• Advertisement

Alternative Cooking Source?

WarBoar
Canada

Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby WarBoar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey guys. Just wondering what you guys use or plan to use when the power goes out?
I have a wood stove but that can be to much when it's warm out or just a waste when I'm cooking something small. A few months ago I purchased a BUSHBOX XL. It's a small wood campfire stove. I've used it many times now and love it. It's not the cheapest stove out there but it does everything I need. I hike a little and love that it folds up. You can cook an entire meal with a few sticks. Check it out on YouTube, tons of reviews.
0 x

Joe_O
Canada

Re: Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby Joe_O » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:04 pm

We are well supplied for cooking without power. Big BBQ and 3 full tanks of propane. 3 double burner camp stoves and lots of fuel. Numerous single burner campstoves and a couple dozen fuel canisters. Biolite wood burining camp stove. Back yard firepit and a good bit of dry hardwood firewood.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Re: Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby Goldie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I think having a variety of stoves is a good idea.
Obviously some are suited for home use.

Also having a variety of stoves with different fuel capabilities is also key.

My stoves:
-EcoZoom rocket stove
-Coleman 2 burner old fashioned Naptha Fuel
-Coleman peak 1 single burner portable Multi Fuel but I only use Naptha in it
-Small take apart stove that will burn alcohol, wood, solid fuel. ( Ohuhu brand) there are several brands using same style on this
-Kelly Kettle smallest size with pot/burner accessory
- coghlans folding stove for use with canned fuel so can be used indoors

I do not have a Trangia

My next will be the type that fold flat for the backpack, and I think I will get 2 so would
have the ability to boil water and also cook food at the same time without waiting.

There are several brands of fold flat stoves so would like to hear some pros and cons on some of them.
Such as Firebox, Bushbox, Emberlit

One idea I had is that the folding type are so small that perhaps they could be used INSIDE
the fireplace in the house for use with little pieces of wood to be able to cook inside ?
Has this idea got any merit ?
2 x

Return to “Ontario”