• Advertisement

Alternative Cooking Source?

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby HopeImReady » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Goldie, where did you find your fireplace crane? I have been looking at getting one. Did you have it built into the fireplace surround?
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

PaleSun

Postby PaleSun » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 pm

For summer time I'm building an outdoor kitchen. This is a long project.

* An open firepit against a natural flat rock wall. I dug in some granite slabs to make a tandoori oven below the ashes. The swinging pot-crane is just a piece of street-pipe pounded in and cemented near ground level.

I'd like to add a home made rocket stove and eventually a cobb oven for baking.

cheers :)
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:25 pm

WarBoar wrote:Hey guys. Just wondering what you guys use or plan to use when the power goes out?
I have a wood stove but that can be to much when it's warm out or just a waste when I'm cooking something small. A few months ago I purchased a BUSHBOX XL. ...Check it out on YouTube, tons of reviews.

That's a great stove for hiking. It's pricy though. For semi-portability (vehicle) you might want to look at getting a rocket stove. StoveTec has a good one and are basically indestructible. I have six 25 pound bottles of propane for a two burner BBQ, an additional two burner stove, a large solar cooker, a fire pit, white box alcohol stove and have a StoveTec on the way.
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm

I was indulging the internet last night, looking for small wood stoves, ran across a couple of neat designs. The first was out of Norway, called the GStove. It looks fantastic, maybe a little small, but it is designed for portability. Quite a few options that are suitable for cold weather survival. Made from stainless steel, so not cheap, but very slick, looks like a fine piece of kit for the bugout bag.
https://www.gstove.no/en/categories/stoves
I wish it had secondary burn, but the burn chamber is so small, I doubt it's feasible.

The other stove that caught my eye was from Silverfire. I have a skirted pot from them, went looking to see what they have these days, and they've expanded they're product line significantly, since I last looked. What caught my eye is the Tent Dragon, a wood stove with integrated oven and burner plate, that burns with secondary combustion. Engineer775 does a quick promo of it on Youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCzG3JgSLD8 ), if you're interested.
Made from 11-gauge steel, looks like an excellent semi-permanent cooker. Fire it up in the back yard if there's no energy going to your stove, that kinda thing. A bit big for me to think of it as portable, but the secondary burn is a big plus, for me.
https://www.silverfire.us/multi-tent-dragon

1 x

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Well hello Warboar and fellow preppers
I've been gone for a bit but I'm back, here's a product origionaly from Ireland way back when you need to check out.....
I just purchased a Kelly Kettle Scout.
My first test was -10 c windy and with only a few twigs 1 litre of v.cold water from lighting to a full boil only six minutes .
I am really goona stoke it up and go for speed next time, I was on my front porch trying it out last time
Check out some you tube videos a quality product, lots of sizes and adds to suit your needs.
I'm sure you will love it
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

Return to “Ontario”