• Advertisement

Alternative Cooking Source?

WarBoar
Canada

Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby WarBoar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey guys. Just wondering what you guys use or plan to use when the power goes out?
I have a wood stove but that can be to much when it's warm out or just a waste when I'm cooking something small. A few months ago I purchased a BUSHBOX XL. It's a small wood campfire stove. I've used it many times now and love it. It's not the cheapest stove out there but it does everything I need. I hike a little and love that it folds up. You can cook an entire meal with a few sticks. Check it out on YouTube, tons of reviews.
0 x

Joe_O
Canada

Re: Alternative Cooking Source?

Postby Joe_O » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:04 pm

We are well supplied for cooking without power. Big BBQ and 3 full tanks of propane. 3 double burner camp stoves and lots of fuel. Numerous single burner campstoves and a couple dozen fuel canisters. Biolite wood burining camp stove. Back yard firepit and a good bit of dry hardwood firewood.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I think having a variety of stoves is a good idea.
Obviously some are suited for home use.

Also having a variety of stoves with different fuel capabilities is also key.

My stoves:
-EcoZoom rocket stove
-Coleman 2 burner old fashioned Naptha Fuel
-Coleman peak 1 single burner portable Multi Fuel but I only use Naptha in it
-Small take apart stove that will burn alcohol, wood, solid fuel. ( Ohuhu brand) there are several brands using same style on this
-Kelly Kettle smallest size with pot/burner accessory
- coghlans folding stove for use with canned fuel so can be used indoors

I do not have a Trangia

My next will be the type that fold flat for the backpack, and I think I will get 2 so would
have the ability to boil water and also cook food at the same time without waiting.

There are several brands of fold flat stoves so would like to hear some pros and cons on some of them.
Such as Firebox, Bushbox, Emberlit

One idea I had is that the folding type are so small that perhaps they could be used INSIDE
the fireplace in the house for use with little pieces of wood to be able to cook inside ?
Has this idea got any merit ?
2 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 pm

I've got a couple of camping stoves - a single burner that sits atop a green 1lb bottle of propane, and a Coleman Powermax Xtreme (although fuel bottles are no longer produced -frown-). Got a gasifying twig burner off of eBay for, like, $20, which works well, and a couple of Kelly Kettles for just boiling water. To conserve energy, I'd be making food that could cook itself in a thermal cooker, like a vacuum thermos bottle - bring a stew to a boil and fill the flask, seal it and let is cook in its own heat.

0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Don't forget solar stoves. I have done a few meals with them. But you have to start early to eat. But they work. Takes practice to cook stuff
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 pm

I have a wood fireplace and lots of seasoned firewood. The trick is you also need cast iron cookware that you can put in the fire and something to put in on or hang from. I got a pot that has little legs. For smaller cooking or in warm weather, I have gel fuel fold flat stoves. One thing I discovered is that the gel dries up so rotate it. Whether you can use a stove inside or outside usually depends on the type of fuel and whether you are venting it near a window as well. I also have an outdoor charcoal BBQ.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Alternatives for me: 1. Wood cookstove that I use all fall/winter/spring. 2. Outside BBQ with side burner 3. wood fire pit with grill 4. Chimnea with grill
As others mentioned, a variety of cooking methods is ideal.
PrepHer
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:32 am

I have a number of alternatives: propane stove, propane BBQ, multi-fuel stove, alcohol stove, fire pit and solar oven.
0 x

henry

Postby henry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:43 pm

I agree with PrepHer wood is reliable and cheap. You can cook ,heat ,smoke heat water and so on . If you use any gas now it cost you money in case of disaster sooner or later you will run out of it . If you set up for wood you are set up for any scenario. Cooking with wood even taste better.
Henry
1 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Since my last post on this I have added a 2nd Ecozoom rocket stove , and the hobo stove accessory for the Kelly Kettle Trekker.

Is anyone using charcoal or wood chunks in their ecozoom or firebox ? I am not sure of the best types to use ? I would think
the wooden natural lump / natural wood charcoal / even hickory chunks would be better than black charcoal.

Another cooking source idea is to add a swinging fireplace crane and a tuscan grill and some
fireplace trivets, if you have an indoor fireplace and cast iron pots.
2 x

Return to “Ontario”