• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

Dakota
Canada

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 pm

We're always making more ammo and bucketing food, but my most recent decent purchases are a beautiful wood cook stove and a bigger, better pressure canner. A manual log splitter (works well and allows us to take breaks from axe splitting). The group has also recently decided to meet more often to do more effective training/prepping!!! All great prepping additions!
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 am

nothing really - still working on Xmas gifts

I have started to collect baby patterns though
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 am

Bought a replacement (spare) wick for the kerosene heater, a pick axe and I've decided to try a hand a growing alpine strawberries from seeds. Seeds are in the freezer now for a few weeks and will start germination process afterward. My goal is to grow them on mostly upright pallet planters. Will see how this turns out.
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Been a while since I posted, had a rough coupla months and facing some health issues. Collapsed at a wedding reception back in Oct, found out I was severely anemic.. as in a day or so from a possible coronary problem. After some transfusions, some muck ups re my treatment going forward and re-starting the whole thing with a new local GP, blood tests, referrals etc I now go in for 2 scpes in January to see what the problem is in my gut/ bowel. Hoping for an ulcer, fearing cancer - my mother nearly died a coupla years ago with a perforated and cancerous bowel. So yaay...

Am eating better, cutting caffeine back, and having a slow burn purge of my oh so cluttered tiny Bedsit flat/unit. have found a few cool things like some great small lantern torch combos, bought several and handed some out to family n friends (storm/cyclone season here). Passed on a big 20X12 foot heavy duty tarp and rope to my uncle for his motor home - had been in my cupboard for 4.5 years and never used..

Today I gave a good friend a 210 piece ok first aid kit with a few extras, dynamo torch, a micra, 2 ponchos, key ring torch and a pen/torch combo.

Been needing to purge/sort my way unorganised stuff, not just my preps but the clutter as well. Am committed to clearing at least 1/3rd of the stuff out. And getting it sorted to an organised and usable state.

Hope you and yours have a happy, safe and smile filled holiday time.
Happy Prepping preeps!
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Hey Razerp, hope your medical scare is mostly behind you now. This reminds me that as preppers, we often are good at making sure things are all squared away in as many aspects as possible: Heat, food, shelter... But sometimes forget to properly assess our overall health readiness.

Cheers

HP
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:03 am

razerp wrote:Been a while since I posted, had a rough coupla months and facing some health issues. Collapsed at a wedding reception back in Oct, found out I was severely anemic.. as in a day or so from a possible coronary problem. After some transfusions, some muck ups re my treatment going forward and re-starting the whole thing with a new local GP, blood tests, referrals etc I now go in for 2 scpes in January to see what the problem is in my gut/ bowel. Hoping for an ulcer, fearing cancer - my mother nearly died a coupla years ago with a perforated and cancerous bowel. So yaay...

Am eating better, cutting caffeine back, and having a slow burn purge of my oh so cluttered tiny Bedsit flat/unit. have found a few cool things like some great small lantern torch combos, bought several and handed some out to family n friends (storm/cyclone season here). Passed on a big 20X12 foot heavy duty tarp and rope to my uncle for his motor home - had been in my cupboard for 4.5 years and never used..

Today I gave a good friend a 210 piece ok first aid kit with a few extras, dynamo torch, a micra, 2 ponchos, key ring torch and a pen/torch combo.

Been needing to purge/sort my way unorganised stuff, not just my preps but the clutter as well. Am committed to clearing at least 1/3rd of the stuff out. And getting it sorted to an organised and usable state.

I am so sorry you have had a very rough go of it. I hope things are settling down.

I think the purge/sort unorganized stuff happens to everyone when there is a close call. I have been slowly working through my stuff as well. Please be patient with yourself, it will take much longer then you think. {{{hugs}}}
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 pm

I finally got a camp Dutch oven (a Dutch oven with legs) so I can cook in my wood fireplace. Also made a whole wack of salmon jerky. I have away most of my homemade soap as gifts this year, so in the new year I'll be making some more.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

charlescobrien

Postby charlescobrien » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Dakota wrote:We're always making more ammo and bucketing food, but my most recent decent purchases are a beautiful wood cook stove and a bigger, better pressure canner. A manual log splitter (works well and allows us to take breaks from axe splitting). The group has also recently decided to meet more often to do more effective training/prepping!!! All great prepping additions!

Hi Dakota,

I'm reaching out to you, Please feel free to contact me. I to am looking to find a group of like minded people to share ideas, network, and possibly join forces in community.
I still believe there is some decency in humanity, just need to weed out the good from the bad.

Regards,
Charles
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:36 pm

yarn - lots and lots of yarn
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

ewRe: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby HopeImReady » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 pm

A few recent arrivals from online purchases, my "present" to myself, a security bar for the front door (hope I never need it), and some wrought iron accessories for the dutch oven - a lid lifter and a lid rest.

Lately I've been adding knowledge to my preps, more than anything else. From the library, I am currently reading Ted Koppel's Lights Out - great book - I know most of it already (due to the business I'm in), but he did a good job to bring it all together in a "mainstream" book. I also got a few ideas from "52 Prepper projects" by David Nash. I have already done many of the projects, but will be trying two: making washing soda from baking soda, and making seitan from flour (I am a vegetarian). There is a snowstorm here and I think I am getting the flu, but I have the next week off, so we'll see how much I get done ;) If nothing else, it's nice not to have to venture out for anything :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Ontario”