....its time to standardize, reduce costs, and mass produce, I need to ramp up to at least 300 sqft raised, and for me raised is a minimum 3 feet to the top of the dirt (3.5 is perfect) when im 60+ (do to all my broken bones) there is no way I will be able to get down lower for gardening. So I followed industries lead and deceided Pallet racking was the answer, its usually expensive, but not now in recession Alberta. go to the scrap yards, or on kijiji and they are awash in the stuff, prices they ask are all over the place but you can make deals.
A few calls and I had pricing of end pieces (12ft high ) for 20 dollars, 9 feet rails for 15 apiece, this is for stuff with peeling paint and the odd dent..fine by me. So cost wise a 12ft end piece will give me 4 three foot pieces, and 4 rails to make two raised gardens. So 60 dollars in rails, and 20 dollars in one end piece = 80 dollars to build 2 raised beds to 3 ft height. Hell I couldn't buy lumber to build a single bed that high. so I now have the cost of one bed at 40 dollars in steel.
In the pic you can see I just finished one up, The top of the rail will be where the bottom of the bed is, the top part of the raised bed will now be built with ordinary lumber. It will be roughly 33 sqfeet for each raised bed I build. I think I will need to build 9 of these.
DSC01735.JPG
DSC01735.JPG (70.93 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Last edited by peppercorn on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Very Clever indeed
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 am

Ok I have four of the steel frames made. So 132 sqft of raised garden in this pic, at the far end you can see I have just started building the top part, 10.5 inch deep will be these beds (I can go higher). the top of the dirt will be 3, maybe 3 .25 feet high from the ground, roughly 2.5 feet between the ends of the beds so I can walk between them. I will only get 4 done this year, other things are demanding my attention, but four more will be constructed next year. The next four will be parallel with these.
DSC01742.JPG
DSC01742.JPG (82.33 KiB) Viewed 467 times

This is how the top part is being made. Not even a mouse will be able to get into these raised beds.
DSC01747.JPG
DSC01747.JPG (76.07 KiB) Viewed 467 times

So easy, I didn't even have to drill holes in the steel as its so heavily perforated
DSC01745.JPG
DSC01745.JPG (68.9 KiB) Viewed 467 times
0 x

Return to “Manitoba”