• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

Joe_O
Canada

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby Joe_O » Sun May 01, 2016 12:54 am

Roughly10 dozen cans of various canned goods the other day. 20 lbs of dry pasta. Came up with 5 old, old (higher quality) axe heads. Going to make some new handles for them all here in my woodworking shop. Getting ready to build a new 8 X 12 shed. Tear down an older one once that is built. Then a new Greenhouse in the fall.
1 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon May 30, 2016 4:46 pm

No jokes..please... ;) This is a new endeavor and I'm in complete noob/learning mode! Tomatoes, Watermelons, Peppers, lettuce, beans & the haning basket(unseen) is grape tomatoes.
We added a 10'x15' garden in the back yard. Aside from fighting some ant colonies I think we are off to an 'ok' start...knock on wood...
Attachments
gardne.jpg
gardne.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 513 times
1 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Mon May 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Good job, thecrownsown!
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 pm

thecrownsown wrote:No jokes..please... ;) This is a new endeavor and I'm in complete noob/learning mode! Tomatoes, Watermelons, Peppers, lettuce, beans & the haning basket(unseen) is grape tomatoes.
We added a 10'x15' garden in the back yard. Aside from fighting some ant colonies I think we are off to an 'ok' start...knock on wood...

Hi I am not laughing, good for you, but I do have a question, looking at the area you planted, where in there did you plant watermelons? are you planning on putting up a vertical climbing area for them to grow up and then supporting the fruits (assuming they are the small ones) or are you planning on taking down the one fence and running the plants into the lawn on the side.. because even a couple watermelon plants will fill your whole garden space and fight, crowd out all the other plants :)
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue May 31, 2016 6:30 pm

farmgal wrote:
thecrownsown wrote:No jokes..please... ;) This is a new endeavor and I'm in complete noob/learning mode! Tomatoes, Watermelons, Peppers, lettuce, beans & the haning basket(unseen) is grape tomatoes.

Hi I am not laughing, good for you, but I do have a question, looking at the area you planted, where in there did you plant watermelons? are you planning on putting up a vertical climbing area for them to grow up and then supporting the fruits (assuming they are the small ones) or are you planning on taking down the one fence and running the plants into the lawn on the side.. because even a couple watermelon plants will fill your whole garden space and fight, crowd out all the other plants :)

We have some vertical supports I was planning on using. The watermelons were started indoors about 6-8 weeks ago...so still kind of small and they are farthest away in the photo. Even the tomatoes (closest in the pic) are kind of small..started at the same time. We planted the watermelons at 2' on centres...I thought that would be far enough apart from eachother? It would give them room to grow in there own 2'x2' area...does that sound like trouble ahead for me? If I have to move them its easy enough now before the plants get to big. I'd be happy for any tips you think would make this better. I still have about 20 square feet unused in the garden plot I could spread them out...I dont want them growing past the fence as we have a serious rabbit issue in the neighbourhood.

Same with the tomatoes...when they got big enough we planned on putting the stakes in the ground for the vines to grow up.... Funny storey...I had no idea what I was doing when planting the seeds a couple months ago...just that I had to start tomatoes early. Thats all i was told. So I planted them all...almost 30 plants. Wife just laughed at me and I couldnt figure out why...then for the last couple of weeks I've been desperately trying to pawn off tomato plants on anyone I knew. :lol:
I'm down to a more reasonable number now...sort of. :)
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm slowly getting things planted: 10 new Serviceberries; 10 Highbush Cranberries today. Yesterday I got some of my veggie garden planted. When I was younger, I could get ALL this and more done in a day!
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 pm

I give my small watermelon plants six by six but that is without adding vertical, big melons get 4 by 4 hills and can run upwards of twelve feet.. if the melons are going on climbers, then yes 2 by 2 is just fine

your tomato plants need at least 2 by 2, I give even more space here at the farm..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

threestorms

Postby threestorms » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Ok this one is a bit different

we added 4 of these

Its for indoor fires - filters chemical substances and removes carbon monoxide and toxic gases for up to 5 minutes

I have it for the kids and us.

However i also have them in the car, they are small, light and about 5 inches in length. I can get them on way faster than a gas mask....or while we get our gas masks ready to get on.

I used a code to get 10% off FB10off not sure if it still works
http://mysafetyiq.com/
0 x

Grouchyprepper

Postby Grouchyprepper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 am

SANY0237.JPG
just incase
SANY0237.JPG (162.81 KiB) Viewed 201 times

EXP 2019
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 am

Grouchyprepper wrote:
SANY0237.JPG

EXP 2019

Would you care to let us know of your source? Expiry date is just a suggestion, I'm sure you're aware.
0 x

Return to “Ontario”