• Advertisement

Where to bug out/ Community

sbasacco

Where to bug out/ Community

Postby sbasacco » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 am

Hello Everyone,

I have been on this site for awhile now, and I have noticed that apart from the awesome information that individuals provide us about various topics and I must admit, I have learned a ton on this site, that for the most part, people are resound on working on their own if shtf. I dont see that sense of community that I believe would be beneficial in the long term survival of our ways. I understand that here in Canada, we obviously live under a completely different set of rules. I believe that yes we have problems here that are unique to Canada, that we are better off than most of our counterparts not to point anyone out as to offend.

I am looking personally for a small group of people interested in learning together. Joining a community garden maybe to learn about farming, looking to learn new skills, and to just get out and do things like we used to do as kids. Somewhere I believe that we have lost this with our Xbox's and our PS3's of the world. I am looking for 4 people to start, that is interested in say learning how to garden, has a plot of land to share and are looking to combine efforts and help each other out if shtf ever. This number will grow as the group wills it.

Is there anyone with like interest in this? I am not talking about meeting every month. I am talking about doing.

If there is any interest in something like this, Private message me as to protect our privacy.

I look forward to hearing from you.
0 x

ICRCC

Re: Where to bug out/ Community

Postby ICRCC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Truly a worthwhile Endeavour. One problem that you might encounter is 'prepper density'. By that I mean the number of preppers in your immediate area. Also not all preppers frequent this site. Add to that the number of how many of them would be interested in this project then add in availability because of work schedules etc. and you might be looking at very few possibilities.

If your prepper centric approach to community gardening comes up short for participants do not despair. There will be a number of people in your area, no matter where you live, that will be interested in the concept of community gardening. So target this group with approaches like flyers on bulletin boards in local malls or blurbs on the local community website. Once you have a few interested parties you will be set to go. If you do not have a plot of land that you can use the newly form group should approach your municipality. Many are keen to promote this kind of community involvement and you will be surprised at how accommodating they may be.

Once you get started you might find an unintended bonus in that some of the people involved already have some gardening experience and are more than willing to share their knowledge. They may not be preppers but they will have the same interest in home grown produce. Also it gives you a group of somewhat like minded people to work with. At the very least you will be developing and spreading the very knowledge and skills that are basic to the concept of being prepared.
0 x

sbasacco

Postby sbasacco » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 pm

as always ICRCC...good advice, thank you.
0 x

OurPlaceBFN

Postby OurPlaceBFN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 am

You are not alone sbasacco but speaking for myself I am leary of sharing my thoughts, ideas, skills, opinions and so on. In my past my so called friends have proven they are not truly friends when push comes to shove. My reall friends are my immediate familly. Also when the SHTF do I really want to share 5 years worth of supplies knowing the sharing will make the supplies last only 1 year? Trust is a big part of why I am keeping at a distance but at the sametime I would truly love to help my fellow Human Being. I would hate to say No to anyone because as a true Canadian I believe in community and helping each other. But again where do you draw the line. If you say yes to one why are you saying no to everyone else? If I get to know you, and we prove to each other that we think alike, we prep alike and we have the same goals in mind then sure lets build on the community spirit. Friendship however takes time to develop, gain respect and trust for our opinions and differences. So maybe for me just keeping to myself is easier and safer in my world. No I am not a cynic and I don't mind sharing here as it is Anonymous.
0 x
Just my rant...thanks for listening/reading

Proud prepping Canadian...Beh Wii Eh?

sbasacco

Postby sbasacco » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 am

I agree with what you are saying hence the starting point... A community garden project. A great way to get to know each other and to cement a relationship if its gonna happen. This is just a starting point. I agree as well that family is the best community, but there are obvious issues with that as well. Family infighting, issues that are there with family that wouldnt be there with outsiders.

My first step is to throw the olive branch, make the first move...Community Garden

Then we can go from there.
0 x

OurPlaceBFN

Postby OurPlaceBFN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 pm

I caught your olive branch...now keep in touch and lets get to know each other. By the way Rule number one is I am always right, rule number two is if I am ever found wrong, refer to rule number one lol
0 x
Just my rant...thanks for listening/reading

Proud prepping Canadian...Beh Wii Eh?

blueflash

Postby blueflash » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 am

I am in southern ontario, and would be interested if people were like minded, and brought similar assets that I would bring to a group....without going into great detail, if shtf tomorrow I would be ready. I would like other members to be at a similar level of preparedness, or atleast bring skills to a group that are a asset. Something like forming a group that can be depended apon would take a little bit of time, by getting to know each other.
0 x

DvntMstr

Postby DvntMstr » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Whenever people say they are ready l immediately think *BS* and especially if they are looking for others to join with them.

Lets be realistic, unlike our neighbours to the south who think they can survive armageddon with just a cache of mre's and a truckload of firepower we have the advantage of knowing it takes more than that. The fact you're looking for others shows you realize it too. The lone wolf mentality will simply result in starvation or psychosis in most cases.

The only way any of us have a reasonable chance of survival - depending of course on what SHTF - is by having others to help you. Unfotunately too many people have different ideas regarding whats coming and the best way to prepare/survive which makes establishing a group so difficult. And even in your introduction to this topic you limit the level of prepper you'd admit.

Personally l would welcome anyone who was at least aware and willing to be an active helper, regardless of their current preparation level. Everyone has something to add to the dynamic - even if they just started prepping last week. l have looked for years for people who shared my ideas/plans/worries to no avail - so l still prep alone, but l know if its anything apocolyptic - lm screwed lol. Sure l have preps, sure l have skills, sure l have plans - - - but l cant do everything and l sure cant do it alone.

People who think they can bunker down in their urban or even suburban homes and ride it out - well for their sake l hope its nothing major because l can see our cities deteriorating rapidly if its anything major - but l wish them the best of luck. Those who think they will just pack up and run into the woods will probably fare far worse.

So where does that leave us ? Without grouping together most cant afford property to bug out to now (if their occupation allowed it) or even hold "just in case", and even if they could do they have the skills to clear it, build a house, establish a garden, tend livestock, etc etc etc or have the funds to do what needs to be done ? We need others to pool resources and skills.

The truth is (in my opinion) if we arent able to find like minded people and establish a workable plan and get it in action pre-SHTF l fear it will be too late for most of us to do much besides try and carry on til our preps run out. So if you still think youre ready, good for you and l wish you luck with that.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:50 am

Good post DvntMstr you have a realistic grasp of the situation. You did however offer solutions for that particular predicament. Networking will offer a solution now. Otherwise given enough time you might eventually get to where you want to be. If you get a location in the future after much work and investment you will be able to take others onboard. Networking works the more effort you put in the greater the potential rewards.
0 x

blueflash

Postby blueflash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 am

Again, without going into great detail...I know if shtf tomorrow, I am well situated here in my rural home. Sure, I can't deal with a nuke or football field sized meteor landed in my back field, but I am prepared tomorrow if shtf from a result of a more realistic senario. Obviously, I have a wood heated home, with more than adequate storages of food, water, firearms, ammo, etc...but, just because I am fairly set if shtf, there is always ways to improve. Forming a group would increase the odds of survival....but as many people have said before, I would'nt want my families food supply to run short as a result of grouping up with people that are'nt at a similar level of preparedness....And I also would'nt want to be lending firearms to people that did'nt have the proper skills to use them.

I may sound a bit reserved, and selfish, but I would be interested in the possibility of grouping up, if possible members were bringing similar assets to the table. Otherwise, it puts my families safety at risk....A group would need some time to build trust & shared knowledge of similar end goals that are mutually beneficial...and above all, people in a group must get along pretty good, including all family members that are part of it. It takes quite a few things to work out right, for a group to work together and succeed.

Apologies if I sound a bit too straight foward, and if I was needing to depend on others more than I currently do, then I would likely have a different point of view and call "B.S" also, if things sounded to good to be true.

With all that said, if like minded folks, who are fairly prepared to join a group, I would be interested in meeting up....Ive invited guys out to my gun range before, to shoot for a afternoon, and let people take a ride with a couple of my handguns, and assault rifles, because its a good way to meet other guys....but If you want to shoot alot, then bring your own ammo, because 500 rounds of 9mm or half a crate of 308 (7.62x51), or 7.62x39 goes by pretty quickly when a few guys are training together for different shooting senarios....lol
0 x

Return to “Ontario”