• Advertisement

Prepping in an Apartment

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Prepping in an Apartment

Postby helicopilot » Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Or at least have the equipment available now so you can convert later if needs be? If you're the only one in the area, it's use can go both ways : highlight you as a target or if you help everyone water-wise, then maybe they'll "check your 6" in return.
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Thu May 07, 2015 11:51 pm

There is another option which i checked out years ago, as i have one of those portable well drill rigs...now in need of a new motor...
There were several 12v direct current submersible pumps available, and one of them was as small as 1-5/8" in diameter, which would fit in a 2" casing with a 1"or 3/4" plastic pipe. They can be run by solar direct or solar/battery . They are often used in the remote field for purging a new well or a clouded water problem. These were advertised as good for over a thousand hours....not bad for an emergency. They are also used for polluted water testing
Since you seem to have a dug well with a large cavity, you don't have to go that small. There were others 12v , which were longer lasting....but with a bigger electrical draw.
Re inconspicuous, i'm thinking ...( Unless your house roof is fairly close for mounting a solar panel and running heavy enough cable from house to well ), several feet from your well, between your well and the house, put up a tall birdhouse on a 3" steel post , out of sight-range of its roof, from any angle , if possible. Use one or both of the angled slopes of its roof for a solar panel (s).Run the wire down thru the pipe, exiting shielded out the bottom and into your well casing attached to the pump , and via the same dug trench you would then also run your 3/4 pipe to the house in the other direction.
You'd have to be careful not to dig into your existing pipe/wire trench location coming from your well. Best to shut off the power for that operation.
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Fri May 08, 2015 12:32 am

Bringing this back to prepping in an apartment. So if you need 4 liters per day. How much for drinking vrs other (half and half I think?) what are some feasible storage options for an apartment? I like the pop bottle idea but at 4 liters a day per person thats 8 bottles a day. That adds up really fast. And being in an apartment means limited space. Any more ideas? Even at half and half thats 2/3 case of water a day for drinking, and 4 pop bottles.
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Fri May 08, 2015 5:41 am

regular bathtubs can hold around 160 liters. That's 40 days of water at 4 liters per day. If you plan to bug in for more than that you might want to rethink that and move someplace else where there's still water.
All you need is a good plug and a water filter for drinking water. Forget about the waterblob and similar, it's a waste of money as it's a one time use.
Also you can fill up every pot in the house, all the sinks, washer and dishwasher if you have. And a few collapsible water containers like this one:
https://www.relianceproducts.com/produc ... on/81.html

The idea is that in any emergency you should have enough time to fill up before the water system gets drained. If you think long term, a tarp to collect rain water.
Last edited by prom on Sat May 09, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Fri May 08, 2015 9:38 am

Sad I never even thoughts of the bath tub. Great and easy idea. :)
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 pm

drwkids wrote:Bringing this back to prepping in an apartment. So if you need 4 liters per day. How much for drinking vrs other (half and half I think?) what are some feasible storage options for an apartment? I like the pop bottle idea but at 4 liters a day per person thats 8 bottles a day. That adds up really fast. And being in an apartment means limited space. Any more ideas? Even at half and half thats 2/3 case of water a day for drinking, and 4 pop bottles.

The split is 3L consumption and 1L for hygiene/other use. As you can guess..it isnt a lot at all.

Like mentioned in the post above the tub is a great option. If you see trouble on the horizons, fill anything and everything up you can. There are water storage containers, and the following is one that is mentioned quite often here...a really great idea:
http://www.thereadystore.com/65-gallon- ... -container

If your by a Dollarama any time soon, in the outdoors/camping section they are selling collapsible water containers (I think they are 4L ones) for $1.25 each. They are small, collapsed with a detachable spigot on them. Perhaps its an option to consider to fill them when needed if disaster strikes. Water pressure in the city system will not stop immediately. Dependent on the use, etc. you could have hours or days before it would stop. Are you near a water tower?
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 am

I will definitely go to Dollarama and pick up a few. I like the idea that they are collapsible. A much better idea for apartment storage. No no water tower close by.
0 x

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Sun May 10, 2015 2:56 pm

These jugs from the dollar store are great I forgot all about them. I have about 4 doz in my storage shed.
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sun May 10, 2015 6:45 pm

Those jugs are really good until you bump them after filling. They will split quite easily then. We live in an old (70's vintage double wide with poor flooring) One of our cats slid on the floor and hit her head on one of those jugs. Didn't know it till the next day when I saw an empty jug. All the water ran through the floor to the crawl space under the mobile. I now treat the floor loading like an apartment. I store heavy things like water against a wall, where the steel frame is.
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon May 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Ive never had a problem with them leaking. But they are definitely not high grade thick plastic made for camping, outdoors, etc. I cant say I've had a problem with them as being as fragile that a cat head buts them and they leak...I've jostled them, knocked them over, etc. and no issues...that being said I cant see them being used long term as they will eventually break. For $1.25 each your not getting a high end quality product. But compact, easy to store and quick to pull out to fill up in a bind...perfect.

Mentioning an apartment and loading is a good point KK. Water is 1kg/Litre. Storing hundreds of litres of water distributed throughout an apartment style condo shouldnt be an issue. Especially if you have a concrete floor. But concentrating loads could be a problem if they get excessive. Actually in a wood frame home it would be a bigger problem on wood joists than in an apartment. Storing it on a the concrete slab either in the basement or garage mitigates the issue.

One benefit of a condo building high rise apartment style is they are made of non combustible construction, and concrete/steel. So the loads they can take are more than a wood frame say like a residential house...plus if you gave me a choice of weathering out a storm/tornado/etc. in an apartment building vs. a stick frame house...I'd be more apt to take cover in an apartment building. Concrete trumps wood.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “Ontario”