• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

Aries

What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby Aries » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:33 am

Post here your latest additions, food, water, ammo or gear for example, and hopefully you will help motivate the slackers by doing a little showing off! :D
0 x

Aries

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby Aries » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 am

I'll get the ball rolling.

So far since Christmas I have purchased

-10, 1kg bags of gnocchi.
-96 rolls of toilet paper (insane boxing day deal at walmart).
-120 band aids(reg. & sml).
-250 .22 cal pellets and 350 .177 cal pellets.
-6, N95 face masks.
-7 bottles of Tylenol cold and flu.
-Echinacea drops for boosted upper respiratory/immune system.
-8 large bags of pastas.
- multiple d, c and 9v batteries.
- 1 jar of peanut butter.
- bag of oats.
- 2 bottles of all purpose cleaner.
- spray bleach for quarantine set-up.
- Vicks cold/congestion rub.
- 16 bars of my choice soap.
- 6 pack of good quality disposable razors.
- 250 page note book to properly keep track of all supplies.
- 2012 calendar(keep track of days an events when tshtf).
- 10 bottles of juice.
-10 pkg box of hotties hand warmers.
- 20 L fuel can filled with $10 of diesel (similar to kerosene)
- 2 rodent traps.
- 2 containers of vitamin C chewables.
And I'm sure some canned veggies here and there.

Week isn't over yet so I'll be posting more!
0 x

Aries

Postby Aries » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:56 am

Ahh the night was young. Just went out and here's what I picked up

- 32 more rolls of toilet paper (still on sale at walmart)
- 8 packages of pasta
- 2, double packs of caribiners
- 1L of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 cans of corn
- 1 can of mixed veg.
- 1 can of diced potatoes
- 1 can of cut green beans
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of apple sauce
- 1 can of fruit cocktail
- 1 pkg of coffee whitener
- 1, 8 pack of assrtd combs
- 4 containers of salt
- 4 toothbrushes
- 1 hair brush
- 2 pkgs of hair elastics
- 1 pkg of brown sugar
- 1 vanilla extract
- 44 sponges
- 1 container of black pepper
- 1 muscle relief rub
- 1 Vaseline
- 100 pk of cotton balls
- 16 pocket sized snot rags
- 1 box of s.o.s scrubbing pads

And for fun, a new novel, many have probably read it, "World War Z".

Anyways that's all for this week more than likely. Hope everyone else is getting their preps in!
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:51 am

That's pretty ambitious.
All I managed was to pick up 1/2 a pig for the freezer and finish my last cold frame so we'll have collards and onions all winter. Some winter lettuce and spinach planted but I dunno if it will do much in the cold.
I did cheat a bit on Christmas(bought for me) and picked up some cheap cold weather clothes that were on sale. Insulated Gortex pants, pair of Prospector boots ($40!), mitts.
0 x

Dash

Postby Dash » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 pm

I baught two turkeys that were on sale, cooked them up yesterday and this morning canned them. With the bones, I made a soup stock, made turkey soup and canned them also. Also canned up split pea/ham soup with left over ham from Christmas(did that on boxing day) This gave me 32 large jars of food. Right now I'm dehydrating sweet potatoes.
0 x

Aries

Postby Aries » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 am

Dash wrote:I baught two turkeys that were on sale, cooked them up yesterday and this morning canned them. With the bones, I made a soup stock, made turkey soup and canned them also. Also canned up split pea/ham soup with left over ham from Christmas(did that on boxing day) This gave me 32 large jars of food. Right now I'm dehydrating sweet potatoes.

Hey I've heard a lot things (negative) about cannings meats, can you explain to me how you canned your turkey and what fluids do you use for canning? Oil or water? I know nothing of canning. Thank ya

Oh as well, with regards to dehydrating, I saw someone dehydrate rice one after cooking it, does that seen logical in any way? I mean, all you do is boil rice in water anyways...isn't it a waste of Vaccum bags? Couldn't you just leave it in the bag/bucket like normally???

Again, thanks
0 x

Mr. Momo

Postby Mr. Momo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 am

The difference between canning meats, versus most vegetables is that the acidity of pickling veggies and fuits usually allows you to simply do imersion canning. (Dunk in pot of boiling water) With meats this is not enough, because the lack of acidity can allow Clostridium botulinum bacteria to grow. This bacteria produces the toxin that causes botulism (botox) which is one of the most lethal poisons known. One contaminated bite and you'll likely die. So for meats (get a proper list from a good canning manual, they often come with the canners) you need to use a pressure cooker to make sure there is no chance of any botulinium surviving in your can of meats. Only combined heat and pressure can assure a clean canning.

I don't think there is any reason to shy away from canning meats. But you must follow the instructions exactly. So much pressure for so long depending on what you are canning.
0 x

Aries

Postby Aries » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 am

Mr. Momo wrote:The difference between canning meats, versus most vegetables is that the acidity of pickling veggies and fuits usually allows you to simply do imersion canning. (Dunk in pot of boiling water) With meats this is not enough, because the lack of acidity can allow Clostridium botulinum bacteria to grow. This bacteria produces the toxin that causes botulism (botox) which is one of the most lethal poisons known. One contaminated bite and you'll likely die. So for meats (get a proper list from a good canning manual, they often come with the canners) you need to use a pressure cooker to make sure there is no chance of any botulinium surviving in your can of meats. Only combined heat and pressure can assure a clean canning.

I don't think there is any reason to shy away from canning meats. But you must follow the instructions exactly. So much pressure for so long depending on what you are canning.

My girlfriend and I discussed botulism, I asked if you can cook it off and she said no, so given that, if I had an expanded can say during an shtf situation that I had to eat, could I "after the fact" use a pressure cooker and proper heat to kill botulism? By this I mean even if I can improperly can I still kill it later?
0 x

Dash

Postby Dash » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 am

Aries wrote:
Dash wrote:I baught two turkeys that were on sale, cooked them up yesterday and this morning canned them. With the bones, I made a soup stock, made turkey soup and canned them also. Also canned up split pea/ham soup with left over ham from Christmas(did that on boxing day) This gave me 32 large jars of food. Right now I'm dehydrating sweet potatoes.

Hey I've heard a lot things (negative) about cannings meats, can you explain to me how you canned your turkey and what fluids do you use for canning? Oil or water? I know nothing of canning. Thank ya

Oh as well, with regards to dehydrating, I saw someone dehydrate rice one after cooking it, does that seen logical in any way? I mean, all you do is boil rice in water anyways...isn't it a waste of Vaccum bags? Couldn't you just leave it in the bag/bucket like normally???

Again, thanks

I think a lot of people are scared of the idea of canning meat, but it's the same as eating a can of ham, chicken from the store if done right. A good book to read it Bernardin, complete book of home preserving. I use a pressure canner, with 10lbs of pressur for my area. When I can cooked meat I fill the mason jar with the meat, then add water or stock with a teaspoon of salt...called the hot method, the liquid is also hot. Then I pressure can it for 70 minutes. Raw packed, raw meat in the jar with cold water or stock...teaspoon of salt and pressure can it for 90 minutes. I process the jars..wash, sterilize, heat the rims..etc..just like you would "pickle" tomatoe, jam, fruit..etc. When you can meat or potatoes, beans, you have to use a pressure canner or you wil have botulism. I have eaten canned meat that was 5 years old and it was great! You will always know if the canned meat is spolied, the lid will pop or there will be bubbles in the jar or a smell, just the same with the jams, pickles you process. There are some really good videos on youtube regarding "canning" if you have anymore questions, I will be happy to answer, Ive been canning meat for some years now.

I would never dehydrate rice, unless it was in a meal, like beef stew, I have done pasta with tomato sauce and even chicken soup, these are good items to have in your MRE's.
0 x

Dash

Postby Dash » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 am

Aries wrote:
Mr. Momo wrote:The difference between canning meats, versus most vegetables is that the acidity of pickling veggies and fuits usually allows you to simply do imersion canning. (Dunk in pot of boiling water) With meats this is not enough, because the lack of acidity can allow Clostridium botulinum bacteria to grow. This bacteria produces the toxin that causes botulism (botox) which is one of the most lethal poisons known. One contaminated bite and you'll likely die. So for meats (get a proper list from a good canning manual, they often come with the canners) you need to use a pressure cooker to make sure there is no chance of any botulinium surviving in your can of meats. Only combined heat and pressure can assure a clean canning.

My girlfriend and I discussed botulism, I asked if you can cook it off and she said no, so given that, if I had an expanded can say during an shtf situation that I had to eat, could I "after the fact" use a pressure cooker and proper heat to kill botulism? By this I mean even if I can improperly can I still kill it later?

Never eat canned meat, fruit, juice etc that have a dent, or bulging in the can-store baught or your own, that's a give away that the food inside has spoiled, you can never cook that of. Even if the sell by date has expired, it does not mean the food inside the can has spoiled. Some will last another 6 months or longer after the "eat by date" always remember, check the can for dents..smell the food.
0 x

Return to “Ontario”