Re: Eastern Ontario Get together - Aug 10th Larose Forest

Postby Adagio » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Either would be fine with me.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I would love to learn more about food preserving...
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I am still contemplating the name Larose Forest...as it is in the south, it can't be too big, yet it has a name....cool! We have millions of acres of trees up here and folks just call it the Boreal Forest...not the same is it? No one likely even knows where it starts and finishes...makes me want to claim a spot up here and call it "Knuckle's Forest"... sorta like that Irish dude in the movie Braveheart, where he says Ireland is "My Island". :lol:
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:42 pm

The forest has name in part because its a manmade forest..

Larose Forest

The history of the Larose Forest begins in 1928 when agronomist, Ferdinand Larose, establishes the first conifer planting on farmlands that had been abandoned near Bourget. Since then, over 18 million trees have been planted.

Today, the Larose Forest is one of the largest man-made forest in Canada. We owe it to this visionary agronomist from whom it takes its name.

Ferdinand Larose is hired by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture shortly after graduating from the Agriculture Institute of Oka, in 1918. He is assigned in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell. His first task is to make an inventory of the farmlands.

He soon notices soil erosion, stimulated by forestry harvesting, forest fires and farming. Between the villages of Casselman, Bourget and Limoges, farmers abandon sandy lands, surrendering to the growth of the “Bourget desert”. Ferdinand Larose then suggests reforesting the area to avoid erosion expansion.

:)
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 am

I did not know that. It certainly doesn't look or feel man-made.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:57 pm

farmgal wrote:The forest has name in part because its a manmade forest..

Larose Forest

The history of the Larose Forest begins in 1928 when agronomist, Ferdinand Larose, establishes the first conifer planting on farmlands that had been abandoned near Bourget. Since then, over 18 million trees have been planted.

Today, the Larose Forest is one of the largest man-made forest in Canada. We owe it to this visionary agronomist from whom it takes its name.

Ferdinand Larose is hired by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture shortly after graduating from the Agriculture Institute of Oka, in 1918. He is assigned in the United Counties of Prescott and Russell. His first task is to make an inventory of the farmlands.

He soon notices soil erosion, stimulated by forestry harvesting, forest fires and farming. Between the villages of Casselman, Bourget and Limoges, farmers abandon sandy lands, surrendering to the growth of the “Bourget desert”. Ferdinand Larose then suggests reforesting the area to avoid erosion expansion.

:)

Dang, that means I have to get off my butt first and do something... :lol:

It is good to know that he was intelligent enough to foresee and react in time to prevent further erosion. I know they did the same over much of the prairies, but only after alot of damage already occurred. I really just wanted folks to visualize the Irish dude again when he said "my island" :D . Seems folks don't get to ever know others eventually name something after them in recognition of their efforts until they have died....just another folly of mankind I guess. But it is good to know that someone makes note of how things acquired their name.

We should likely call this one up here God's Forest cause I think it was already here when man stumbled onto the scene.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello folks, This a bump and a heads up, broke my foot and its in a air cast, I am moving slow, not cancelling, but anyone interested in being copilet in case I can't stay for the whole day. if so pm me..
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi Farmgal, I can help...I am a newbie but if one or 2 others stepped up also, we could make it work. Let me know what's involved...
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 pm

What time are we starting?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Starting at ten am, pot luck right around noon and will run till 3 to 4pm, depending on the folks that are there..
0 x

Return to “Ontario”