• Advertisement

Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

Postby helicopilot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:38 am

I've finally opened my seed packets I had ordered from Vesey's to start my seedlings indoor.

This is my first time ordering seeds from a professional place as opposed to buying them from displays at chain stores. I have to say I was quite surprised by the small amount of seeds in each packets.

For example, I've paid $5.95 for my "Big Brady" tomatoes and the packet contained only 14 seeds!
My packet of organic lunchbox peppers at $7.25 also contained only 14 seeds.

Is that the right amount for the price? I get they supposedly sell better quality and that they are organic and all, but those prices are at least double that of the chain stores and their packs usually contain a couple dozen seeds. I was super thrilled receiving my box of seeds, but now I feel somewhat cheated. Maybe I'll be happier when I get bushelfulls of tomatoes and peppers, but for now, I almost regret my purchase.

Is this the norm with seed catalog places? I'm I over-reacting or over-thinking this?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

Postby farmgal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Helicopilot

Yes and no..

Yes, you will certainly find that the store packages that are selling the basic's tend to put more seeds per package, but when ordering online from the places I do (not sure about Versey's as I have not used them) but its standard, they will tell you weight or seed count per package. So while I can understand the huh.. now you will know that you will need to look at the counts per item, not just for figuring out row planting but to decide if its worth the cost to you.

and the No, is because it is normal, and because typically when you are buying seeds for organic and Heritage, your plan is to grow them out and then seed save from them.. most of the companies know this, that a good percent of the buyers will also be seed savers and they tend to increase the price on them and reduce the seed count on them to try and give us less genetic starting material.

So if you like what you grow.. save seed and then they will give you bushelfulls and you will not need to buy at those prices again :)

Ps, never waste your money on organic seeds, just get heritage open and grow them organic, it will save you money in the long run and the plants are the same, its just how the parent plant in the last gen was treated or the soil treated.. it does not cross over to the seed that is saved.

FG
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks for the words of wisdom FarmGal! Another "to-do" for next year : learn to save seeds.
0 x

Liezurly
Canada

Postby Liezurly » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Question about seeds. I've heard that plants are being altered so that once grown the seeds produced in the batch will not regrow new batches. A sensible money ploy for "them" i'm sure, but is there truth in it? And if at the moment it is not true, then could it become true down the road? I guess at this point in time if seeds can still be harvested and planted succesfully would it be wise to collect them while they are still able to reproduce? Then there would be the matter of being able to store the seeds so they don't go bad. Plant some, store some?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello Liezurly

There is a lot of small seed saving companies and local farmers-gardeners.. Google Seedy Saturday and it will pull up local seed events planned across Canada and if you want a good grasp on a lot of the Canadian smaller seed growers, the Small Farm Canada seed list month is outstanding in sharing them from coast to coast.

On facebook in every area are local seed and garden groups and local plantcyle groups that gift splits, seeds and more.. in Ottawa there is also the travel seed box's, and a number of library programs that loan you seed in the spring to plant and that share how you save seed an you put a portion of it back to the seed library in the fall so that it grows more for the next years folks that borrow and so forth.

For one of the best seed saving books, I recommend seed to seed which I know is locally available in the Ottawa library system, as others have talked about borrowing it :)

Now more to the point about your question.. there are many companies that sell seed that is some form of a Hybred seed, that means that this generation will produce to a standard, bigger yields or better rust protection or Z, W, K reason's why its better then its two parent types. The seed is not sterile but it is hybred, which means that the next generation is unstable in how it produces.. some of the plants will be more like the two parent plans, some will be more like the hybred seed sold and some will be a mix of them..

Hope that helps a bit.. Farmgal, who has now be contracted to raise heritage seed for a few years (including extra training on selection and harvest etc) for a seed company.. that then sells it Canada wide from their site, and who is involved in a number of land race breeding programs for different plants in the Ottawa valley.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Ontario”