• Advertisement

Vehicles. What's your thoughts?

CdnBadger
Canada

Vehicles. What's your thoughts?

Postby CdnBadger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:21 am

Really been rolling a lot of stuff around in my head lately about vehicle selection for bug out, off road, day to day etc. I'm driving an older truck that I really like due to the ease of repair, minimal amount of electronics and overall adaptability. It's in really good shape but it is older. Despite being solid and worth the effort parts are becoming scarcer and aftermarket option dwindling as suppliers move on to new horizons. What I find funny is the etest is what is really what hindering my options. If it wasn't for that I would just rip out the problem prone equipment and go straight up with proven mechanical options that can be repaired in the field easily. Basically ditch the computer and electronics and maybe add dana 60 upfront after sussing everything else out. I could build a bullet proof ride but regulation limits it. My question is this. Do you stock pile parts to keep a capable and simpler but older vehicle going and risk the age of it catching up to you... Or risk it all on a new truck and reap it's benefits all the while hoping to god it's electronics don't fail you when needed. Thoughts?
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Re: Vehicles. What's your thoughts?

Postby Wayne » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm relatively new to the forum. When I read questions like this it really stimulates my thinking... Rural or Urban bug-out? How far do you want/have to travel to get to safety? Can it be done on the road, or is it off-road? If off-road, are yo blazing your own trail or using secondary/logging roads? If you stockpile parts are you planning to take these with you, or leaving them at a pre-determined location? These questions seem to only bring-up more questions...

As to my thinking, I have a 4X4 truck which may assist me in getting to where I need to go. Once there, I don't expect to depend on using the truck again (unless the emergency passes). I keep the vehicle in good mechanical condition, so I'm not worried about a breakdown. It's possible however that it will be difficult to physically drive it at all (roads damaged/flooding/etc). If for some reason my vehicle wasn't available, I would think that there would be a plethora of vehicles laying around in another location, so I would acquire one. Many 2 and 3 car families would leave in one vehicle. Survival requires thinking outside of the box.

For me, bug-out is the last resort. My plan is to prepare to stay where I am. Pending a forest fire, it's likely that there won't be a necessity to leave, However I have to keep in-mind the best laid plans of mice and men... :-)
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Vehicles. What's your thoughts?

Postby HopeImReady » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am

Great topic - I debated on that myself, when my previous vehicle was reaching the 10-yr mark...until an idiot hit me almost head-on & totalled it > my choice made for me :(

I guess another consideration is whether you have to drive from your home to your BOL, or it IS your BOL, and if driving from work, how far. Then mileage (kilometerage?) may be a factor, if your old truck guzzles. The tradeoff for mileage would be the ability to carry more stuff & people - is it just yourself or lots of family/friends?
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Ontario”