• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

Lewis
Canada

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby Lewis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Geoste wrote:Been a while since I was here last and posted. Been busy acquiring gun license, hunting license, and "prepping" for hunting.

Having a hunting "day bag" is very similar in scope to having a bug-out bag, in that if one is serious about being able to handle getting lost in the wild, the overlap on what you need is pretty much 100%.

So that's what I have been doing: taking stock of what's in my large capacity pack (not a day bag), and realizing I need a pulk (sled) if I am going to be able to handle having a campsite (aka base camp) and another bag as a 3 day bag/hunting bag.

Also, I need to plan a way to store ammo as I live in an apartment and space is very limited. I want to be able to lock up my ammo in container(s) totally separate from the actual guns.

I seriously need to get back into prepping as I realized that I had used some of my preps and need to replace those, as well as continue finishing my shopping list that I had before.

So, as for actual adds:

-a few weapons and ammo for such
-camo clothing: jacket, hiking shoes, face covering, pants
-a couple ammo containers, one of which is for home storage (the other for travel to the range)

For home ammo storage I'm a big fan of filing cabinets. I have 2 that are about 3'x3'x18" deep.. I keep them in my garage, they lock, hold a ton of stuff and a nice flat surface to work on as well..

I know you said your in an apartment, but it could be scaled down all the same.

For portable travel I build big wooden crates. Like the old military ammo crates but to whatever size I need. I use rough cut 1" thick pine to keep the weight down.

The last one I built was 4'x2'x1' deepened weights about 12lbs empty. Strongoing and surcure, yet portable
1 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Picked this up yesterday...
HPIM2657s.JPG
HPIM2657s.JPG (93.11 KiB) Viewed 236 times
4 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Looks like an interesting book. Will you give us a review, some time soon? I trust your judgement, Denob; so if you give it the thumbs up, I will order a copy! Thanks.
1 x

Dragonwriter
Canada

Postby Dragonwriter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Been very busy the past couple of weeks! Here's what we've added to our preps:
- 3 more large bags of pasta
- 1 case of canned tomatoes
- 4 more tins of tuna (after using two that needed to be rotated through/aka, eaten)
- 5kilo bag of sugar
- another set of metal shelves for preps
- more mothballs
- catnip seeds (apparently the catnip plants repel rodents?)
- my seed order for this year's garden
- 1-gallon jug of dish soap
- 6 large cans of coffee
- and we've tested 2 different types of Mountain House entrees so we know what we'll eat in the #10 cans!
0 x
“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
[i]Stephen King[/i]

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 am

Dragonwriter wrote:- catnip seeds (apparently the catnip plants repel rodents?)

Or maybe just attract the cats that do? :lol:
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Picked up and been putting a Kindle Cracker though its paces.. both here on the farm and loaned it out for a week to get kinds of use by children, Teens and adults..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:22 pm

A couple packs of Aquatabs
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 am

Well, this is not a "prep" per se, but prepper fiction. I just finished reading The Final Day by William Forstchen. I don't usually buy books new or hardcover, but I made an exception for this book. This is the 3rd in the series, that started with One Second After and continued with One Year After. Wow. Good final book, even if it was less survivalist and more military-focussed.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks, HopeImReady.
I really enjoyed One Second After, and One Year After, and am currently out of anything good to read, except for hubbies hard core SF stuff. I will definitely source out a copy for My library.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Kootenay kid, if you like those books, then check out The Going Home series by "A American".
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Ontario”