• Advertisement

Northern Living?

RachelM
Canada

Northern Living?

Postby RachelM » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 am

Hi all,

I'm considering buying some land up north for my dream hobby farm/homestead. There's a lot of crown land for sale for some very reasonable prices, with large acreages. The area I'm focusing in on is Black River-Matheson. Can anybody share their experiences with northern living? I have some working experience in a northern Lodge business, but not much year-round. While land is very cheap, my main concerns are the cost of building a home. I do know that unorganized townships usually mean you don't need building permits, but I want to have professionals construct the house, as I am no where near skilled enough. I can manage livestock buildings and such with family health though. Any help is appreciated!

Rachel
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Re: Northern Living?

Postby Perfesser » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:41 am

I don't know the area but on the map it looks pretty far North and at the same time pretty far from the moderating effects of the Great Lakes so climate might make farming a tough go.
On the other hand it looks like plenty have made it work there but you would probably have to pay special attention to extending your growing season.
0 x

prepperpie

Postby prepperpie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

I worked up past Moosonee for a year and a half a decade ago. Winters got very cold and windy. Frost bite in less that 5 minutes warnings were common. You will be South of where I was but heating will be a big cost.
Consider getting a property on a paved road if possible. Driving on poorly maintained dirt roads sucks. If you are going to chose a property on an out of the way road ask potential neighbors how often the road gets plowed.

I would make a point of going into the local stores in your area. They may not have the items that you are expecting. Grocery stores and hardware stores sell seeds in Sothern Ontario. I don’t recall seeing any seeds for sale where I was. If the stores are great where you live then it’s easy research. If it’s not then you will know what is available up there you can bring up harder to find supplies when you move. This will be more important if homesteading / farming aren’t popular up there. Then the stores will not stock the specialty products that make starting up homestead easier. Catalog shopping is an option as is driving hours to find a store that sells specialty items. Bulky items such as hoes carry an extra shipping charge. Corn cribbing in great for a chicken coup but shipping costs would be scary.

Also look into where you are going to get your animals and feed. (I have heard that day old chicks can be mailed to you.)

The grocery store where I was had two amazing junk food aisles but limited fruit selection. Fresh fruit and veggies became more of a luxury item.

I only heard of one farmer in the area and he grew potatoes. One of my co-workers had a small garden and was able to do grow some cold crops. I would imagine that having a greenhouse will be a necessity, preferably one with a heat source. (I was looking into the greenhouse / rocket heater workshop in Drayton but can’t go.
http://www.rocketmassheater.ca/index.ph ... borough-on )

Hope this helps.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:01 pm

growing season will be alot shorter and you might find too far north too much of a challenge getting supplies
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 am

Hi Rachel, If you change your mind/location, we still have lots of room , so far....still not sold, but getting close.
0 x

mikofeil

Postby mikofeil » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:26 am

that is a good stove
0 x

Protector

Postby Protector » Sat May 13, 2017 2:20 am

Look up my recent posts about our situation near the 49th parallel
0 x

Dragonwriter
Canada

Postby Dragonwriter » Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I live north of Sault Ste. Marie, and I can give you some insight based on my experiences.

Winters are unpredictable. Some years are okay with tolerable temps but wicked snow dumpings. Last year we had one or two nights of -30 but 5' deep snow. and that's not even where the snow got piled! Year before, we had not too much snow but multiple nights with -40 degrees. You want to have a snow removal plan, and then a backup in case plan A fails or breaks down. You want to do the same for heat. ALWAYS have a backup plan for heat. If you decide to go with an oil furnace, allow me to share a hard lesson I learned -- always keep the exhaust from said furnace clear of ice and snow. Also, get a CO2 detector. Not only are they the law now I think, but better to be safe than mourning a death in the family, or even losing your own life.

Seeds can be purchased in many, many stores up here. If you prefer catalogues, I get all mine from Heritage Harvest Seed. She lives in and runs her business from Manitoba, in an area that gets as cold as mine. If her seeds will grow successfully for her, they will for me. I have never had a problem with either service, delivery or product.
www.heritageharvestseed.com

If I think of more, I'll post again.

If you have more questions, don't be shy. It would be a shame to waste the experiences of others.
0 x
“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
[i]Stephen King[/i]

Return to “Ontario”