• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

scrounger

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby scrounger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Crown,

That is one of the benefits of getting to know the area you live in on foot or by bike. Free food.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 pm

I discovered where most of the food/nut producing trees were in my area, by volunteering to pick fruit/nuts with a gleaning organization - a portion goes to the food bank, a portion goes to the org, to the home owner (unless it's the city/govt) and volunteers split the rest. Someone actually mapped every single food tree in the area in an online map:http://ottawa.hiddenharvest.ca/offer-or-pick/

Not sure if they have that type of org in your area, but I found it really helpful, esp to learn how to recognize certain trees.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Very cool Hope, What's been your favourite fruit/nut so far?

As far as my gleaning. I brought home my first pail of coffee grounds from work today. Going to try a leaf/coffee grounds compost this fall.
1 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 am

Not sure, maybe the seedless red/purple grapes? I find that variety is good, otherwise you get sick of the same fruit (tens of pounds at a time). We just did a pear tree pick today, and there are tons of apple picks in the next month or so.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 am

We framed the new green house and installed the roof. It is 14' x 18' and will have a full south wall of 60" tall house windows and another at each end in the west and east walls as well. The missus has been finding re-use windows on the various bid pages in the area and most open and still have their screens.

It is 8' along the north wall and 6' on the south wall, so we hope the slope will be enough with the little snow we get here. This winter I'll be building raised beds using 2' wide corrugated metal. If I could ever figure out how to add photos, I would lol
2 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:43 pm

picked up a Wagner 11 3/4" cast iron pan for $5 at a flea market...looks pretty good as is, but a bit of vinegar/water solution and some oil and it will be good as new!
1 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Sweet Denob! I love cast iron!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 am

Dangphool wrote:We framed the new green house and installed the roof. It is 14' x 18' and will have a full south wall of 60" tall house windows and another at each end in the west and east walls as well. The missus has been finding re-use windows on the various bid pages in the area and most open and still have their screens.

It is 8' along the north wall and 6' on the south wall, so we hope the slope will be enough with the little snow we get here. This winter I'll be building raised beds using 2' wide corrugated metal. If I could ever figure out how to add photos, I would lol

Pictures are required, find a 12 year old to help you post them if you have too....its what I do when I have a computer problem. Its only hard to swallow your pride the first time, after that it gets easier, Kids know this computer stuff intuitively.
1 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 pm

testing a link
Attachments
Greenhouse34.jpg
Greenhouse34.jpg (297.24 KiB) Viewed 68 times
2 x

Dangphool
Canada

Postby Dangphool » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

maybe i have figured this out...?
Attachments
Greenhouse3.jpg
Greenhouse3.jpg (235.12 KiB) Viewed 67 times
1 x

Return to “Ontario”