• Advertisement

***Looking to start a like minded community***

lili

Re: ***Looking to start a like minded community***

Postby lili » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:33 am

HI everyone,

Could you explain what you mean by liked minded community please.

Values, politic ideology, what kind of mind set, people preparing for a big winter storm is not the same people preparing for a socio economic collapse etc....

That's for sure like James Wesley Rawles said , we cannot"t be alone.

Thanks
Last edited by lili on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 am

Hi Lili
The idea of having some where to go is very appealing. In the years to come things can only get worse in my opinion. Although the gov. would have us believe all is well by showing glowing monthly employment and housing reports if you go to any med to large city and see how many men , women and children are at food banks, soup kitchens and living on the streets. Its not just the unemployed in some cases it is two income families that chose between food or shelter for them and their children. The idea of a small community like you are trying to start is great idea and if I lived close enough I would be first in line. The sharing of community to be set up as the group sees fit. The availability of group purchase power say buying a bulk ton of wheat, or several lifts of 2x4s for a savings. Group security systems set up by people in the group who have military electronic and computer knowledge all priceless. The group experience is also priceless just for example here is me
Mule Skinner
14 years military
4 years infantry
10 years cook
8 years long haul cooking
bought trained and sold horse
raised chickens for eggs and meat
raised rabbits goats and pigs for meat
grown my own vegge garden 9 I have a black thumb of death not my thing
do canning
do dehydration
hunt snare and trap for food and fur
process all my own meat except sausage
process hides and tan leather
Work with leather making belts pouchs and do saddle repair
I make my own soap
I make my own Mres
I have a pandemic kit
I have a radiation shower system
I have a lake across the road and the ability to purify large amounts of water
I have a big 4 wheel drive truck and quad with trailer
I have a food supply
I have radios and electronics
I am only one person and once you have a group of people together imagine what you could do. It is finding the people and a group that can trust each other
that's the rub. Most preppers are secretive solitary folks preferring to stick only to peeps they have known for years or family. All the best to you and your search
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

Chum

Postby Chum » Tue May 05, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi there,

I would be interested in meeting to discuss in person. I am in the K-W area.
0 x

Gatherer

Postby Gatherer » Mon May 11, 2015 6:04 am

I have seen various posts regarding creating "prepared" communities but are there any that have actually been going strong for at least 10 years? Would love to read more.
0 x
Toronto, Ontario

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Gatherer wrote:I have seen various posts regarding creating "prepared" communities but are there any that have actually been going strong for at least 10 years? Would love to read more.

There are a few, and most would not want to be referenced in a forum like this. Also, most started out as alternative community first, some with a religious commonality, others with primarily ideological requisites....and not prepared materially to the extent we are considering in the last several years. For most, financial affordability has been a challenge.
Currently, for those who are "gainfully employed" in the prevalent "system" or have accumulated $ already, it is the best time IMO, to invest one's efforts into a wholistic living scenario while $ still has relative value...not just because of physical preparedness, but as a renewing way of living..more simply, but still socially engaged. There are many implications to this renewed pioneering, including selfsustainability as a cohesive unit, and there are learning curves which some solo proponents don't have to, or want to, face. Sooner or later, those skillsets will be required anywhere.
Collective wisdom...a dynamic thing.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm

villager wrote:
Gatherer wrote:I have seen various posts regarding creating "prepared" communities but are there any that have actually been going strong for at least 10 years? Would love to read more.

For most, financial affordability has been a challenge.
Currently, for those who are "gainfully employed" in the prevalent "system" or have accumulated $ already, it is the best time IMO, to invest one's efforts into a wholistic living scenario while $ still has relative value...not just because of physical preparedness, but as a renewing way of living..more simply, but still socially engaged. .

Wasnt there talk of some people paying who could afford it, and others not who couldnt? And designed as a co op where no one actually owned there parcel of land they just bought rights to live on it. It would be a life lived with a group consensus on what you could and couldnt do. The rights to a couple acres of land was only a few grand or so which looked very tempting initially... What scared me away was 1) what kind of people do you end up in the "community" who cant afford a few grand to start and why should they not have to pay when I would have to. 2)Why do they get to say what I can and cant do on my parcel and why would they even care. 3)To many rules and regs in the initial by laws for that libertarian streak in most preppers.

I think this concept has promise...but it needs to be tweaked.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks for your view on this , thecrownsown.
Partially true on most points... I'll tweak those so the context is more accurate, rather than reply with blanket statements....and there is much more relevant detail than is here.

As with many perspectives possible, yes there was also talk of trying to accommodate those with less $ than others ...(which reflects the predominant status/trend of the day....never mind the "1%" comparisons)
Those with more $ were/are willing to front their $ with greater risk which would be offset by a compensatory schedule of value agreed to by those who had less $. This is still do-able by our formula if/when there are sufficient willing folks on either side to represent the needed amount. The key is that all would be willing to do this, not compelled. Everyone pays, not necessarily all upfront, not necessarily in $. Free enterprise in action, with signed, agreed-to consequences in the event of default.
These plots are lifelong, inheritable, sellable leases of designated areas determined by eco-criteria, the rest of the unoccupied commons being shared by all, used collaboratively, also eco-wise, within the parameters of the invitation.

On the other hand, since there are still not enough who get this or don't trust the highest in each other, we are also working on a crowdfunding campaign with exposure to thousands more...around 100 of whose equal "buyin" would make the previous scenario unnecessary. So, it remains : whichever comes first , to enable land acquisition and primary development.
In the process of the dialog , we get to see some of what moves each other to form opinions, perspectives , dealbreakers, creative possibilities , etc.

First, the invitation is primarily to those who espouse progressive eco-values and criteria along the way towards preparedness . These constitute much of the "rules" upheld by the consensus process . Of course such people would care whether their neighbors are knowingly, or unwittingly, polluting the common land/water of which they are all signatory co-owners. Some don't want to discuss this because it implies change in lifestyle, but by doing so, they may be impinging on someone else's liberty . There can often be what is called "willful ignorance".
The same is true for concern of well-being for everyone upfront,...that abuse of any kind is proportionately addressed in by-laws.
If/when any bylaw or parameter may be perceived to be unnecessary or dysfunctional, it can be called for consensual change. That is not inconsistency. It is selfgovernance, or direct demo cracy.... not democrazy , as has been the case.
This scenario is not for everyone, but for those who prefer to challenge the status quo in themselves and not just "settle" in terms of creative living.
Everyone chooses with their 2 feet.
1 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Tue May 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for the additional info. and I apologize for a couple items as it appears I was mistaken on the facts and didn't understand the specifics correctly. Best of luck with this. I want to see it succeed.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm

And thank you for your ongoing supportive posture! We'll see likely by summer's end whether it happens for real.
It's good in any case to clarify points which you raised and which might represent others' concerns.
cheers..
0 x

keepin it together

Postby keepin it together » Tue May 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Like minded community, or at least a few like minded people. : ), to share ideas at least. Forum is great and I'm glad I've found this site but it'd be really nice to be able to discuss ideas in person with some others. Obviously driving halfway across the big ole province of Ontario isn't somethin I would relish but if anyone is in the Kingston area or Kingston, Belleville, Napenee area that'd be great. I myself have 30 acres north of Kingston. Driving an hour or so after chatting a bit so everyone feels comfortable and ok would be great. I have a fairly good start (I like to think anyway) cabin, fenced pastures, well, off grid, garden, poultry, lakes close by. Is there more I'd like to do, absolutely. Many ideas and I'm sure others could help give me new perspective on ideas I haven't thought of. Anyway I'll look into finding out (I'm a new member on the site) if we're allowed to post our e-mail so people could contact. I'm not sure if that's ok. I certainly don't want to get banned from my lack of knowing so for now I'll just throw idea's and questions with hopes of replies on the forum for all to read. Maybe others have similar questions and others have the answers. Helping each other out is what's gonna get us through if any type of SHTF event takes place. Watching the daily news events lately it doesn't seem so much if as more of a when. Take care an keep it together : )
0 x

Return to “Ontario”