• Advertisement

Something Wicked This Way Comes

ShadyMapleTree
Canada

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Postby ShadyMapleTree » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey all,

I'm new here and just starting my preparations.

I'm acquiring a 14-day supply of food and water because the situation in the Korean Peninsula is becoming rather concerning. Trump's bluster isn't helping matters any and I do believe that people are vastly underestimating the seriousness of the situation. A diplomatic solution doesn't appear to be in the cards, nor do I think this latest round of sanctions is going to be any more effective than the last rounds of sanctions have been in trying to get North Korea to cease development of nuclear weapons and cease its provocative behaviours. In other words, I think war in the Korean peninsula is more, not less likely. And, as history has so amply shown, major wars have a tendency to spread.

Do I think Canada is under threat of being subjected to a nuclear attack by North Korea? No, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that North Korean weapons could inadvertently land on Vancouver or even Edmonton or Calgary while en route to targets in the US. While I wouldn't be immediately affected by such events as I live in southwestern Ontario, nuclear explosions in any of the cities mentioned could cause panic and chaos elsewhere in Canada and potentially disrupt supplies of food and other things. A nuke landing on Vancouver could definitely cause problems for the rest of Canada as the city is home to major ports, and some food stuffs and other essentials come into the country via those ports.

Even if one or two major US cities was attacked, the resulting disruption could potentially affect Canada as well.

Then there is the risk that a war in the Korean Peninsula could trigger a wider nuclear war. If the nuclear exchange is limited, there is a chance that my area of the country could be subjected to varying levels of radioactive fallout coming in from ground-burst strikes on US military or other strategic targets, even if Canada itself wasn't targetted. In which case, I would likely need to shelter in place until the fallout subsided to safer levels. An event such as that would definitely disrupt access to food and other essentials.

However, if a general nuclear war erupts, all bets would be off, and most major Canadian cities would become targets, thus limiting everyone's chances of survival, whether they've laid in preps or not.

My goal is to have most, if not all of my supplies and preparations in place by September 1. The reason for this is that I've seen something on the web (from various reliable sources) indicating that the US is banning all travel to North Korea effective September 1. That's not just an attempt to further ratchet up the pressure on North Korea, but an indication the US is getting ready to do something substantive that could significantly affect US citizens in the Korean peninsula. One of the curious things I've seen in world history is that major wars have tended to start after the summer holidays are over!
1 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Postby helicopilot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:52 am

ShadyMapleTree wrote:Hey all,

I'm new here and just starting my preparations.

I'm acquiring a 14-day supply of food and water because the situation in the Korean Peninsula is becoming rather concerning. Trump's bluster isn't helping matters any and I do believe that people are vastly underestimating the seriousness of the situation. A diplomatic solution doesn't appear to be in the cards, nor do I think this latest round of sanctions is going to be any more effective than the last rounds of sanctions have been in trying to get North Korea to cease development of nuclear weapons and cease its provocative behaviours. In other words, I think war in the Korean peninsula is more, not less likely. And, as history has so amply shown, major wars have a tendency to spread.

Do I think Canada is under threat of being subjected to a nuclear attack by North Korea? No, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that North Korean weapons could inadvertently land on Vancouver or even Edmonton or Calgary while en route to targets in the US. While I wouldn't be immediately affected by such events as I live in southwestern Ontario, nuclear explosions in any of the cities mentioned could cause panic and chaos elsewhere in Canada and potentially disrupt supplies of food and other things. A nuke landing on Vancouver could definitely cause problems for the rest of Canada as the city is home to major ports, and some food stuffs and other essentials come into the country via those ports.

Even if one or two major US cities was attacked, the resulting disruption could potentially affect Canada as well.

Then there is the risk that a war in the Korean Peninsula could trigger a wider nuclear war. If the nuclear exchange is limited, there is a chance that my area of the country could be subjected to varying levels of radioactive fallout coming in from ground-burst strikes on US military or other strategic targets, even if Canada itself wasn't targetted. In which case, I would likely need to shelter in place until the fallout subsided to safer levels. An event such as that would definitely disrupt access to food and other essentials.

However, if a general nuclear war erupts, all bets would be off, and most major Canadian cities would become targets, thus limiting everyone's chances of survival, whether they've laid in preps or not.

My goal is to have most, if not all of my supplies and preparations in place by September 1. The reason for this is that I've seen something on the web (from various reliable sources) indicating that the US is banning all travel to North Korea effective September 1. That's not just an attempt to further ratchet up the pressure on North Korea, but an indication the US is getting ready to do something substantive that could significantly affect US citizens in the Korean peninsula. One of the curious things I've seen in world history is that major wars have tended to start after the summer holidays are over!

Welcome to IPN, ShadyMapleTree!

I commend you for starting on the way of preparedness, regardless of your motives. If I may, I'd like to caution you on "reading things on the internet" especially as it comes to preparedness. You'll find people may have their own hidden agenda and speculation/rumours abound. As a matter of example, I can tell you with a fair level of confidence that there are already no Americans travelling to the DPRK (other than that athlete buddy of Kim). Matter of factly, not too many people travel in/out of the DPRK, other than some sneaking in with activism agenda, at the risk of finding self in an unpleasant labour camp.

In all cases, I hope you'll find IPN to be a good source of information (I encourage you to use the search function) and a nice group to ask questions and bounce ideas. Perhaps you can also get some networking going!?.

Best,

HP.
1 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:45 am

China is N. Korea's leading trade partner (86% to China, Russia and Japan). On the other-hand, N. Korea isn't even in China's top 10. Interestingly enough, China's #1 trade partner is the U.S. and S. Korea ranks in at #3! It only took China to agree with the U.N. sanctions to force N. Korea to pull in it's horns.

I think that governments are largely influenced by currency. It's bad business to tick off your best customers. Unless the government of N. Korea is suicidal, they will not go against the grain too much. The populace needs to eat and Kim wants to maintain his lavish lifestyle. He needs trade for this to occur,

Nuclear weapons are another issue. The time to deter the production of them was years ago. The horse has left the barn, so closing the door is of little use. Everyone will have to deal. Using them is bad business. Having them does get N. Korea a seat at the table. I think that this was the main purpose behind their production. The cost of using them is too high.
1 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 am

No one stupid enough to push the button. No one wins a war with nukes. Its a lose lose if they push the button. Even if they survive. Another country would just take over whats left. As long as they don't get nailed to with missles.
1 x

ShadyMapleTree
Canada

Postby ShadyMapleTree » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 am

The situation seems to have calmed down somewhat in the last couple of weeks. I think the US aren't going to have any choice but to accept a nuclear-armed North Korea because of the risks posed to South Korea and Japan if the US were to attack North Korea. I think the best they can hope for is a freeze in North Korea's nuclear weapons programme. Total de-nuclearization is likely impossible to achieve without going to war.

Using nuclear weapons against anyone would be a suicidal move and would result in nearly instant retaliation and annihilation of Kim's regime. But then again, who knows? Maybe Kim is crazy enough and in the grip of a messianic complex such to see an assured victory if he finds a way to take down the US, even if it means a Pyrrhic victory on his part.

Whatever happens next, I'm going to continue with my preparations. Who knows what could be coming around the corner?
1 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Most news reports are saying the chance of a nuclear exchange are pretty low. The rhetoric aside...N. Korea should (I Hope) know that they wouldnt exist if they did decide to start a fight with America. If I was a dictator..and wanted to keep the good times rolling...picking a fight with the most technologically advanced and most powerful military in the world doesnt seem like a smart move.

America isnt interested in starting a conflict where its alley of S. Korea will suffer the brunt of a conflict...or Japan. And whether conventional or nuclear...devastation to Soeul or Tokyo...these two economic powers are closely tied to the rest of the global market....it would mean economic devastation across the globe.

Its good to be prepared. Shady Maple Tree is preparing for any contingent and I think thats a great idea. And if I can add my two cents...the 8 nukes or so that N. Korea has...has a small probability of ever being released before America can dispatch them...but even in a worse case scenario..the death, destruction and destabilization from destroying the globally intertwined economy may match that of a few nukes and its surrounding fallout.
1 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Return to “Ontario”