• Advertisement

Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

Postby thecrownsown » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm

It wont be long until its time to start indoor plantings to get a head start on the garden...and the seed companies know it. I've received most of my catalogues already. If you havn't ordered yours, below is a list of free catalogues they will send you by mail. There's always some very cool and new options to try out!

Veseys
https://veseys.com/ca/en/catalogue?gcli ... wAod1OEBbQ

Stokes
https://www.stokeseeds.com/catalog_order.aspx

OSC
http://www.oscseeds.com/Request-A-Catalogue.htm

WH Perron
https://www.dominion-seed-house.com/en/ ... _catalog=1

William Dam Seeds
https://www.damseeds.ca/productcart/pc/requestcatpc.asp

If I missed any companies please add them!
3 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Sylvie2674
Canada

Re: Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

Postby Sylvie2674 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Stokes has already sent me their catalog.
They are pretty quick.
1 x
I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

RachelM
Canada

Re: Plan on Gardening? Here's A List Of Seed Companies That Will Send You Catalogues

Postby RachelM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:46 pm

I've just ordered online from William Dam. I was originally looking at Heritage Harvest out of MB, but was glad to find something more local that wasn't what I see in every garden centre around. It will be my first year starting seeds indoors rather than just buying started plants, so I'm excited to see how I do! Heritage has a really large variety of rarely seen and hard to find heirlooms and uncommon varietals if anyone is looking for something really neat or different. They are however a bit more expensive and I imagine there will be extra shipping from several provinces away.
3 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:44 pm

if you want to see a very long list of seed companies across Canada, Small Farm Canada has their annual Seed Company Lists out in this last issue.. its amazing to me how many smaller closer companies I have found on their lists.

I have ordered for a number of years from Heritage Harvest and their catalog is very good, yes, as heritage seeds, they are a little more costly and do read each one closely as some packages will have less seeds. The shipping costs are the same across Canada for most of the seed companies, based on number of packages you order typically up to x for one price and then y for the next up in weight.

For closer to home, don't forget to look for your local Seedy Saturday events.
2 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 am

I'm new to ordering seeds and my first experience has been with Veseys. Was pleased to have free shipping (less some berry plants I've pre-ordered). Shipment arrived promptly and was well packaged, even with convenient instructions on them. I don't suggest that they are better than anyone out there as maybe there are better deals, but wanted to say my experience has been good so far.
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Helicopilot, Veseys is a good company, they have been around for a long time and I have used for myself for a few things over the years before I started ordering in bulk to get the commercial pricing by working with other bigger gardeners in our area.

The big thing to remember when looking at the seeds to order is to read for zone, days till harvest, if they need early starts and if they are determinant or indeterminant (which means do they put a single hard pick now or are they a steady harvest till frost shuts them down).

Just using a simple example, my shortest season corn that we grow is ready in 92 days and my longest corn that I grow is a 120 days.. One can be planted in cold wet spring soil and thrive, the other need warm soil..

That is where sometimes looking at open pollinated heritage seeds can be worth it, its possible to buy seeds that have a hundred plus years of working in your personal climate zone.. I remember the work I had to do to find seeds that would grow and finish up in Yellowknife compared to alberta and now in Ontario, its been another full learning curve at my new zone..

PS.. Awesome on the free shipping!
2 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

pbs
Canada

Postby pbs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 pm

3 x
Do you want to make a little prep money? Try here. www.swagbucks.com/refer/pbs413

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:20 pm

I got a free gift cert. from Amazon last year and ordered these online:

https://www.amazon.ca/Vegetable-Seeds-N ... 0000+seeds

They go on sale from time to time for less than $10. I don't really care about non gmo vs. gmo only whats the best quality for the least amount of money...and these seeds were great. Only one bad seed in the entire tomato lot, and watermelon and peppers were amazing. (2 bad seeds in the peppers.)
3 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

pbs
Canada

Postby pbs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm

I picked up the 15,000+ Non-gmo Heirloom Vegetable Seeds 32 Variety Pack $15

I will be picking the 100% NON-GMO Heirloom Culinary and Medicinal Herb Kit $16 next week. Then supplement with seeds from Richters.com
2 x
Do you want to make a little prep money? Try here. www.swagbucks.com/refer/pbs413

Dragonwriter
Canada

Postby Dragonwriter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 am

I've ordered from Heritage Harvest for a few years now and I'm always happy with their seeds. :D

Trimmed with respect to space...
farmgal wrote:if you want to see a very long list of seed companies across Canada, Small Farm Canada has their annual Seed Company Lists out in this last issue.. its amazing to me how many smaller closer companies I have found on their lists.

I have ordered for a number of years from Heritage Harvest and their catalog is very good, yes, as heritage seeds, they are a little more costly and do read each one closely as some packages will have less seeds. The shipping costs are the same across Canada for most of the seed companies, based on number of packages you order typically up to x for one price and then y for the next up in weight.
1 x
“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
[i]Stephen King[/i]

Return to “Ontario”