• Advertisement

EASTERN ONTARIO MEET - AUGUST 13TH, 2016 – LAROSE FOREST

Adagio
Canada

EASTERN ONTARIO MEET - AUGUST 13TH, 2016 – LAROSE FOREST

Postby Adagio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:39 pm

This year will be the 5th anniversary of the Eastern Ontario Meet and in recognition of this event Farmgal and I are planning a special day. Hence the early post to alert members well in advance so that members can mark their calendars, and if need be, make travel plans in order to attend what is shaping up to be an excellent day full of fun and learning.

This year’s event will be held on the Saturday allowing members coming from further away an extra day to travel back to work for the Monday. Those who wish can camp at the Paradis Camping Ground only minutes away from the event. Details on directions and cost to follow.

We will be following a similar agenda as in the past with a few exceptions. We are extending the event into the early evening and will be providing a corn roast – on us. Farmgal is already planning a corn plant specifically for this event. So yes, fresh corn directly from Farmgals’ own farm. Yum.

We will arrive at the location for about 8am and set up a coffee table so anyone wishing to drop by earlier is more than welcome to come sit and chat.

We will start the day off with a meet and greet from 9 to 10 where each member will have about 5 or 10 minutes (give or take) to speak about themselves, and what they have been up to. Then we want to move right into the presentations. We will do 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. While these are always subject to change, to date we have confirmation from 4 presenters. One on beekeeping, egg hatchery using incubators, wool spinning from raw wool and another on the secrets of pruning.

At noon we will break for a potluck lunch and a chat. Once we get a better idea on the attendance we will let everyone know so they can bring enough for everyone to try (or not). This is not a requirement. If you prefer you could just bring something for yourself to munch on. I will be bringing some bottled water, a few paper plates, napkins and plastic forks and knives.

After the presentations we will have another barter session. You can bring canning goods, plants or other treasures you think might be of interest to others. Remember we are not allowed to sell on the premises (only barter). If you do wish to sell your wares this must be done off-side.

Throughout the event, we will have games and be awarding small prizes to both adults and kids alike. We have been very lucky this year and we have prize donations coming in from a number of former attendees. Anyone wishing to contribute a prize can contact me via private message.

This is a family affair so if you wish to bring your kids – please do so. We also understand that not everyone can spend the whole day with us, so if you wish, just drop in for an hour of two.

There is a fairly large covered area which means this is a rain or shine event. Bugs can be a problem in the woods so you may wish to bring an insect repellent. There is no electricity or running water at the location, but there is an outhouse across the road.

If you think you can come, you can either respond on the forum or pm me directly.

Farmgal and I are very excited about this years event and are really looking forward to meeting new and old members in big numbers. Stayed tuned for further updates throughout the coming months.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: EASTERN ONTARIO MEET - AUGUST 13TH, 2016 – LAROSE FOREST

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:30 pm

I truly hope that I get to see some of our regulars from over the years and that this years longer event (including a number of extra ways to get some face to face visiting time in) and the change to the Saturday, helps those that are traveling longer hours to get to the meet itself.

I am very excited to be planning, to add the corn growing in my garden, while I know that its way to early to get a true head count, if you are even thinking about coming.. please just say.. maybe? and just give me a number on here if comfortable or send it PM to Adangio so I have had a idea of how many in your party.. IF you eat lots of corn, throw in a extra number in there..

I want to make sure I am planting enough that will be ready for this event, please an thanks. As with our normal potluck, Ideally no one will leave hungry!

As time comes on, we will be doing more detailed updates on the outlines of the presentations..

I will give a little hint, The person giving the fruit tree pruning seminar, is highly skilled, in demand and normally gets brought in by other business to do groups of training at a good cost to those attending her training seminars

(if you are local and want more info, PM me.. she is personally running a series of seminars locally at a very reasonable cost, some are how to take overgrown fruit trees and grape vines and bring them back into production and others are how to correctly shape growth on young fruit trees and fruiting bushes and other still are how to trim for max fruit production. Total of four different dates and classes are currently being offered a three month period)

I was thrilled to book her for our event..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:59 pm

I have it marked on my calendar.
PrepHer
0 x

Grouchyprepper

Postby Grouchyprepper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm

I can make it up there.
Count me in.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:32 pm

This is great. Already 2 responses. Grouchy will you be bringing your bus?
0 x

Grouchyprepper

Postby Grouchyprepper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Was planning on it.
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Ok then. I will pm you. I have a proposal to make.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Going for sure!
Yes, Grouchy...please bring the bus.
I really wanted to have a look last year, but with our scheduling issues....well.
I hope to set aside some of the homemade sausages for this year's pot luck!
I can't guarantee that though...this was a particularly yummy batch!
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Oh yum. Sausages. I really hope you can save a few for the meet.
0 x

Oddmott
Canada

Postby Oddmott » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 am

I'm in and excited to meet you all.
0 x
It's coming... and it's going to hurt!

Return to “Ontario”