• Advertisement

Eastern Ottawa and Area Summer Get Together Aug 12th

farmgal
Canada

Eastern Ottawa and Area Summer Get Together Aug 12th

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello Folks

Well, there are some changes to announce for the summer event for 2017.

we have a change of location, we will be moving to a community hall about 15 min give or take from the town of Arnprior, Ontario. This means that instead of being about 45 min outside of Ottawa east, we will be heading 45 mins outside of Ottawa west for 2017.

For the first time ever, we will be in a hall, with running water, washrooms, power and table and chairs set up for speakers and so forth. We will require folks to either PM to reserve or you can send me a pm and I will be happy to send you my email address..

We will not be publicly giving the events address on the board, we will provide all information and updates like normal here on this thread but the physical address will be given out privately.

We will be doing our standard one day event, but it will be on the Saturday so that if anyone is traveling, they can come up for the Saturday and drive home on the sunday..

There is a Walmart in Arnprior for those looking for a free overnight parking spot and the hall is also within 15 min of a provincial park, if you want to do camping, and there are a number of local hotels and motels as well.

There is no public bussing to the area-sorry

As per the last two years, we will have a mix of folks from the board and a mix of locals interested in what will be presented during the day. We will have hot coffee and water for tea out all day.

This schedule is subject to change, we will do our best to keep it to this but life happens :)

Our gathering will run from 9am to 4pm (with visiting in the parking lot afterwards more then welcome), there is a park off the hall for anyone that needs to stretch their legs and get a breath of fresh air. Lots of parking available.

9 to 9:30 - Setup an coffee- meet and greet

9:30 to 10am- BSFL ( Black Solider Fly Larva) Protein from thin air including a hands on look at a bucket (no flies or larva will be at the event)

10am 10:45- Edible Landscaping -Growing food in plain site

11am to 11:45 - Rabbits 101 -No live rabbits will be there but there will be a stuffy to use in a hands on part of it.

12-Potluck or bring your own lunch -your choice.. the normal rules apply, Bring your own meal only, or bring a dish for the potluck that is shared with everyone, please bring your own dishes, plates, cups and so forth, the only difference is that this year, we can put things into the fridge if required.

1pm- kombucha tea -including baby scoobies to take home if you would like one (there will be a limit on how many are brought to the event)

1:30 pm - Rennet -Traditional Animal and Plant based Rennet

2pm to 3:45pm - Basic Cheese Making- Yogurt, soft farmers cheese -Paneer

4pm, draws for door prizes or baskets (you must be there to win, nothing will be shipped or saved)

Clean up and visiting in the parking lot is welcome. There are a couple picnic tables out in the park so you are welcome to head over and have a visit with folks.

The day itself is jam packed and will be moving at a very brisk pace, the main presentation will be taking place in the main hall, if folks have questions and want follow up and its not the same person, there is room for folks to slip away and have a quiet chat towards the front hall. Bring your journal-paper and pens as there will be a ton of information being presented.

Hope to see you there.. Comment here with questions and send me a pm if you prefer
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Brownacres
Canada

Re: Eastern Ottawa and Area Summer Get Together Aug 12th

Postby Brownacres » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:26 am

I would like to attend this event with my family this summer if it's alright. We have been going to the one in Toronto, but this one is a whole lot closer. Besides food, plates and writing media, is there anything else that we should bring. Do we need to bring any money? How do I find out if there are any other events, such as courses or "equipment yard sale"? We get emails from the other one that tells us, like the canning day this month. I apologize if I asked too much, but it would be nice to know how to find things out.
Thanks
Jeff
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:44 am

hi jeff, of we would love to have you come to the event, look forward to meeting the family

always feel like you can ask questions. because we are at the hall, we will have tables and chairs set up, there are washrooms, and coat room an such, so just bring personal things snacks an such, we do accept gifts for the raffle draws, but that is not required in any way, we are paying for the hall and so we will have a donation jar but its up to you on if and what you want to donate. Having said that its not required.

The person who presenting the edible landscape, does have a really good book in this regards and I will ask her to bring copies, they are 20, but No one is required to get one, otherwise, we do not do sale tables at the event.

if folks want to work out private sales or barters etc it needs to be done before hand and not in the hall.. it really is very much a no sale, no company's event.. I am only allowing the "book" as add on to the presentation.

As for other events, there are a few others that might be coming up, i will work on figuring out how to keep folks updated and get back to you on that in the near future.
0 x

Grouchyprepper

Postby Grouchyprepper » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 am

I be there
Please send info when you can
thank you
1 x

HopeImReady

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:43 am

The edible landscaping sounds amazing. My sister taught me how to make cheese - looking forward to that session and the kombucha one.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 am

Hi Farmgal,
I'm planning to attend. Thanks.
PrepHer
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks folks for letting me know, If you have commented here, I have added you to the list of who's coming.. Looking forward to seeing you there..

For all the local's today, enjoy the shoveling out.. so much snow!
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14 am

screw it.....you are all stuck with me again this year. :)
2 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am

it will be nice to see you, its going to be a great event!
1 x

archer12

Postby archer12 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Farmgal,

Enjoyed last years meeting. WIll be attending this years meeting also (2 please)

Thanks
0 x

Return to “Ontario”