• Advertisement

What have you added to your preps this week?

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: What have you added to your preps this week?

Postby helicopilot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 am

ShadyMapleTree wrote:I'm just getting started with my preps. This week I've added seven tins of canned food, mainly Campbell's Chunky soups, Stagg chili and beans.

My preps aren't aimed at creating a vast stash of backup supplies, just 14 days of food and water if a disaster or other major event forces me to shelter-in-place, or causes disruptions to the food supply chain.

This weekend I'll head out to buy a few flats of bottled water. Slow and steady wins the race.

That is exactly how it should be (in my opinion!). Too many people become obsessed...
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:39 am

Busy with work and the garden these days. Will likely pickle 20+ pounds of beets over the next couple of days, trying different brine recipes. Ordered a 23L pressure canner from Amazon so can't wait to see how this will work out. Re-stocked my medical supplies after my wife and I's surgeries over the last year and added a few more different kinds of dressings and bandages; I now have a large plastic tote nearly full.

I'm shopping for a 3rd large rain water container (caged ~ 1000L plastic tank) for the acreage. I'm not in a rush, but if I see one coming up in the local area, I'll go get it.

Seabucktorn berries should be ready soon!!
0 x

Grouchyprepper
Canada

Postby Grouchyprepper » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:08 pm

refilled 33 small propane bottles using this little brass adapter you see on the one bottle.
picked up empty bottles while camping at an Ontario park. Save big bucks
Attachments
SANY03621.jpg
SANY03621.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 157 times
4 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Did the garage sale thing this weekend and picked up:
set of Coleman rechargeable power tools (drill, light, circular saw, reciprocating saw, charger and 2 batteries)
2 books...Growing & Using the Healing Herbs and The doctors Book of Home Renedies
along with various other cookbooks.
1 x

scrounger

Postby scrounger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Awesome on the propane GP!

Denob, as much as I enjoy online reading there will always be a place for books in my house. Lots of good deals out there as some move away from them.
1 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Well, I took a canning workshop last week. I knew how to can but hadn't actually done it -and I did not have the humongous pot. All my food preservation to date had been dehydrating, quick pickling, salting and waxing (cheese). I bought a kit (it was cheaper than all the various parts). Yesterday I volunteered at a big grape pick (a gleaning org that also helps the food bank), so I had 6 lbs of grapes. So, yesterday & today I canned Hot Pickle Mix, Pickled Onions, Basil Habanaro Jelly, Grape Vanilla Jam and Grape Basil Rosemary Jam :)
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Good job HIR!
Last weekend, I attended my favourite Book Fair and got a couple dozen books for $7. Some recreational reading and some awesome 'hands-on' books.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Grouchyprepper wrote:refilled 33 small propane bottles using this little brass adapter you see on the one bottle.
picked up empty bottles while camping at an Ontario park. Save big bucks

Can you share where you got the adapter? And how do you refill them? Where? This could save a tonne of money. I'd get one of those adapters in a heartbeat!
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

HopeImReady wrote:Well, I took a canning workshop last week. I knew how to can but hadn't actually done it -and I did not have the humongous pot. All my food preservation to date had been dehydrating, quick pickling, salting and waxing (cheese). I bought a kit (it was cheaper than all the various parts). Yesterday I volunteered at a big grape pick (a gleaning org that also helps the food bank), so I had 6 lbs of grapes. So, yesterday & today I canned Hot Pickle Mix, Pickled Onions, Basil Habanaro Jelly, Grape Vanilla Jam and Grape Basil Rosemary Jam :)

Awesome! We started canning last year for the first time!

so far this year, we've canned hot pickled green tomatoes, zuccini, and beans! More to come as the season progresses.

Also, Ive found several large mature apple trees on trails near where I live. Ive been watching closely, and later in September plan to raid them! I think they are sweet delicious...but not 100% sure yet. can't believe the number just growing there....untended too...literally wild!
1 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Grouchyprepper
Canada

Postby Grouchyprepper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Hope this helps thecrownsown

Adapters are all over ebay for sale
here is a link to the first one I seen there today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICE-FISHING-Too ... SwtS1ZnFm4

here is a link to a short vid on how to refill the tanks (lots of vids on this on youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4NcpBU96Y

I weight each tank after filling trying to fill them at 835 grams total weight. (factory weight)
Empty tanks is about 370 grams.
I have used tanks that have been over filled by 100 grams. Its a learning curve of when the tank is full.
If tank was removed early I just put it back on to top up.

hope this helps.
1 x

Return to “Ontario”