• Advertisement

Eastern Ontario Get together - Aug 10th Larose Forest

Plain Jane

Re: Eastern Ontario Get together - Aug 10th Larose Forest

Postby Plain Jane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Adagio wrote:Christmas came early this year.

:lol: Yep!
0 x
Ya know.. 'cause girls need paracord too!

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm

You must of been a good girl. Santa is making me wait.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Denob wrote:This is a VERY far cry from the 2200 mah capacity of the Waka Waka Power!!!
This would be more like it...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dual-USB-20000MAh-External-Battery-Charger-Solar-Power-Bank-Pack-Charger-/121334922744?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&var=&hash=item1c401ffdf8

Thanks for looking into this, Denob. This is a lot better price, even without the cool name :)

Question about ordering/shipping..
-I have read conflicting info about whether you can turn on the Baofeng legally without (yet) having a Ham license - you mentioned you can listen in but not transmit, but the FAQ for RAC says you can buy one but not "operate" it: https://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/reg ... ng.php..do you know what the deal is with this?
-if you order the Baofeng online via ebay from China, the specs say it comes with a Li-Ion battery pack. If Canada Post does not allow import of these, does this mean they won't allow import of the radio either?

Plain Jane, where did your husband buy yours? I am jealous :)
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Plain Jane

Postby Plain Jane » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 pm

I bought it the same place Denob suggested on ebay. It came fast and with the Li Ion battery :D We've been trying to figure out how to program channels and are following Denob's link to getting started with it!! It's so cool AND it came with a free ear piece! Stealthy!! LOL :D
0 x
Ya know.. 'cause girls need paracord too!

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 pm

I bought the solar charger (the Chinese one, not the Waka Waka one), and I have been using it for a while. I found it works well and charges up quickly. I put it on an inside window sill in the sun, and it is charged a few hours later. It charges my cell phone quickly. The only caveat is that it self-discharges quickly, so if you charge it fully then wait a week to charge your phone/radio/whatever, there isn't much charge remaining. So I would suggest to charge during the day, then use it to charge up your device that evening.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ottawa613
Canada

Postby ottawa613 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

There was limited time to chat about it at the Larose meetup, but programming with CHIRP works well for me. You order the cable from one of the Chinese online sites, and then download the program off the net.

It is easy to program a Baofeng with CHIRP.
0 x
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fail, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Return to “Ontario”