• Advertisement

Prepping in an Apartment

drwkids

Re: Prepping in an Apartment

Postby drwkids » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Question about mylar bags. Not all of mine did the super tight suction seal. The beans are like a hard little brick, but the rice not as much. I did some research most places said thats ok, because the air would be inert. Just wanted to check, is that true. Is ok that? thanks.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Yes. Thats ok.

Its not the 'air' persay your worried about but the Oxygen. That solid 'brick' feeling is nice I agree, but not mandatory. The one thing to keep an eye outforthat there isnt a tiny leak in the bag that would be evident if it was that super tight finish. its harder to detect otherwise. Ive yet to see the perfect technique with no crimps using a hair straightener on a mylar bag. :)

LDS bags of food never come 'hard' they always have air in them. but oxygen is what you want absorbed which allows the growth of almost all microbes. Other gases are 'okay' sort of.... :)
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:36 am

I put my oxygen absorber in the bag then use my vacume sealer with a straw inserted to allow air flow to be sucked out. The sealer will melt right through straw as well to seal the bag. Afterwards I use the wider sealer to shut the bag better. Works great
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 am

Water storage. I have started my research in adding to effective water storage in an apartment. Thoughts? What do you do? How often do you rotate your water? Do you put anything in it to keep it fresh?
Let me know.
Thanks
0 x

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:31 am

Water storage in an apartment. 2lt pop bottles washed and sterilized work great fit in small spaces around other stuff to. Just treat with a few drops of regular bleach. best used for cooking and hygene but could be used for drinking in a pinch
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

razerp

Postby razerp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:14 pm

my main water storage (pitiful as it is) is 10L spring water bottles with the carry handles and taps.. I leave them in the cardboard box - makes for easier stacking.

I also have a few 6 packs of 1.5L spring water bottles that I rotate through. with an hours warning I can fill up my extra containers a few 10L collapsible, a 25L and several 1 to 5L bottles and containers.

I have about 10 3L juice bottles I cleaned out and filled just for hygiene/cleaning
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

underprepared

Postby underprepared » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Remember that most dwellings have large hot water tanks. Your preps should include a short length of garden hose with a valve on it. You will also need a means to filter rust and sediment from this water source.
0 x

CSG

Postby CSG » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:56 pm

for water I would look at the largest containers that I can store and seal made from a food grade HDPE(high density poly ethylene). Fill them up and store them somewhere cool. The funny thing about water is that a lot of people say you need to rotate it but if you have a way of purifying it you can store it indeffinitly in one of these containers and purify it when you need it. Just make sure that you do not store it somewhere warm or exposed to sunlight at it will strat to grow bugs.
Good methods to purify are chlorine bleach (few drops per litre), Tinture of iodine (5-10 drops per litre), Povidone Iodine (10-20 drops per litre), water filtration system (berkey, UV, katydine etc....) and many others.

Old blue food grade blue 55 gal barrels are great but not so good for an apartment. I like mule skinners idea of the pop bottles they are all HDPE and small enough to fit in all sorts of apartment places.
0 x
CSG

Paracord is your friend

Geoste
Canada

Postby Geoste » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Mule Skinner wrote:Water storage in an apartment. 2lt pop bottles washed and sterilized work great fit in small spaces around other stuff to. Just treat with a few drops of regular bleach. best used for cooking and hygene but could be used for drinking in a pinch

CSG wrote:I like mule skinners idea of the pop bottles they are all HDPE and small enough to fit in all sorts of apartment places.

I think I'll use this idea myself.

Also, if you have advance warning, or time to fill it, there is this product I am planning to buy:
http://totalprepare.ca/product/aquapodkit/
Amazon.Ca has this too but for a couple bucks more. Be aware of shipping, though, and play their free shipping quota games.
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 am

Next question. Everyone says something different. But how much water do you really need per day per person. Liters please.
0 x

Return to “Ontario”