• Advertisement

whats in your gardens this year?

peppercorn

Re: whats in your gardens this year?

Postby peppercorn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:31 am

Just a up date in case someone else does this. I couldn't here as the land I put these on is rolling sharply in two axis. but if you have a flat area and lay out one after the other as I have done, leave 7,8 9 whatever feet you want between the beds, then you can slap a 2x10 onto the sides of the beds extending between the beds to use these as the rails to build your bed on. this brings your average cost down to roughly 30 dollars each to get (in this case, (4 beds+ plus the space between them, so 7 beds) 7 beds at a height of 3 feet. That's very cheap . Also these beds I have built drain by way of a 2 inch slot running the length of the bed, so should exstream drought conditions ever come to alberta I could recover all the water the plants don't use.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:48 pm

hmmm. interesting.. very interesting
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:51 pm

so the strawberries are coming to a end, only 33 pounds worth this year instead of a hundred plus, blueberries are ripe and being picked, first big flush of red currents ripe and picked and gooseberries are coming, first of the rasberries are starting as well.

peas are almost done, first push crop of beets are ready, and so much more hilled over 200 spud plants and so forth
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:44 am

Still working on the raised beds, building tops for them, with chicken wire to keep the deer out, and each will have a arched clear polycarbonate top for hail protection...if its good enough to do, its good enough to over do..
DSC01766.JPG
DSC01766.JPG (91.78 KiB) Viewed 461 times

all beds filled with manure and I am stiring in grass, leaves and compost.

DSC01758.JPG
DSC01758.JPG (83.11 KiB) Viewed 461 times

now eating from the garden, some tomatoes already turned red, and ready to eat!! peppers need more time though..

DSC01764.JPG
DSC01764.JPG (67.07 KiB) Viewed 460 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 am

Funny, I had to build the same cover with chicken wire, but to protect strawberries from birds. I got to admit, yours look, ahem, straighter...

Little HP also loved seeding multicolour carrots so she could play "guess the colour" before pulling them out.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:42 am

helicopilot wrote:Funny, I had to build the same cover with chicken wire, but to protect strawberries from birds. I got to admit, yours look, ahem, straighter...

I have been blaming the squirrels for getting my strawberries but you have me thinking maybe it is the birds?

Thanks, There is a simple trick to keeping everything straight....before I started I buzzed off a bunch of 90 degree blocks, by setting my chop saw up to make 45 degree cuts. Only takes a few minutes to buzz off a couple dozen blocks. With blocks in each corner nothing can go crooked. They are screwed and glued (tightbond 2, waterproof) in place...makes for strong straight corners, and no fumbling around with a square.

DSC01777.JPG
DSC01777.JPG (81.13 KiB) Viewed 385 times

DSC01780.JPG
DSC01780.JPG (56.49 KiB) Viewed 385 times

DSC01789.JPG
DSC01789.JPG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 385 times

I have decided to make these raised gardens a "feature" in the yard so I am going all out to make them look good, using cedar to build the tops, staining with a oil based varathane to make them water proof, and turn a dark golden amber colour. A will even face the Pallet racking legs with cedar to dress them up...its over kill, but what the hell, its fun to do.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Looks nice. After I built my cover, I read a trick online. Apparently you can deter your local birds by painting small rocks red like strawberries and placing them by your strawberry patch before bloom. It's supposed to train them that bright berries = hurt beak. And this should entertain a child for an afternoon! ;)
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:31 am

Arrived at our new house. Owners started setting up the land for permaculture. They aborted the rest of their planting as we bought the house so the garden isn't fully planted. The place looks a bit bushy right now but we'll do some cleaning up once the house is a bit more organized. Apple trees are doing really well and I frankly didn't expect such delicious apples around Edmonton. Lots and lots of raspberries. Some onions and potato plants. There are some tomato plants going and we'll see how they turn out. I don't know if the strawberries yield much fruits, but they have runners going everywhere like crazy. Lettuce and spinach were not tended to for the past 3 weeks so are just big wild bunches past their prime.

All in all, we're happy with what we got, but it will take a lot of our time to get things arranged.

Oh and lots of bees around! Maybe I should set up a hive next year??
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:50 am

Sounds interesting, welcome back, I am sure you can save the garden from the(premies) permaculture inflicted on it (a sort of joke). Prepare for a explosion of things on your to do, can do, list. Now that you have rural land and elbow room ....your opportunities widen. Non identifying pic always welcome.
Bad news....winter is coming so be ready. My hop plants have stopped growing, and are working on buds now..we are on the short days to winter now...
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:12 pm

helicopilot wrote:Arrived at our new house. Owners started setting up the land for permaculture. They aborted the rest of their planting as we bought the house so the garden isn't fully planted. The place looks a bit bushy right now but we'll do some cleaning up once the house is a bit more organized. Apple trees are doing really well and I frankly didn't expect such delicious apples around Edmonton. Lots and lots of raspberries. Some onions and potato plants. There are some tomato plants going and we'll see how they turn out. I don't know if the strawberries yield much fruits, but they have runners going everywhere like crazy. Lettuce and spinach were not tended to for the past 3 weeks so are just big wild bunches past their prime.

All in all, we're happy with what we got, but it will take a lot of our time to get things arranged.

Oh and lots of bees around! Maybe I should set up a hive next year??

Lucky you on the permaculture, it does take work to have those food forests but so worth it, I am in the middle of a massive drought in my area and just like in 2012, the normal garden is pretty much toast and producing maybe a third it should but the hugelbeds, the multi-layed cropping an so forth, producing good to excellent..

only time will tell you what season the rasberries are but if you can and want to, get all four timed producing in, same with the strawberries, keep but tidy the older plants to see what you have next year and cut back and move 50 runners into new row and or bed, if you do not like the older ones next year then just rip them out and replace with the kind you want but if you do like, then you have a harvest from old and a perfect start to your new three year cycling bed.

Sask has amazing fruits tailored to your zone, you can now have apples, cherries, pears and so much more

Totally up to you on if you want the bolted to go to seed, might not be the year for it.. given every thing else on plate.
0 x

Return to “Manitoba”