• Advertisement

Seed Saving

RachelM
Canada

Seed Saving

Postby RachelM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:42 am

I'm hoping to start seed saving, now that I'm getting better at actually growing things from seeds! I was wondering how the more experienced go about saving biennials like carrot and onion? I was considering making one or two small 'seed beds' to grow these in. Most of my garden is in raised beds, and I want to rotate them yearly. I'm also toying with the idea of growing my own onion sets, as I am currently having good success with them. I was thinking maybe 2 5x2 beds like I currently have my potatoes in, so that they can grow undisturbed.
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Re: Seed Saving

Postby PrepHer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

I save carrot seeds simply by leaving in a few carrots in the garden to 'winter over'. They grow in the next spring and flower > after the flower is finished/dried, the seeds are there for the harvesting. I try to cut the whole seed flower into a brown paper bag, then shake the seeds off and dispose of the flower part in the compost.
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Re: Seed Saving

Postby RachelM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 pm

How long do they usually take into the second year? The onions I have seeding this year were totally by chance, I thought they had died off last year but the bulbs came back and I was able to move them out, but while they have been in flower for a while now I don't see mature seeds yet. I'm only worried about them taking up too much space and preventing turning over and rotation, which is why I thought keeping two little seed-saving beds might work better.
0 x

Return to “Ontario”